Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed DC Ceramic headers on my 2006 Xb today. Part #: SHC4401 from DC. Supposedly no one has had any problems with them on an 06, but here's the problem I'm having.

The install went fine and it is snug against the exhaust manifold, but when the header goes down to meet the down/cat pipe there is a donut that fits on the end which is in good shape no cracks/etc (this car has 900mi on it)and that forms the seal along with the spring loaded bolts. But no matter how many times we reseated everything (4x to be exact) I still have a leak. And its definately more pronounced under throttle/WOT.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I can't go around with that leak, while it's not going to cause any major issues, I'd like it to perform properly and give me a proper sound. The only difference is that in the stock header there's a bracket which bolts it to the frame which keeps the assembly rigid, but on the DC headers it does not have that. I'm wondering if I could somehow seal it with some flexible high-temp silicone just to close the leak?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
=cz=

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Get a Megan Racing Header instead, thats the only answer I have. Haven't had a problem with the Megan. Sorry:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Padanky said:
Get a Megan Racing Header instead, thats the only answer I have. Haven't had a problem with the Megan. Sorry:(
Thanks but i already bought the dc and they are installed.. i gotta figure this one out.. it's bugging me... I'm considering replacing the donut... there's gotta be a reason why they don't seal right

·
Registered
368 Posts
i also have the dc.
You try a new donut? I noticed that during install you need to tighten the 2 bolts ( was yours tapped or use nuts?) evenly. If the donut wasn't tightened down a little on each the donut deformed and would not seat properly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Frogbox said:
i also have the dc.
You try a new donut? I noticed that during install you need to tighten the 2 bolts ( was yours tapped or use nuts?) evenly. If the donut wasn't tightened down a little on each the donut deformed and would not seat properly.
I just got installed it today and the local auto store did not have that part lol.. looks like i may have to order one from scion/toyota.. (sigh.. there's more money down the drain on this POS)... I'm getting really frustrated with everything...Yeah i noticed the second time around reseating that torquing the bolts down (my header was threaded fine) little by little on each side made for a better fit.. it's not leaking as bad as it was but still is.. so maybe it is the donut malformed..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frogbox said:
So , any update as of yet?
I'm waiting for the donut gasket to come in from TRDSparks should be here tomorrow or friday.. then this weekend I'll tear it apart and re do it.. and probably do my drop too...

Oh yeah.. and sell my supercharger.. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.