Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
though i've had my xB since 2004, i'm barely joining the forums to see how other xBs are doing as mine approaches 300K miles...
i've done regular oil changes every 3500-7500 miles, replaced the brakes once, the tires multiple times, had all major services done at the 30K intervals and she's still running strong... but I'm wondering if anyone's has conked out at a certain mileage? I'm wondering what the life span is one these babies, i'm sorta worried about wear and tear :( still has the original clutch, haven't really had to replace anything big except for the transmission early on (in 2005) when the car started making an unfamiliar noise and metal shavings were found in the tranny fluid so it was still covered under my 100,000 mile warranty coverage i paid extra for and i basically got a new tranny.
Anyone else have higher mileage than this? Have you ran into issues as time has gone by? The only other things I've really done was replace the windshield once ('new' one, about 5 years old, already has a crack in it, oh well) and the automatic lock on the driver side went out (needs a new solenoid? but i just use the key and manually lock it now instead of replacing the assembly), other than that i've ran into no other problems...

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on such high mileage.

You are the 3rd highest I've seen...saw one last year with 400k+, it's probably pushing 500k now. And there's a guy that just hit 330k that I know of. Sounds like yours is still going strong, I only have 75k on mine lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and all the info, glad to know there are scions out there that are beyond my mileage! Is there a spot I can find those posts? Wondering if there're any problems I should expect to see at certain miles... & Maybe try to prevent them from happening if possible!

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
Here's the thread to the guy with 330k, he has a lot of info about his box in there, should be a good read for you.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202466

As far as the guy with 500k, I can't find it for the life of me. Sorry.

Also I wanna say I've heard of an echo with 1,000,000+ miles on it and the echo uses the same drivetrain as our boxes, so it's a good sign. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the thread to the guy with 330k, he has a lot of info about his box in there, should be a good read for you.

As far as the guy with 500k, I can't find it for the life of me. Sorry.

Also I wanna say I've heard of an echo with 1,000,000+ miles on it and the echo uses the same drivetrain as our boxes, so it's a good sign. :)
Thanks for the link! Definitely useful info, just read thru it all, their scion just hit 333,333 about a week ago! Failed to mention that I just replaced my front O2 sensor due to a failed smog and also replaced each headlight bulb once and the rear plate bulbs twice. She's making a weird sound these days, my brother says it's like a grinding but I feel like its a flutter sound like there's a hole somewhere that air is escaping (almost sounds like an old VW flutter but quieter) I'm bringing her in for major service next week, hopefully they don't
discover anything horrible! :-/... And 3 oil changes ago the dealership said I had a tranny leak and a mechanic friend checked it out and confirmed a slow leak (not enough to show on my driveway when I park it though) 10,000+ miles and 2 oil changes later, dealership isn't detecting the leak and the
tranny seems perfectly fine. Odd but we'll see what the shop says next week...
Did the who owner with 1,000,000+ miles get a free new Toyota like the Honda guy with 1,000,000+ miles?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the shop said everything looked great but that sound is coming from my tranny and it will probably get louder and need replacing. I've only got 215K on this tranny, i wouldn't think it'd go this quickly. the clutch has outlasted the transmission? that's just strange... i will be getting a second and probably third opinion soon... but i plan to keep her going!

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Welcome to the club !! I would just keep doing what you do as most of us plan on keeping our boxes till they die !! I know that I am as I have 54000 on her and my son has an 05 with about 175000 on here !! If I remember right the guy who has 400,000 on his lived in Wis and had replaced the tranny as he wore his out !!! After all your box as out lived most US cars for the miles you have on her !!

·
love to corner
278 Posts
wow 300k is great!! but who cares if the engin blows our motors are dirt cheap. Ive seen them used on ebay for $500 shipped with only 50k on them.:)

Man finally a car that I can have forever. :)

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 07:30 PM ----------

the reason I got this car was after I sat in a xb cab and saw how roomy it was and he had 275k miles. The car still ran smooth and got great gas milage. I was sold at that point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!
Tranny blew up completely and froze up the drivetrain, it basically imploded. That was march 22nd, 2012. Got the tranny replaced again with a used one with about 80k on it and she's been going strong ever since. I'm at about 322K or so now. No signs of quitting. :)

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
Anything can fail after turning a complete circle at least 867 million times. ;)

Stay on top of maintenance and nothing will be prone to failing. Things that are prone to failing are listed under "XXXXX mile service recommendation" :cool:

·
fixes, builds, designs it
53 Posts
I've seen Hondas with 250,000 in the junkyards. I've heard they will do 300K.

There are almost NO Scions in the junk yard. Unless there is a Scion-specific
junkyard somewhere which I don't yet know about.-Bob

AMG, are you in Florida? Near what?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts