Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A slight click has developed in my 2004 XB. It sounds similar to a worn driveshaft CV joint. Both driveshafts have been replaced within the last 400 miles. Anyway, inspecting the area where the CV joints attach to the trans output flanges, I notice the output shaft and flanges can be moved orbitally, that is up and down quite a lot though not so much that the oil seals leak. Is this type of motion "normal" for the output shaft, or is this motion likely the source of the click noise? The new CV's feel fine, and I have no experience inside the gearbox/diff to know. Any feedback would be appreciated before I tear into the gearbox. Does anyone know of a cutaway drawing of the gearbox that m ight show what happening in there?
Thanks,

· Registered
152 Posts
"orbitally"? ....never heard it described that way. But to answer your question:

No, that motion is not normal. This situation occurs when the transmission bearings are worn/damaged.

The particular bearings I'm referring to are known as the transmissions "output shaft" bearings.

Sadly, to replace these bearings....the transmission has to be removed from the vehicle and be completely disassembled.

Another sad thing is that most transmission shops won't repair the transmission. They'd rather earn $3,000 selling/installing a rebuilt unit rather than earning much less $$$ performing the repair to an (otherwise good) transmission.

The engine, transmission, frame, steering, suspension & brake components can be removed from these vehicles in an hour (as a single unit). Takes 2 hours to rebuild/test the transmission and another 2 hours to put the car back together. So, 5 hours labor @ $150 per labor hour = $750. .....good for you, not good for the transmission shop.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"orbitally"? ....never heard it described that way. But to answer your question:

No, that motion is not normal. This situation occurs when the transmission bearings are worn/damaged.

The particular bearings I'm referring to are known as the transmissions "output shaft" bearings.

Sadly, to replace these bearings....the transmission has to be removed from the vehicle and be completely disassembled.

Another sad thing is that most transmission shops won't repair the transmission. They'd rather earn $3,000 selling/installing a rebuilt unit rather than earning much less $$$ performing the repair to an (otherwise good) transmission.

The engine, transmission, frame, steering, suspension & brake components can be removed from these vehicles in an hour (as a single unit). Takes 2 hours to rebuild/test the transmission and another 2 hours to put the car back together. So, 5 hours labor @ $150 per labor hour = $750. .....good for you, not good for the transmission shop.
Are internal components available for this gearbox, and are there any drawings or manuals that would show or guide one thru an overhaul .

· Registered
152 Posts
ToyotaPartsDeal.com has what you need.

Last couple times I ordered rebuild kits, I had to make two separate selections. One selection was for the bearings the other selection was for the gasket kit.

If/When you order, be sure to order parts based on the date your vehicle was manufactured.

Also, you never stated if your transmission is manual 5 speed or automatic.

I'm assuming the noise is coming from the driver's side.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ToyotaPartsDeal.com has what you need.

Last couple times I ordered rebuild kits, I had to make two separate selections. One selection was for the bearings the other selection was for the gasket kit.

If/When you order, be sure to order parts based on the date your vehicle was manufactured.

Also, you never stated if your transmission is manual 5 speed or automatic.

I'm assuming the noise is coming from the driver's side.
Thanks for the quick response. It is a manual 5 speed, noise is heard inside, while driving, as a clicking that is tire rotation associated. Thinking it might be one of the newly installed CV joints, I disconnected the passenger wheel/hub assembly to free the shaft and noted the wobble of the output shaft, and that alerted me to possible internal damage.
Trans oil is clear and clean and this has just developed, so I think I caught it very early. Anyway, its going to come out and apart, and I'll know more. Thanks again for your input.

· Registered
2005 Scion xB
2 Posts
Are internal components available for this gearbox, and are there any drawings or manuals that would show or guide one thru an overhaul .
I was looking at this a while back. My conclusion (and I would welcome a correction by someone with more experience here) is that the bearing/seals kits are readily available because they are shared with some more common Toyota models. If you need synchros as well (me, if I'm going to the trouble of opening up a transmission I'm going to replace any synchro that looks even slightly questionable while I'm in there) these may have to be bought a la carte because only a few vendors still carry the complete kit.

I would not try this without a copy of the official shop manual in front of me.

· Registered
152 Posts
That sounds like it is way easier than the procedure outlined in the shop manual.... Is this procedure described somewhere?
It's described in the AllData procedure......and this AllData procedure assumes you have all professional tools at your disposal. Not just hand tools, but also the hydraulic machine to lift the car up and away from the engine assembly.

· Registered
05 silver stick
243 Posts
In other words you need a lift.
Some other cars come apart like that
Pretty easily
Disconnect the suspension off the body and lift the whole car off
The engine/suspension/trans
are all Left on the ground.
try to take the engine out of the car
And it will take much longer to do.

· Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. It is a manual 5 speed, noise is heard inside, while driving, as a clicking that is tire rotation associated. Thinking it might be one of the newly installed CV joints, I disconnected the passenger wheel/hub assembly to free the shaft and noted the wobble of the output shaft, and that alerted me to possible internal damage.
Trans oil is clear and clean and this has just developed, so I think I caught it very early. Anyway, its going to come out and apart, and I'll know more. Thanks again for your input.
I have a 2006 manual xb and mine started making a clicking noise in the front driver's side wheel area a couple years ago. Sounded just like a CV joint issue. Turns out it was a bad differential bearing which required pulling the transmission. A local shop rebuilt it for $2300 and it's been fine since then. At the time I couldn't find anyone on the forums who had the same issue but maybe it's becoming more common as these cars age? It has been the only repair my car has needed in 16 years of ownership so I can't really complain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts