Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1NZFE Toyota made or?

8K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  ScottyTuned 
#1 ·
Can anyone out there tell me if the 1NZFE in our XB's are designed/manufactured in house at Toyota. Or are they outsourced? I have a debate of sorts with my father in law over this. My understanding is the design was a effort involving Yamaha and the engine is a BEAM type. I believe that has to do with the head design. Any help? This is my firt post and i'm a new member today. Thanks, Gary

#3 ·
wow i havent looked this up before or anything. but i believe the toyota 1nzfe is actually a toyota endeavor though im not sure. its a pure guess. i have no reason to believe otherwise that it would be something of an offshoot like dodge does (with mitsu motors sometimes) and other companies do. being a small engine though, i wouldnt doubt that a company like Yamaha would step in and help with design.

if i had to guess though, id guess its a toyota design/build.

also, welcome to the site!

scotty

#7 ·
ok.... 1NZFE is toyotas motor. all scions are toyotas motor. the 1nzfe is the same motor used in the toyota echo and the prius hybrid. these are in the xB. the 2AZ-FE ins the scion tC is the camry 4 cyl engine.

there is your answer

#9 ·
the brave little toaster said:
and yes yamaha has part in the 2zz high compression motor in the celica gts, and xrs series. thats the ONLY motor they had part on. and for those that dont know, yamaha motorsports is owned by toyota.
yamaha has touched A LOT more than just the 2zz. their designs have been in many other toyota's too just not all theirs like the 2zz , 2jzgte , 7mge/gte , and 1jzgte.

in canada toyota sells tundra's with yamaha packages.

#10 ·
the brave little toaster said:
ok.... 1NZFE is toyotas motor. all scions are toyotas motor. the 1nzfe is the same motor used in the toyota echo and the prius hybrid. these are in the xB. the 2AZ-FE ins the scion tC is the camry 4 cyl engine.

there is your answer
prius hybrid uses the same block as the scions and echo but...... different pistons , different combustion cycle , different intake , different vvti , different timing , different compression.

the 2azfe is also used in solara's , rav4's and highlanders.

#11 ·
student of toyota technical education network (T-ten)

Bluestreak22 said:
Can anyone out there tell me if the 1NZFE in our XB's are designed/manufactured in house at Toyota. Or are they outsourced? I have a debate of sorts with my father in law over this. My understanding is the design was a effort involving Yamaha and the engine is a BEAM type. I believe that has to do with the head design. Any help? This is my firt post and i'm a new member today. Thanks, Gary
Im a mechanic and I used to work for toyota. Toyota has plenty of engines that have yamaha stamped into tbelt covers, cast into cranks ..... as far as being outsourced Id say negative. the only thing special about the head is the vvt-i (same as v-tec) advances valve and ignition timing as rpm increases. nuthin too special

#13 ·
if you're a mechanic, yea you should know that vtec and vvti systems have a lot of differences to tell ya the truth. the only thing close about them in my opinion is that they control the engine, and they both have a "v" and a "t" in the name. they systems are designed totally different.

scotty

#15 ·
Frogbox said:
the 1NZ-FE is the motor for the echo,xB,xA.
the 1NZ-FEX is the designation for the Prius motor.

Both made in Japan, forget the town/city, but designed by Toyota, built by Toyota
yeah the prius motore is a trip. too bad it's powerless. but it's clean burning as all hell.

#18 ·
dirtyrice said:
And although the Prius engine has 13:1 compression ratio, it only 'sees' 9. It has to do with the combustion cycle...Hotbox, you are right, it is a trip. I just wonder if the only difference is the ECU or if the components are different between the xB and Prius.
different intake , different air box , different pistons if i remember correctly.

#20 · (Edited)
ScionScotty said:
if you're a mechanic, yea you should know that vtec and vvti systems have a lot of differences to tell ya the truth. the only thing close about them in my opinion is that they control the engine, and they both have a "v" and a "t" in the name. they systems are designed totally different.

scotty
The systems both change valve timing, honda does it the complex way, toyota not so complex, the end result is valve timting adjustment while driving. I had no idea my words would undergo such scrutiny.

#21 ·
RAIDERBEAST said:
The systems both change valve timing, honda does it the complex way, toyota not so complex, the end result is valve timting adjustment while driving. I had no idea my words would undergo such scrutiny.
vvti and vtec are a completely different animal.

#23 · (Edited)
RAIDERBEAST said:
I understood what you were saying!

As for the prius, add two more batteries, an ECM flash and you have 150hp with 100mpg. The performance side of hybrids are coming soon. If only I had the 1nz-fex in the box with full power on the electric motor.:D

#24 ·
scvscions said:

As for the prius, add two more batteries, an ECM flash and you have 150hp with 100mph. The performance side of hybrids are coming soon. If only I had the 1nz-fex in the box with full power on the electric motor.:D
it needs more than 2 more , but just a ecu tinkering can produce much more output , stock they go over 100mph. at least the one's i've driven have . they're getting to be quite popular as taxi's in san fran , AWESOME use for them, saves everyone money , and makes toyota lots of money.

#26 ·
scvscions said:

As for the prius, add two more batteries, an ECM flash and you have 150hp with 100mpg. The performance side of hybrids are coming soon. If only I had the 1nz-fex in the box with full power on the electric motor.:D
hotbox05 is an idiot she trashes everyones posts. she just likes arguing, or trying to correct everyone else.at first glance you might think she knows what shes talking about, she dont. 100mpg 100mph maybe she should learn to read before she opens the meat hole again...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.