Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wassup peeps..i'm getting ready to get myself back in a box again and i have a question..... my question is, what is the lowest offset for 17x8 w/ 205-40 tires? coz i found a place here that custom make wheels, billet 3 piece, but they only make then in max 5.25 back spacing (approx. +19 offset), and min of 3.5.. i was thinking of getting +12 offset for the rear, and +19 for the front.. will that work? any rub issues, for the guys out there running low offsets on 17's..
thanks in advance...

oh i'm planning to run on tein s-techs..

here are the wheels i'm thinking of getting.. what do you guys think... left or right?.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Ah you're getting a little too strong with offsets unless you're going crazy VIP or something. For a nice conservative fitment, I would do 17x8 25 offset and 17x8 15 offset. Youll have to roll the fender in the rear if you go lower than S-techs, but itll be good. Im running 17x8 25 offset with 205/40/17 tires (which have a little stretch). Im going to be geting a set of 10 mm OTG shims for rear to make the backs flush. Maybe 5mm spacers inbetween the wheel and hub to make it 10 offset, but i dont know yet.

My back rubs pretty hard because its not all the way rolled, and its slammed low. Heres mine.

Any questions, dont be afraid to ask!
Scotty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
damn!.. that looks great scotty!!.. thats what i want to achieve, minus the really slammed.. i wish i can slam it that low, need to get on our driveway, but would you agree if i stick with s-techs, i would be okay with +19 and +12 offsets, of course with 205/40 correct?.. what if i go with 215-40 size tire, definite rubbing issues???? thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Thanks. Thats not too bad with +12 and +19. . Dont know if I would go that low in offset. I cant vouch that it wont rub. Youll probably have to roll the rear fender with +12 offset for big bumps to keep from rubbing.

*edit* - And definetly do the ones on the right! Balla!

Scotty

·
Registered
612 Posts
Scotty looks so good because he is lower than s-techs.

I don't know how much you care about wheel gap, but s-techs and 205/40/17 will leave a decent size gap. 205/40/17 are slightly shorter than stock - but noticeable ....Just something to think about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stankubrick said:
Scotty looks so good because he is lower than s-techs.

I don't know how much you care about wheel gap, but s-techs and 205/40/17 will leave a decent size gap. 205/40/17 are slightly shorter than stock - but noticeable ....Just something to think about.

is it really that noticeable, damn that sucks, but if i go with 215-40 (slightly taller than stock)...i would definitely rub huh? thanks for the advice

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScionScotty said:
Thanks. Thats not too bad with +12 and +19. . Dont know if I would go that low in offset. I cant vouch that it wont rub. Youll probably have to roll the rear fender with +12 offset for big bumps to keep from rubbing.

*edit* - And definetly do the ones on the right! Balla!

Scotty

yeah, i guess i have to really think about rolling the fenders to fit the offset i want... too bad the company can't make it with a higher offset.. and yeah, i must agree, the right one's.. i just love that that full face look... thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Youll have gap with 205/40/17s, but thats somethin you gotta deal with if you dont wanna rub. 215/40 and 205/45 you might not, but I dont guarantee anything. It IS all about stance. It would ideal to be lower, but if Stech is all you can rock, then work with what ya got.

scotty

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'm at 15 in the rear with a 18x7.5 215/35/18 and with my S-Techs I rubbed with about 300lbs of cargo. I half ass rolled my fenders and have yet to rub with Df210's. You will be a half inch wider and with a 12 off-set you will definatly rub sooner or later, even with a 17's. First time you load up two or three people in the back you will rub.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
This pic is my 15 off-set 18x7.5 on S-Techs.

See where the tire is touching the tape, when I rubbed I transfered paint only to that edge of tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Padanky said:
This pic is my 15 off-set 18x7.5 on S-Techs.

See where the tire is touching the tape, when I rubbed I transfered paint only to that edge of tire.

yup, thats a definite roll on the fenders then, thanks for the photo reference, it really gives me an idea on how close it would be

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ScionScotty said:
Youll be 9mm outside Padankys wheels, or .35 inches closer to fender.

9mm or .35 inch, doesn't sound much but it makes all the difference in if you're going to rub fenders or not...

thanks everyone for the replies and advice, like i said, a definite roll on the fenders since i'm set in going this route for my wheels..

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Hmm, if you're running a 8 inch wide wheel, in 17 inch, I would go w/ either 205/45-17s or 215/40-17s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stankubrick said:
Great, post up pics when you get them! Is your car in the States or London?

definitely post some pics when i get them,...but the box was sold before i moved here, but i'm moving back and getting my happy @$$ in another box :D .... still dunno what color though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts