Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating wether to get the 16x7 or 17x7 Enkei RPF-1 rims. Pros and Cons?
The 16x7's weigh 13.7 pounds and the 17x7's weigh 14.6 pounds.Pros and Cons?

If I get the 16x7's should I get 215/50 tires or 205/50's ? Pros and Cons?

If I get the 17x7's should I get 215/40, 215/45, or 205/45's ? Pros and Cons?

I want it to corner well, but I dont want to feel every bump in the road, I also dont want to go slower on take offs or going up hills. I have auto trans, TRD springs, struts/shocks, TRD rear sway, Hotckis strut bar, One Ton Garage spacers.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
If I was running 16s, it'd be 16x8 up front, and 16x9 in back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Honestly, with the minimal HP these cars have, a few pounds difference isn't going to mean much at the end of the day per wheel.

Also, consider this - 16s are typically more expensive as the 17s are more common. If you go with 17s, I'd suggest 215/45. They work great on my car and the difference from stock is so minute that it is almost non-existant.

Anyone who chimes in and states they can feel the difference from a 16 to a 17 is basically one who reads too much or has had a dyno pull and the minimal HP loss has weighed on them mentally to the point they state they can feel a difference. In fact, they certainly are less likely to feel a 5 hp loss or there abouts...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd get the 16's only because you can have more tire on them like some 225/45-16 or some 205/50-16 tires. I've bent too many 17" wheels on my Sentra with 215/45-17 tires.

Quick examples:

17" x 7" Enkei RP-01
17" x 7" 5Zigen FN01R-C
17" x 7.5" Advan RG (I ALMOST CRIED!! Each wheel is about $400 or so!)
17" x 7.5" Rota Subzero

& a few others.

All the bendings have occured from hitting potholes, railroad crossings, construction zones, road debris, etc. After that, I said, "F*ck it. I'm going down to 16" & cheap wheels. If I bust one, I just pay $100 or so & get another one." Hahahaha!

That's why I run some nice looking, but cheap ass 15" x 6.5" Rota Grids & some 205/55-15 tires on the box. That has plenty of cushion for most potholes, but still low enough & wide enough to handle decently well. At about $80 a piece, I don't care if I bust one or 2 of those wheels. Heh!

But yeah! I say 16" Enkei RPF-1! ( ^o^)/

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
actually, 215/40-17 is closest to OEM rolling diameter. 215/45-17 is a bit taller.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how would a 225/45 handle different than a 205/50 on a 16x7 rim? The 225/45 is closer to the OEM than the 205/50.

·
Registered
283 Posts
^ A 225/45-16 tire sits nicely on a 7" width wheel, although it's designed to be mounted on a 7.5" width wheel. You can run that size on a 7" to 8.5" width wheel.

As far as handling goes, a 225 tire has more grip, but at the cost of adding more weight. You give up one thing for another.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
But if you're going for the VIP/stretched look, you'll want the 205s.

I have 225s stretched on a 18x9.5. Hee, hee, hee.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anime Gee said:
I'd get the 16's only because you can have more tire on them like some 225/45-16 or some 205/50-16 tires. I've bent too many 17" wheels on my Sentra with 215/45-17 tires.

Quick examples:

17" x 7" Enkei RP-01
17" x 7" 5Zigen FN01R-C
17" x 7.5" Advan RG (I ALMOST CRIED!! Each wheel is about $400 or so!)
17" x 7.5" Rota Subzero

& a few others.

All the bendings have occured from hitting potholes, railroad crossings, construction zones, road debris, etc. After that, I said, "F*ck it. I'm going down to 16" & cheap wheels. If I bust one, I just pay $100 or so & get another one." Hahahaha!

That's why I run some nice looking, but cheap ass 15" x 6.5" Rota Grids & some 205/55-15 tires on the box. That has plenty of cushion for most potholes, but still low enough & wide enough to handle decently well. At about $80 a piece, I don't care if I bust one or 2 of those wheels. Heh!

But yeah! I say 16" Enkei RPF-1! ( ^o^)/

you wont bend the rims as long as you drive like you actually want to take care of the car. ive had cars for years and ive never had a wheel problem of that sort. everything is all just how you drive it, and your attitude on driving.
if you take care of your car, it will take care of you.

just for kicks...it was hard not to play the gender card;) lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Anime Gee I have been running low profile tires for years and I am now at a point where I want some rubber on my car. I have never bent a rim, but my Passat had 19's on it and speed bumps and potholes it is so eas to scratch the rim.
So if it is a daily driver I would go for the rubber.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I read an article where they drove a stock 2.0L VW Jetta around a track on 15, 16, and 17 inch wheels and they posted the best times on the 16 inch wheels.

Weight is a factor in this, but a few pounds will never be noticable.

Another factor to consider is braking. The larger your wheels get the farther that wheel and tire weight gets placed away from the center of the axle. The further away that weight is from the center the more effort it takes to stop them from spinning when you hit the brakes.

If you are looking for better overal drivability I would go with 16's hands down. 17" wheels will do fine and like someone said above 17" tires can be had for less money than 16" tires in most cases.

Now on the subject of tire sizes. If you go with 17" wheels I highly recommend going no larger than 205/45's. I bought a set of wheels with tires on them and the tires are 215/45's. The 215/45's are too big for our car. When I roll over uneven pavement the tires are large enough that actually have to fight with the steering wheel at times to go in a straight line.

·
Registered
974 Posts
squirrel said:
But if you're going for the VIP/stretched look, you'll want the 205s.

I have 225s stretched on a 18x9.5. Hee, hee, hee.
Thats nothing. On my VW I stretched 205's on 8.5" wide wheels up front and 235's on 10" wide wheels in the rear :-D

·
Registered
869 Posts
overall....screw the track crap i think you will be way more happy with the 17's they will simply look way better small rims look gay.....if you are going to bother buying rims go with bigger rims....the bigger the better

·
Registered
974 Posts
polarproject said:
overall....screw the track crap i think you will be way more happy with the 17's they will simply look way better small rims look gay.....if you are going to bother buying rims go with bigger rims....the bigger the better
You make an ok point, but if you read all his rules which his wheels and tires must follow the best choise for him is 16" wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts