Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, Just got my xB about two weeks about... born on date is 5-1-06! It's a fresh start for me so I'm going to try to do it right. I'm going to dynamat the crap out of the rear hatch, all doors, and a little on the floor from the hatch to behind the front seats. I've got a new wire kit, Rockford Fosgate 4 AWG kit. Oh, and this is just a noob question, but is a new head unit needed to put in a new quality system or can I get good results from the factory?

I really just need info on whats good now a days for subs. I really don't know a whole lot about car audio (my system before this was installed by my uncle). The last pair I owned were Pioneer IMPP 12's that I blew with a JBL mono amp.

I originally wanted to fit 2 10's and 1 15 but I don't have the know how or materials to create a box myself from MDF or fiber. No one's going to make it for me! Now I'm thinking 2 15's with an amp and a cap. Would this be too much?

Anyway, I've rambled too much. The question at hand is, what is a good sub/amp product combination what would fit in the back of the xB with little-no modifications? Any info would be good. Sorry the topic is so broad. I've read about 3 hours worth of threads to try to understand and I still can't make up my mind!

Yeah... that would be great... mmkay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ;o)

I've been reading posts on here for about two weeks now and I love this site. Everyone seems to be very helpful and friendly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
x2theB said:
I've been reading posts on here for about two weeks now and I love this site. Everyone seems to be very helpful and friendly.
I can try helping you out, 1st off whats your budget?(Thats the most important part of the equation). 2nd Are you going for mega bass or just a little bump? If you can provide that info I can maybe give you some suggestions :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't exactly figured out my budget for sound. I'm looking to spend around $400 or less for subs, around $200 for an amp, around $100 for a cap, and I have no idea about an enclosure. I already have a 4 gauge wire kit. I really want to get something that pounds. Like I said before, I had a T-bird with 2 12's and I couldn't feel a thing. Now I've got a smaller car and I want to put something in that's even bigger.

I appreciate your help and any help will do!

Thanks a ton, seriously:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
x2theB said:
I haven't exactly figured out my budget for sound. I'm looking to spend around $400 or less for subs, around $200 for an amp, around $100 for a cap, and I have no idea about an enclosure. I already have a 4 gauge wire kit. I really want to get something that pounds. Like I said before, I had a T-bird with 2 12's and I couldn't feel a thing. Now I've got a smaller car and I want to put something in that's even bigger.

I appreciate your help and any help will do!

Thanks a ton, seriously:D
OK well 1st off you dont need a cap. Caps are the most blantant waste of money ever. If you're going to run 2 15s that dont suck much power than you wont need it. Instead spend the money and do a big 3 upgrade which in the long run will be better imo. http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801;p=
^^ Big 3 upgrade guide. In the scion you dont really need 2 15s. Before my current system I ran two type r 12s and those things were LOUD. I'm not even joking they were very loud and I was using a prefab box. 2 12 type rs are like 135-140 each. An amp to push those is about 300-350. You can do 2 15s but depending on which 15s you go with you may end up walling off the hatch area. I have 1 15 and the box takes up the ENTIRE hatch area. The box is the tricky part the 2 12s will fit easily in the hatch area its just a matter of finding someone that will build you a quality box and wont charge out the wazoo for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand the point of the Big 3 thing. Upgrading the Grounding makes sense... but nothing else does. I don't see how this is going to help out the audio. The cap actually separates and stores the charges to be used when a large current is needed. What does the Big 3 do? Does anyone on clubxb have a write-up of them performing this on their car? If I could see how someone did this on an xB I could mimick it perfectly.

As for the subs, I really just want something that hits like crazy. I'm not trying to break any records or anything, but I want people in my neighborhood to know when I'm coming home from work. I'm kind of hard pressed about packing in two 15s. I'm going down to Pro Audio tomorrow to see what they say about a custom enclosure or whatever it is they can do for me.

I almost forgot! An electronics store down the street is selling Rockford Amps at like 1/2 off because they just got in the new models. I'm thinking about looking into that because it's a pretty good deal and Rockford is a good brand to have. *nice chrome*

Last but not least, am I able to wire my system and run it sufficiently (sp?) with the stock Scion headunit or do I need to purchase a new one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
x2theB said:
I don't understand the point of the Big 3 thing. Upgrading the Grounding makes sense... but nothing else does. I don't see how this is going to help out the audio. The cap actually separates and stores the charges to be used when a large current is needed. What does the Big 3 do? Does anyone on clubxb have a write-up of them performing this on their car? If I could see how someone did this on an xB I could mimick it perfectly.

As for the subs, I really just want something that hits like crazy. I'm not trying to break any records or anything, but I want people in my neighborhood to know when I'm coming home from work. I'm kind of hard pressed about packing in two 15s. I'm going down to Pro Audio tomorrow to see what they say about a custom enclosure or whatever it is they can do for me.

I almost forgot! An electronics store down the street is selling Rockford Amps at like 1/2 off because they just got in the new models. I'm thinking about looking into that because it's a pretty good deal and Rockford is a good brand to have. *nice chrome*

Last but not least, am I able to wire my system and run it sufficiently (sp?) with the stock Scion headunit or do I need to purchase a new one?

I have the big 3 done in my car and basically since your adding bigger gauge wires in all 3 spots its less strain on your electrical system. If you want to do 2 15s for sure you can get 2 Kicker L7s in the xB more than likely, and those bad boys hit. Theres a guy here in Houston with 2 kicker L7s in his Jeep that was metering at something like 144 dBs(which is loud as hell). Also id get a new battery instead of a cap, I run a sealed battery in my car because of the drain strain I put on my electrical system and 1 battery i have is the power of 1000 1 farad caps. Most car audio enthusiasts will tell you do a big 3 upgrade and get a new battery it will be much better in the long run. For the battery if you go that route I recommend Kinetik Audio. www.kinetikaudio.com
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=200

Trust me on the big 3 it helps a lot.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
x2theB said:
<==== still worried about a headunit
O yah forgot that part lol. You can get away with using the stock head unit. You're gonna need a line out converter to be able to hook up subs though. Most people ditch the stock HU because there isnt enough features. Like you cant independently control the subwoofer using the stock radio for example, and if you dont plan on amping your door speakers it will make a difference also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Audio only. I'm not running any tv's or anything fancy like that so I'll only need a headunit thats good for bass. That's not a bad price. Something around $150 give or take $30 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, and I'm not worried about iPod. I only run cd's and radio...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
x2theB said:
Audio only. I'm not running any tv's or anything fancy like that so I'll only need a headunit thats good for bass. That's not a bad price. Something around $150 give or take $30 or so.
If you going to go with kenwood,jvc,or alpine they're models all pretty much do the same thing in the price range you're aiming for. Only real difference is in how they look. Some people like the look of Alpine or Jvc while other prefer Kenwood so its just a matter of personal preference. Like here is a nice kenwood unit. http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=KDCMP4028
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
x2theB said:
Oh, and I'm not worried about iPod. I only run cd's and radio...
Hey bro
Im gona be selling my JVC headunit, has a direct AUX port so the ipod or any AUX device becomes a plug and play, I also have some audio for sale...i have two diffrent setups going..Im gona be selling my custom enclosure as well
heres a pic of my Headunit

and my enclosure


My firends got memphis and crossfire stuff for sale that looks to be in your budget...PM me if your intrested in this stuff....
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top