Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some ideas for some exhaust work. I wanted to chop that muffler off and just strait pipe it...not sure it would sound tho. Wat r ur thoughts?... Ideas?

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,001 Posts
Just removing the muffler might cause the exhaust to sound like an asthmatic backcountry Canadian Branta barnacle goose.

The xB's system is balanced by Toyota using the appropriate pipe diameter and length to achieve the optimum exhaust velocity and scavenging. The removal of the muffler's restriction could raise horsepower, but potentially could lower horsepower. An aftermarket header and dynamometer testing can address the necessary redesign.

Sound level and tone is another issue to be addressed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I need it to be loud. Never had a quiet vehicle lol. Would a cherry bomb muffler sound allright u think lmaoo!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,001 Posts
First read R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1). Subsections 2a and 2b are pertinent also.

I would be surprised if many, or any, people have used a cherry bomb muffler on a street vehicle since Diefenbaker was in office. They would be violating a federal law.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ughhh...watever...it's cheap and easy to do...and honestly I think they sound allright lol. I was gonna just chop off the muffler and straight pipe it...but someone else said that it would sound like ****....🙄

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will.
How loud do you need it to get? I like to hear my cars run, but I also like to hear myself think. You could go with an aftermarket muffler, or even what they call a "Fart tube", those stainless looking mufflers at the end of the pipe so many honda civics used to have installed. Also depending on where you are, you may flunk inspection if its too loud, or the muffler is missing. Having driven one with a bad muffler for a few weeks, its just annoying. Remember you have a big empty metal box behind you to amplify that sound. The header gains you a bit more power and noise without being obnoxious.

My $0.02

GB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over for the obnoxious sound haha. My other 2 cars were straight piped no muffler ...but they'd sounded great. I will look into buying an aftermarket muffler fur sure. The "fart tube" is that like a cherry bomb muffler kinda? Cuz I searched some vids of those on the xB and they sound great! I would wanna hear it start..run and still wanna hear it while I drive lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are the shiny silver after market mufflers frequently seen on and heard on hondas and others that sound like a herd of hornets. On a 6cyl, they tend to sound like a serial passing of intestinal gas. I don't think they are glas-paks which Cherry bombs are. I seem to remember NAPA sold something called a "royal scot" which was a cheap baffled muffler. On a V-8 back in the day, they were still pretty loud, but had a decent tone to them, plus they were (barely) legal where i lived.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,553 Posts
You can do a delete on the muffler and it'll make the car a little bit louder but not much. Most of the noise reduction is actually done in the resonator which, coupled with the catalytic converter, is known as the 'scuba' under the car. Removing the scuba will make the car loud and drone so it requires a muffler to tone it down. A short ram intake actually helps in the 'nice' noise department. Cold air intake helps but because of the pipe length tones it down a bit. Adding headers really gives a nice sound. Depending on your local emission laws it may cause problems as it usually removes the first cat. I have to put my stock manifold back on for testing every two years since I'm in CA. I've got Weapon-R headers, a short ram intake and Tanabe axle back and really like the sound. Not too loud, but a good tone and livable for daily driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts