Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you need, 2nd gen 3rd brake light, a dremel, and a hot glue gun or superglue. I got my donor brake light from LKQ for $6 + $2 entry fee, so $8 total. All you need is the brake light with the connector (it plugs right into the 1st gen connector) don't bother with the housing. You'll need to disassemble the 2nd gen brake light, mark the led bar for the neg and pos wires connecting from the circuit board. Unplug and remove the circuit board, this is where it gets a bit tricky, you'll need to use a dremel and grind the little plastic tabs holding the led bar to the plastic. Once the led bar is free you'll need to cut off the metal flanges so that is just a flat bar with the leds, also you'll have to cut off each outermost led from the bar. Now you'll need to disassemble your 1st gen 3rd brake light, carefully remove the red cover (you'll need to reuse it) with a small screwdriver, remove the connector with the bulb and throw it away. Now you can take the circuit board from the 2nd gen brake light (I wrapped mine with electrical tape just to be safe) and feed the connector through the hole where the bulb was, take the led bar and slightly bend the connectors in towards the center and connect the circuit board to the led bar. I recommend wrapping each end of the led bar with electrical tape (you may want to test fitment at this point) and glue it to the 1st gen brake light housing, let it dry, and put your 1st gen brake light back together, plug it in and put it all back together. Now you should have an led 3rd brake light. It took me about 30 minutes to do this project. Good luck and enjoy. 1st Gens RULE!

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Very nice! I have been thinking lately about trying to mount a second gen led brake light to my gen1 but this looks like the way to go. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying to figure something that would work for months, and just stumbled across this idea. I like the fact that it wasn't hard, looks factory, and most importantly..... cheap.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I need to get the junk yard, hopefully they have some xb's.

·
Mad Sciontist
173 Posts
Nice! I did mine with eBay bits. I bought a bulb adapter that plugged into the original 1st gen socket, added a progressive flasher module and then 4 LED strips. Wired it all up and glued stuff into the original housing. Here is a pic of the stuff before I added the other 3 LED strips to show the wiring. I think I have like $12 invested in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice! I did mine with eBay bits. I bought a bulb adapter that plugged into the original 1st gen socket, added a progressive flasher module and then 4 LED strips. Wired it all up and glued stuff into the original housing. Here is a pic of the stuff before I added the other 3 LED strips to show the wiring. I think I have like $12 invested in it.

I had to look up what a progressive flasher module is and I definitely need one.

Do you have any pics of light in action? I bet it is super bright with 4 strips in there.

Reactions: BadCattitude

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is great. I was looking for an alternative solution to the Oznium 3rd brake light since it has been recently discontinued. Plus this fits the bill perfectly. The Oznium light was over $100 when it was available.

I like the fact it is a factory look that is clean. Is any 3rd brake light from a 2008+ xB compatible? I didn't know all second gen xBs had LED 3rd brake lights from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what year the 2nd gen donor was, but if I had to guess, I would say that any 2nd gen xB 3rd brake light should work. Oznium only makes one style for the 2nd gen, so I don't imagine that Toyota had a design change for all those years either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have a link to the LED light you purchased on eBay? This is what I am looking for.
sorry took me awhile, I found the seller where I got it but this is the only on they have
18 Red LED 3rd Brake Lamp Left Right Turn Signal Taillight Car Truck Universal | eBay

---------- Post added 03-29-2016 at 12:16 PM ----------

sorry took me awhile, I found the seller where I got it but this is the only on they have
18 Red LED 3rd Brake Lamp Left Right Turn Signal Taillight Car Truck Universal | eBay
they have the picture installed on a 2nd gen xb, hope this help

---------- Post added 03-29-2016 at 12:21 PM ----------

crap, the light on the xb is different from what they are selling, it has a 30 led, unless you want it longer and connect it together

·
Registered
51 Posts

---------- Post added 03-29-2016 at 12:21 PM ----------

crap, the light on the xb is different from what they are selling, it has a 30 led, unless you want it longer and connect it together
Maz, thanks for the info. I think I can work with this. Wish it was double row LEDs like yours.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
What was involved in the install of that LED bar from eBay? I'm interested in this, but my wiring abilities don't extend much further than say wiring a radio adapter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I cut the wire for the R/L turn sign, make sure you test which wire +/- for the full brake light, and cut the end wire to fit to the 3rd brake light female connector, secure it with tape.

be careful when tightening the bracket and the led bar, don't overtighten as you may damage the plastic screw.

---------- Post added 05-20-2016 at 01:54 AM ----------

BTW ,this is the closes one compare to the one that I got

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did the 2nd gen in 1st gen housing thing. Trimmed just enough of the top and bottom metal flanges on the light bar so it is wedged into housing when lense is snapped back into place. Did use a small tab of 3M double sided tape on each end where it sits flat on the bezel. Wrapped the circuit board in electric tape and attached it to bezel behind the light bar with double sided tape. Also filled the bulb holder hole where connector comes out of bezel with piece of foam to keep dust out. Saved the oem bulb and socket so this is reversible if need be or want original setup for some reason.

20200828_191326.jpg

1D21BA09-F86F-4C06-AFA9-33C4BDE8F548.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts