Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've actually been meaning to join for a while now. Your threads have always been very helpful. I bought my 2005 Scion xB in Jan of 2009 with 52K on it, and it's going strong at 167k now. This past year I've had a few problems come up that were dealt with accordingly without much issue (e.g. new cat converter, new charcoal canister), thankfully not much more than that when it comes to performance. I'll admit that when I first saw the commercials for the new xB in 2004, I thought they were the ugliest cars ever. But when it came time to replacing my Suzuki Sidekick, it really blew me away how roomy the interior was while being compact and fuel efficient. Living between Baltimore and DC, I can't begin to tell you how many parallel parking spots I've snagged that most sedans can only dream of fitting in. I will be super sad the day that my box calls it quits.

My wife (then girlfriend) thought the same thing when she first heard of this car, but after riding in mine, it convinced her to get her own 2005 xB in Jun 2010. So we're the Scion twins! She's also now at 167K, had very few issues over the years that were also mostly isolated incidents (e.g. new water pump, also the charcoal canister). Unfortunately, right now she's faced with a bad AC compressor where the clutch and other assembly just came apart and broke her alternator belt. According to the folks at ToyotaPartsOverstock.com, the specific one for her car based on her VIN (toyota part# 883105257084) is unavailable in the entire USA, and new ones are crazy expensive even if found. We're hoping we can find a used one somewhere, but who knows. If anyone has any other suggestions about how to get my hands on one, the production date of her car is Feb 2005. My mechanic warned me how they changed the AC compressor parts for this car starting in Jan 2005, so I guess that matters. I see a bunch for sale on ebay, but the after-market ones tend to not get specific enough to address the AC compressor change to ensure I get the right one (and not the 04 model AC compressor). *Sigh*

Anyways, thanks for hearing me out, and glad to finally be an active part of this community, instead of a stalker, lol. Happy trekking!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome! Glad you decided to join.

I know the A/C systems are different for early model years of the xB. I have a 2006 and I remember reading some sort of technical feature update about the A/C system being slightly bigger I believe on the 2006 model years.

Being that Denso is one of the primary OEM parts suppliers for Toyota, it looks like a Denso option is available on Rock Auto.com. This will probably be your best bet. You can even cross reference the part number provided to you on Denso's website to ensure you get the correct Denso part number. Just make sure you drop the 84 suffix at the end of the Toyota part. That indicates a Toyota re-manufactured part.

I looked it up and the Denso part number appears to be 471-1496 for a 2005 xB.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, dubeexb06! My mechanic had suggested that, which a whole learning experience for me. I knew nothing about junkyards and the DIY pick-your-part types vs the full service ones, they way they operated, the core charges usually tacked on, etc. But that's what ended up working. In the end, what would have been a $1200 - $1500 job became a roughly $350 one. The dealer never would have let us put a used AC compressor on the car, and new OEM ones are just nowhere to be found. We also got really lucky in getting this particular one off an xB with much lower mileage and a pretty solid warranty. So as stressful as this situation was, learning about junkyards and networks of salvage auto parts was a pretty useful outcome.

06xbox, many thanks for all that info regarding the Denso AC compressor. I had purchased spark plugs from the dealer once and noticed they were the Denso brand, so I don't doubt for a second what you say about them being a primary OEM parts supplier. My mechanic said that buying a brand new AC compressor was actually a bigger pain the rear because warranty requirements would force you to buy a bunch of additional components that are not included, for the sake of compliance with the warranty. That's why he suggested, from an economical standpoint, we go with a used one. That way, warranty wouldn't even be an issue. This is all news to me, so I took his word for it and we got lucky with a $160 AC compressor taken from a running vehicle with only 62K on it with a 6 month warranty included. Today I got the word that everything worked out fine, system was adequately flushed and all components are working great. So hopefully it all stays that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts