Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps! I need some help! My 09 Box isn't starting. When I turn the key to ignition it sounds like a turbine/vacuum whirring up (not the typical cranking sound) I replaced the battery (as I wanted a better battery anyway) but the issue is the same.
I've never heard a sound like this before and my next plan was to replace the starter but before I proceed with that I wanted to get some guidance as to what to look for or do next before I just go on a road of replacing parts.

Any help or assistance you can provide is most appreciated 馃檹. I've included a video link of the issue.

Thank you!

New video by Chris Bellevue

Registered
If the starter is not engaging, it will indeed have a high pitched whining sound. Could be 2 different issues. Either the bendix is stuck. Part that engages flywheel. Or missing teeth on flywheel. To rule out missing teeth, if manual transmission place in 5th gear and push vehicle so engine turns some. If automatic, place a socket on the crank bolt and turn engine a little bit. If it still does the same thing then I would say a starter failure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply wagonbldr! Other peeps have told me the same. I'm gonna get that starter asap! If you got the cashapp. I'll gift you a beer馃嵒

1 - 5 of 5 Posts