Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first xB with 123k Miles and I absolutely love it! Except for the weird engine noise I can’t pinpoint. It’s on the passenger side and I can hear it inside the car and if I lift the hood. I had a mechanic diagnose it and said it was the idler pulley so I replaced the tensioner and pulley with a Toyota part and that didn’t quiet it down. When it was apart, I checked the water pump, compressor and other pulleys and they were all quiet! It’s driving me nuts! It makes noise when it idles and if I rev the engine, it doesn’t change but if I put it in drive and accelerate, it goes away temporarily until it’s not accelerating anymore and smooths out and the noise returns. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have read about this strange noise on other sites buhave never found an answer. The car runs flawlessly except for this noise! HELP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so but I had the belt off and the pump was as quiet. Also, the noise goes away when I accelerate. The water pump wouldn’t quiet down just because I accelerate. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Exactly what kind of noise is it? Squeeking, rattling, grinding

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Can you post a sound clip or video clip with the noise

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,556 Posts
Ok, you said you replaced the tensioner and pulley. Were these both on the same bracket? I ask because the xB has a second idler pulley on the back bottom of the engine where the power steering pump would be if we didn't have electric power steering. This one is right in front of the firewall so if it was causing the noise you would be able to hear it from inside the cabin on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my first xB with 123k Miles and I absolutely love it! Except for the weird engine noise I can’t pinpoint. It’s on the passenger side and I can hear it inside the car and if I lift the hood. I had a mechanic diagnose it and said it was the idler pulley so I replaced the tensioner and pulley with a Toyota part and that didn’t quiet it down. When it was apart, I checked the water pump, compressor and other pulleys and they were all quiet! It’s driving me nuts! It makes noise when it idles and if I rev the engine, it doesn’t change but if I put it in drive and accelerate, it goes away temporarily until it’s not accelerating anymore and smooths out and the noise returns. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have read about this strange noise on other sites buhave never found an answer. The car runs flawlessly except for this noise! HELP!
I'm dealing with the same thing, and I don't hear it when I start it up at first, but after I start driving I do, someone suggested it could be a motor mount, I have an 08 xb, hopefully I can get this damn thing figured out !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts