Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2006 Zapatito (Xb)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently about 5 tanks ago my 06 Xb has been having trouble starting specifically after I have put gas in. It almost feels like the filter in the fuel pump is bad? I’ll have to crank it like 10 times in a few minute intervals then eventually it starts but I have to give it gas and hold the ignition until it starts , I was thinking possibly the crank sensor as well?

· Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
362 Posts
I also have an 06 with about 175K miles, and am pretty sure the fuel pump is going out. I'm probably just going to replace it whether or not it's the cause, as Toyota recommends replacing them at 150K miles anyway, IIRC...

· Lots o leather and copper
1,721 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the evap system since it only happens after filling the tank. I know there was a design issue with the 1st gen filler neck that caused problem but I believe it was fixed before the 06 model year. Try only filling to 3/4 of a tank and see if it happens. If not then it might be over filling and backing up in the filler neck.

· Registered
1 Posts
Recently about 5 tanks ago my 06 Xb has been having trouble starting specifically after I have put gas in. It almost feels like the filter in the fuel pump is bad? I’ll have to crank it like 10 times in a few minute intervals then eventually it starts but I have to give it gas and hold the ignition until it starts , I was thinking possibly the crank sens
Sounds like an issue with the evap system since it only happens after filling the tank. I know there was a design issue with the 1st gen filler neck that caused problem but I believe it was fixed before the 06 model year. Try only filling to 3/4 of a tank and see if it happens. If not then it might be over filling and backing up in the filler neck.
my 08 scion xb is giving me the same problem, i have been driving with evap system codes but now starting after fillups has been difficult, thanks for info

· Registered
1 Posts
my 08 scion xb is giving me the same problem, i have been driving with evap system codes but now starting after fillups has been difficult, thanks for info

· Registered
2 Posts
Recently about 5 tanks ago my 06 Xb has been having trouble starting specifically after I have put gas in. It almost feels like the filter in the fuel pump is bad? I’ll have to crank it like 10 times in a few minute intervals then eventually it starts but I have to give it gas and hold the ignition until it starts , I was thinking possibly the crank sensor as well?
I had the same problem. It was the charcoal canister

· Registered
143 Posts
I had the same problem. It was the charcoal canister
Yes....this is it.

The way the EVAP system works is:

You put gas in the tank. As gas is filling up the tank, the air in the tank gets pushed thru the charcoal canister. The canister is a filter. This filter removes fuel vapors from the air. The vapors are collected in the canister. The filtered air then enters the "fuel tank vent tube", from here, this filtered air travels out of the vehicle, thru the pump hose, and down into the gas station storage tanks under ground.

There are times when the charcoal canister has collected so much gas vapors that the vapors turn back into liquid. When this happens, the liquid gas in the canister gets sent back into your gas tank to continue the cycle.

If the charcoal canister ever gets too much gas in it, the gas gets pushed into the EVAP system and into the engine causing a temporary "flooded" situation......and when it's really bad, it's very difficult to put gas in the tank because gas from the charcoal canister gets sent through the fuel tank vent tube into the gas station pump nozzle which causes the pump nozzle to click off repeatedly.

When this situation occurs and you replace the charcoal canister....... You'll also find that your gas mileage per tank has increased dramatically. So for instance if you were only getting 200 miles per tank, you'll now be back up to 300+ miles per tank.

· Registered
143 Posts
I have to give it gas and hold the ignition until it starts
If you're NOT pushing the gas pedal all the way down while cranking the engine, you're making the hard starting problem worse. Rather than pushing the gas pedal part of the way, try this:

Push the gas pedal ALL THE WAY to the floor and hold it there BEFORE you turn the ignition key. Keep holding it there and release it the instant the engine starts.

Doing this causes the PCM to cut power to the injectors temporarily to clear out excess gas from the combustion chambers as the engine is spinning before starting. This won't cure the canister problem, but the engine will start easier after a fill-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts