Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Recently I've been mulling over the idea of hopping in my XB and driving all over the USA. I want to see as much of the country as I possibly can, maybe even all of the lower 48?

About Me: Almost 21 and don't want to get any older. I work part time for a parks and rec department while going to college in socal and have been saving up my money for the past two years. I'll be transferring school's starting in the fall of 2016 so I will have an almost 6 month break which would be perfect for this trip.

The Plan: Basically wander around the states looking for interesting things. I hope to see some of the American classics like Mount Rushmore and the St. Louis Arch while also venturing into some of the daunting big cities like New York or Chicago. To keep costs low I plan to camp in the car for most nights while springing for a cheap motel only when the car becomes to cramped or I start to lose my mind.

The Car: 2004 Scion XB. Forrest Green. Really great car and one I really grew up in. It's the car I took my drivers test in. Right now she's pushing 200k due to frequent trips up and down California and one trip all the way to Louisiana and back. We have always taken care of it but my fear is I will be driving alone in the desert and she will finally kick the bucket.

The Budget: Budget is a major concern but with my lodging expenses drastically slashed by sleeping in the car, I figure I could afford the trip for at least a month anyways.

Basically what i'm asking is if the XB would be a good car to convert into a mini R.V. for a few months or if I should look into taking a different vehicle. The XB is so attractive because it still gets great gas mileage and I can sleep inside.

Any tips or sense you could knock into me would be greatly appreciated.
--Tony

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
I for one have been to about a dozen states, no issues but then my miles are not that high where as my sons 05 XB has about 220 K and drives anywhere he wants with no issues !!!!!!

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Sleep comfort would be the driving factor for me. I wouldn't want to make a trip like that with anything smaller than a Grand Caravan or Odyssey so I could sleep on a nearly flat surface with my legs fully extended. Then again, I'm 48, not 21.

Try taking it on a weekend trip and see how that goes.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,123 Posts
A consideration for any conversion items you may want to add is the Gen 1 xB has a combined capacity weight of 825 pounds for occupants and cargo. Your MPG would be reduced with that payload.

I have never driven my xB in snow or ice, but how they perform in those weather conditions may need to be a factor for your planned northern routes.

The vehicle's interior size should be fine for sleeping. Here again, the time of year and ambient temperature will impact your comfort factor.

Safe journey, and plan well.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
They handle well in snow and ice !! I have snow tires and at stock height, will not lower due to the fact I will not plow snow !!! Like above statement you will have to plan your trip to our weather !!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on how tall you are I could see sleeping being okay. If you take the head rests off and fold everything down u can get a fairly flat surface. I would suggest getting some window vents for the side so you could have some airflow. Throw down a foam pad and u will be fine! :)
As for reliability the xb is the most reliable vehicle I've owned so far.
As per note of the weight issue. This is fact. I have personally blown out my suspension after packing the inside to the top with camping gear for a week. Riding on bump stops sucks. There is a thread around here that incorporates an inflatable bag for RVs that are loaded down when to heavy, might be worth checking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts