DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right! - Scion xB Forum
 1Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Ok guys, I have finally complteted the rear disc conversion on my car and I have over 200 miles on them. I am verry happy with the out come and I encourage a lot of people to do this.

I would like to thank:
Rcurry- Mike from Alliance Auto Sports (Made/testsed the kit)
Thatrotorshop- Adam (Great rotors at an even better price)
PCH- Victor (Help with rebuild)

First 2 supplied parts for the entire build and tons of support! Victor helped me along the way with advice and providing links to rebuild the calipers. I have never done any of this before, and I did all of the work with hand tools, friends, and a dremel.

Obtain kit with full instructions from Rcurry:


Obtain rotors from an '88 MR2 from Adam @ Thatrotorshop:

Calipers from local junk yard from an '88 Corolla GTS


Post teasers

Mock up


Tear down old calipers and disassemble

Clean!!!


Caliper brackets being modified

MADMAN!!

Grinding even and measuring with calipers

High temp paint

Clean everything up using brake fluid








Remove stock drum (ebrake off)

Remove stock hub assembly

All new stuff remounted




Helpful links:

Thatrotorshop for rotors
https://www.clubxb.com/forums/f30/cro...ted-38509.html

Rcurry and the rear DB thread
https://www.clubxb.com/forums/f26/rea...ion-28528.html

Link for disassembling rear calipers and rebuilding(thanks PCH):
MKI MR2 Write-ups

Thanks everyone. I will post prices and other info later.
I will posts costs and other info as people ask for it!
SlaughtrHousjak likes this.

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh
whitej47 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Coast, Cali
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eggie is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

does the e-brake work?

I am the way, and the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14:6

Michael (aka: eggie)
Central Coast SE
Alltech Computers

iTSmYSCION
eggie is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

E-brake is fully functional! Mike includes directions for hooking everything up. Took about 2 hours for install once all parts were modified. I have a 5-speed and needed to have an ebrake

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh
whitej47 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shincan is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

wow..thx for sharing Joe...me and my friend was talking about it last night....
shincan is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
RS4 #303
 
sdsnybny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,899
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
sdsnybny has a spectacular aura about sdsnybny has a spectacular aura about
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsnybny
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Nice write up, did you get to keep your camber?

Steve
#303 MYRS4XB/single parent its all good style
sdsnybny is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM
-LoSt-
 
LoSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LoSt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LoSt
Good stuff. Maybe I can help on the next one lmao!!!!

Good DIY mayn

-LoSt-



LoSt is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

^ Ah crap dude, my bad. I totally couldn't have got this done without you. I wrote this article in 30 mins last night while I was at work at 0300. Thanks for all of your help, bot physical and emotional!!! lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsnybny View Post
Nice write up, did you get to keep your camber?
I took my camber out because my tire wear was jacked and I wanted to see how things ran stock-like. But you can totally throw camber shims in behind these plates! I have some more pics I will post up in a bit...

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh

Last edited by whitej47; 03-13-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
whitej47 is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
 
blackscionxb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The OG OC
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
blackscionxb will become famous soon enough
Garage
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Very nice Joe. always staying one step ahead of the game.


:clap: :clap: :clap:

[]P [] []\/[] []P [] []\[]'

blackscionxb is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
@HFDane on Instagram
 
The_Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Griffin, GA
Posts: 6,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The_Doctor will become famous soon enough
What are the hubs from?


Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk




Follow me on Instagram @HFDane
The_Doctor is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Low Post Triple O.G.
 
ZumCRX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 859
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ZumCRX1 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Nice man. If I might ask, other than your time, do you know how much you have invested in the swap?

ZumCRX1
ZumCRX1 is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

You re-use your stock hubs, or Rcurry will include machined hubs for the kit. I would go with the pre-machined parts as they are hard for many DIYers.

"Bare bones" kit:
Hardware, stainless rear lines, and brackets from Rcurry-$220 shipped
Rotors from Adam @ Thatrotorshop- $130 shipped
Used calipers from local wrecking yard- $75
High temp paint from local auto parts- $17
Rebuild kit from Toyota for all new rubber- $33
Brake fluid and misc(dremel accessories, etc.)- $50
Hawk semi-metallic pads on eBay- $20 shipped

Little over $500 for the kit. What did I spend? lol. You can cheap out on certain items. For instance, powder coating would have been another $100, no biggie right? Well I would have had to buy $100 in tools to get the calipers fully apart. Then something inside could have been messed up...I just decided to leave em. So I saved $180 or so by painting. BUT, I had to have the fronts match the rears, so I bought SS brake lines and rotors for the front from Adam @ Thatrotorshop as well. Really good products on both of their parts. The front rotors are much more dense than stock and stainless lines really increase the "grip" of the pads. Added expense, the options are unlimited really. I think I spent about $900 or so on everything. I made a few stupid mistakes like throwing the little pad clips away that came on the used calipers. I thought the new pads would have them included...that was a $38 unexpected expense from the dealer...

All in all, if you are cool with using stock components and don't want a lot of "flash" to the kit, you could probably spend under $400. But after having done the work, I would go with the pre-machined caliper brackets from Rcurry because I had a ***** of a time getting those to be precise. I think that took the longest. Machining down the stock hub spokes and boring out the pilot hole are really no big deal.

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh
whitej47 is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Low Post Triple O.G.
 
ZumCRX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 859
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ZumCRX1 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitej47 View Post
You re-use your stock hubs, or Rcurry will include machined hubs for the kit. I would go with the pre-machined parts as they are hard for many DIYers.

"Bare bones" kit:
Hardware, stainless rear lines, and brackets from Rcurry-$220 shipped
Rotors from Adam @ Thatrotorshop- $130 shipped
Used calipers from local wrecking yard- $75
High temp paint from local auto parts- $17
Rebuild kit from Toyota for all new rubber- $33
Brake fluid and misc(dremel accessories, etc.)- $50
Hawk semi-metallic pads on eBay- $20 shipped

Little over $500 for the kit. What did I spend? lol. You can cheap out on certain items. For instance, powder coating would have been another $100, no biggie right? Well I would have had to buy $100 in tools to get the calipers fully apart. Then something inside could have been messed up...I just decided to leave em. So I saved $180 or so by painting. BUT, I had to have the fronts match the rears, so I bought SS brake lines and rotors for the front from Adam @ Thatrotorshop as well. Really good products on both of their parts. The front rotors are much more dense than stock and stainless lines really increase the "grip" of the pads. Added expense, the options are unlimited really. I think I spent about $900 or so on everything. I made a few stupid mistakes like throwing the little pad clips away that came on the used calipers. I thought the new pads would have them included...that was a $38 unexpected expense from the dealer...

All in all, if you are cool with using stock components and don't want a lot of "flash" to the kit, you could probably spend under $400. But after having done the work, I would go with the pre-machined caliper brackets from Rcurry because I had a ***** of a time getting those to be precise. I think that took the longest. Machining down the stock hub spokes and boring out the pilot hole are really no big deal.
I hadn't planned on cheeping out. I was wondering if it was cost effective for me. But It is not, The output for what is gained is defiantly not worth it for myself.

ZumCRX1
ZumCRX1 is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Yeah I hear you! Not everyone is capable of completing this conversion. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I give it about a 10/10 in terms of DIY. If you buy the pre assembled kit from Mike then it would be about a 4/10 and about as hard as installing hub spacers.

As far as "out put" you really have to have a completely built car to appreciate subtitles such as a kit that NO ONE else has.

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh
whitej47 is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Low Post Triple O.G.
 
ZumCRX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 859
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ZumCRX1 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitej47 View Post
Yeah I hear you! Not everyone is capable of completing this conversion. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I give it about a 10/10 in terms of DIY. If you buy the pre assembled kit from Mike then it would be about a 4/10 and about as hard as installing hub spacers.

As far as "out put" you really have to have a completely built car to appreciate subtitles such as a kit that NO ONE else has.

No it Has nothing to do with capability, I've built several cars from ground up, From all over the range. I'm fully capable of fab work, I'm looking at it at a $400 dollar plus, rear disc fab on a 108 hp economy car.

ZumCRX1
ZumCRX1 is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
BIGRAN
 
RAW3XB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Douglasville GA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RAW3XB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RAW3XB
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

AWSOME with a capitol A........Nice!!
RAW3XB is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
whitej47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
whitej47 will become famous soon enough whitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZumCRX1 View Post
...I'm looking at it at a $400 dollar plus, rear disc fab on a 108 hp economy car....
Well you are the ONLY one out of about 100 different people I have discussed the conversion with that seems to have nothing but negative feedback. If individuality is what you are striving to achieve, congrats sir, on a job well done

ETA= Soon enough...June '12, made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
...and FUSA...
naahhhhhhh
whitej47 is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Low Post Triple O.G.
 
ZumCRX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 859
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ZumCRX1 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitej47 View Post
Well you are the ONLY one out of about 100 different people I have discussed the conversion with that seems to have nothing but negative feedback. If individuality is what you are striving to achieve, congrats sir, on a job well done
Completely the contrary. I really was curious on cost. It is a nice conversion, and looks great, I was merely stating, once you post the list of cost, not to mention I'm sure many hours of your time, that is wasn't cost effective enough for myself. I do appreciate you documenting your conversion, as I'm sure it will help others in doing so if the wish to tackle it. Again, I was curious on cost, because It was something I had been thinking about for some time.

ZumCRX1
ZumCRX1 is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
PCH
06.5 TCM
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

Good to see this project completed in short time. All parts look top notch and everything should be doable now by an average guy thanks to your DIY. More people should follow this, looks great

PCH is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Registered User
 
SAKURA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SAKURA has a spectacular aura about SAKURA has a spectacular aura about
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

thumps up joe!

i also had my eyes on the matrix forum for the full conversion.

SAKURA is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM
 
gothbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a van down by the river.
Posts: 5,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
gothbox will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to gothbox
Re: DIY Rear Disc Brakes- Gen 1 xB...yep you read right!

great write up, and looks great as well.

Will have to add this to the "wish list" for the car and see how long it takes to actually think about doing it LOL.


Scion Evolution Memphis Chapter
www.sememphis.com
gothbox is offline  
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome