Scion xB Forum

Scion xB Forum (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB Suspension, Chassis & Brakes (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/26-scion-xb-suspension-chassis-brakes/)
-   -   Where to go to get suspension adjusted? (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-suspension-chassis-brakes/85234-where-go-get-suspension-adjusted.html)

BumbleXB 09-19-2017 08:30 PM

Where to go to get suspension adjusted?

I have an 06 that's lowered on coilovers. It's too low and I need to get it raised up. Problem is I don't have a jack or 2x4's, etc. So I need to take it to a shop. I really only need to go up about an inch so I quit scraping everywhere. What type of shop would you take your XB to if you needed this done?

42_Hugo 09-19-2017 09:05 PM

Re: Where to go to get suspension adjusted?

I'd call around and ask. Explain your situation, and get pricing if they do. Never hurts to try.
I've also had good luck with Craigslist mechanics. There are also mechanics that are trying to start their own businesses on there with shops and all. Helps when they have pictures as well. And they will almost most likely to be cheaper.
Hope it works out. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

BumbleXB 12-02-2017 04:44 PM

Sorry I left this one hanging so long. Getting a new set of tires installed this coming Monday and afterward I'm taking it to a shop to have an alignment done and the suspension set up. Only going to cost $20 per shock to get it set the way I want it.

BumbleXB 12-11-2017 12:17 AM

Unfortunately, the lockrings were seized and the guy couldn't break them loose. He suggested a new set of springs for $500, but I could get 4 brand new coilovers for that price, and they'd be nice ones too. Will just be buying new ones next year.

Robs_Box 12-11-2017 11:29 AM

Any mechanic that cannot break free seized rings/bolts isn't worth going to. I'd try somewhere else. If I were closer I'd come by and help you for free.

JPB 12-11-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robs_Box (Post 1485665)
Any mechanic that cannot break free seized rings/bolts isn't worth going to. I'd try somewhere else. If I were closer I'd come by and help you for free.

Absolutely agree with the above!

Yes, they're probably partially seized through corrosion, but a good soak with Duck Oil, Plusgas or even good old Diesel fuel is likely to penetrate sufficiently. The rings on adjustable coilover units are usually shallow and of large diameter compared to the depth of their threads, so it might be that even removing the leg and holding the ring (gently does it..) in a decent bench vice with cork or aluminium jaw pads would get the rings free.
Worst case scenario, the rings could be cut with careful use of a hacksaw then prised off, new rings are available for all of the good brands of coilover. I use AVOs on my track cars, but have fitted Maxspeedingrods, Koni, Spax and BC units with success and have always managed to get hold of parts for these things.

I also wonder whether the mechanic you asked may simply not have wanted to take the job, in which case some folk will feed the customer any old BS rather than just admit that they'd sooner spend the day doing routine servicing work!

BumbleXB 12-11-2017 01:49 PM

I took my XB to a shop that only does suspension and alignment. I suspect he didn't want to mess with it at the price I was quoted. I figured that they could be soaked with penetrating oil or something like it, but he was too lazy or cheap to do it. I don't have to tools or anyone able to help me locally, so I'm kind of stuck with it as is for now.