post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
RS2SYBOX is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
2008 xB electrical/light issue

I recently installed aftermarket fog lights on the xB and everything seemed well afterwards. Had to splice into the factory harness but that was easier said than done at first. Once I figured it out, lights worked as intended.

Now hereís the issue:
Some of the HVAC indicating bulbs donít light up now, so itís not easy to see where it is set at night. Also the PRNDL light doesnít light up either. I did meter out that socket and its shorted out. Also, bulb works fine so Iím not sure where to start.

No voltage either, shouldíve mentioned I checked that before checking continuity. All fuses in front are good too.

Any pointers or tips are appreciated. Iím at a loss and the gf hates that she canít see the lights anymore, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Lots o leather and copper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
GregS is on a distinguished road
Re: 2008 xB electrical/light issue

You'll probably hate yourself if it's this but check to make sure that your dimmer isn't turned down since it's right next to the stock fog light switch location there is a very good possibility that it was dimmed. If it's ok then start checking the outputs from it to make sure they are good.

Also if you've got some of the HVAC lights out but not others they could just be loose. It's happened before and a solid thump to the side of the controls will usually shiftt them enough to make it work again.
se-r_dad likes this.

FB & IG : Steelpunkxb
post #3 of 5 Old 12-20-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
You'll probably hate yourself if it's this but check to make sure that your dimmer isn't turned down since it's right next to the stock fog light switch location there is a very good possibility that it was dimmed. If it's ok then start checking the outputs from it to make sure they are good.

Also if you've got some of the HVAC lights out but not others they could just be loose. It's happened before and a solid thump to the side of the controls will usually shiftt them enough to make it work again.

I would too if that was the case. Thankfully ruled out the dimmer prior to this though. The thing that struck me as odd is that with no parking lights/headlights on, the PRNDL light isnít on but when metered, itís shorted out.

When the lights are on, theres no voltage (since the bulb socket is shorted)

---------- Post added 12-20-2019 at 01:20 PM ----------

Iím just not sure where to go from here given the situation. Also emailed Winjet but theyíre no help. I asked for the relay pinout and they sent me the writing diagram for the whole kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Have you tried unwiring the fog lights to see if everything starts working again?

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonbldr View Post
Have you tried unwiring the fog lights to see if everything starts working again?

I have, and the issue still remains. Also I noticed that the radio doesnít light up either aside from the screen. She had the car in for some recall fixes last year and she mentioned having some issues with cruise control around that time. Iím going to take a look at the paperwork to see what work was done and see if there could be a correlation there or with the lighting.

She only recently told me about the cruise control issue too. Go figure, she waits until theres multiple issues haha.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page