Ok, well first things first, if you try this on your car or your car accessories and mess it up... don't come yelling at me. I accept ZERO responsibility for damages accrued while attemping to modify any part of your vehicle.
Now thats out of the way, let me also say that i didn't
purchase the USDM OEM fogs from Scion or the crazy expensive JDM bB fogs. These were purchased in August 2007 during a foglight group buy hosted by MussBuss and are an e-bay brand
"Atomic Street". The process I used is as follows:
18" of aluminum foil wrapped into a log
Steak knife (pictured but maybe not necessary)
Phillips head screwdriver
Colored paint of choice
Silicone sealant of choice
First, receive some foglights from a friendly ClubxB group-buy:
Then open the package and return the foglight with a chipped lense and a missing screw:
Once the replacement comes in the mail, go ahead and sort everything out. Here is everything once it is laid out.:
You will need to remove all plastic pieces from the foglight assembly. That includes the thin plastic cover on the side of the assembly, light bulb, black light bulb cover, three screws which hold it, two black plastic mounting clips (may not be provided with USDM or JDM lamps), black rubber curved vent, and aiming screw. There will be one plastic piece that should not be removed, the white piece shown below. Lastly, at least on the USDM lamps there is a screw that helps hold the lense in place that should be removed also:
Take 18" aluminum foil and roll it into a log. Now preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Place the aluminum foil log on the pan you've selected. Place the foglamp on the pan, using the aluminum foil to keep the lense of the lamp off of the pan. This not only keeps the lense from melting, but also makes it easier to pick up.
Set the timer for 15 minutes. As you will see later in this post, the sealant that was used by the manufacturer required much more time than 15 minutes. I believe it was actually around 25-30 minutes, but I still believe you should start with the lowest amount of time possible. If you need too, increase from the 15 minutes in 4 minute intervals.
Once the sealant is warm/loose enough, use your butterknife to slowly remove the lense. It may take a little time, but it will come off, just be patient.
Once it is removed it will look like this inside with this super tough sealant inside. Use whatever you can to remove all of it. I chose to run the box cutter down the edges and remove the sealant in strips:
I chose to use a model brush paint that is suppose to be chrome. My goal wasn't to make it perfectly shiny inside, but to make it less dark and maybe improve light output. After painting:
After your paint has dried and you are happy with the result, use your sealant to reseal the lense to the housing. Other members suggest rebaking your foglamps to ensure a good seal. I did not do this and I haven't had any problems with leaking or fogging but it isn't a bad idea.
Because this is a solo act, I don't have any pictures of me sealing the fog lamps.
Here is the end result:
I'm pretty happy with the end result, but later on down the road I may re-bake, paint, and seal the lamps.
If you have any questions about performing this, feel free to send me a message and I will help you through the process.
Finish the job with this DIY Article and you've got a cheap mod that looks great: