Scion xB Forum banner

Xb Stolen.. where to wire in cut-off?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dahozzmn 
#1 ·
I had three Xb's in family. Now down to 2. Want to tap into the Starter relay and put in a switch to open circuit in the other 2. Anyone know where the ST relay is? Or is there a better place to wire in a cut-off switch?

#3 ·
you might be better off tapping into the fuel pump wiring. Iirc, that's a common practice among 90s honda owners, since they're so easily stolen.
++++1

#5 ·
Both is better.

Security system for day to day. But those can be overridden with one of those fabled black boxes that can cycle through the frequencies.

A manual fuel cut off provides redundant separate and apart security for those times you're not so sure about where you parked your xB. Thieves want to get out of there quick. So maybe they overrode the electronic security and got your car started. But then it unexpectedly runs out of fuel, most likely they'll simply abandon the hit rather then take time to find the hidden fuel switch.

#7 ·
I stand updated on the "black box" notion. But I still like the separate and apart redundant mechanical backup.

That said, what is your opinion of the factory alarm? Given it's 2006 technology.

Related, LoJack security as the quiet guardian?

---------- Post added 09-20-2015 at 07:21 PM ----------

To be clear, the fuel pump switch idea is an additional layer of security beyond an electronic alarm system. And, agreed, it would seem odd that someone would invest big dollars in a sound system, etc and not add a good quality alarm system to help protect it. But, truth be told, it's only a deterrent. A Rottweiler who hasn't eaten in a few days is real protection. :)

#8 ·
Lol true....but if all he can do is gum you to death welp.

lojack hasnt changed....you have to know the car is missing ( which could be mins or hours). You have better options with companies like directed,compustar and voxx in the way of real time gps tracking/monitoring of your car.

While the oem system is better than nothing...its still designed to be installed on a mass produced vehicle. that means its the same across the platform. grab any shop manual and take a look.

---------- Post added 09-21-2015 at 11:06 AM ----------

I typed off a quick reply this morning...now I have more time.

Time is a thief's worst enemy...the longer the target is visible and attracting attention..the greater the chance they can get caught in the act. And many times the owners make it easy by not understanding that just because your keyless entry fob beeps the horn means you have an alarm. Heres something anyone can try out:

roll down a drivers window
"arm" system
wait 1 min.
reach in and open door from inside.
if the oem horn does not trigger...you dont have an alarm.

My all time fave thing to do in the way of automotive security..is to do a Trojan...think Trojan horse.

I place and non functional security/key-less/entry unit in an obvious place under the dash...this is the distraction piece. the real system is typically located elsewhere or better camouflaged in the car. Another thing is to use tesa tape or similar wire coverings that are present in the car-its all about blending in. I did a car and duplicated the scheme of the airbag harness for the interrupt wiring. The possibilities are endless.

#9 ·
I have an old alarm box I might have to faux install. Great idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.