Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Lighting & Electrical There's options for Scion xB Lighting and Electrical from the factory, but honestly where's the fun in that. In this Scion xB Lighting and Electrical forum you can share ideas with eachother on what works well and looks good for Scion xB lighting.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
PermA-n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DarkSide_xB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DarkSide_xB
(Thread Starter)
Question Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit

I know this stuff has been talked about a few times. I've done the reading of other threads and it all still seems a bit confusing to me still. SO many different opinions. I'm trying to get all of them together in one thread to see if I can get a better understanding of it all at once.

I'm looking at getting projectors again. But the last time I had them, the light coming out of them was way less then my stock headlights. I had thought about adding HID's to them but then I had been involved in an accident which destroyed the ones I had on the car. It's been several years and I'm finally ready to do the whole HALO Projector light again. It's just now I know for sure that I want HID's in them. I want the best light on the road I can get. I read about guys doing Retrofits which I didn't quite understand that whole idea.

I like the look of the HALO Projector, but I want the bright light of the HID's for driving, high beam and yellow for my fog lights, but I also don't want to lose the focus of the lights on the road. Not just to have the HID's flood everything in front of me. So if there is a way for me to combine all of this, please help me figure this out. Lighting hasn't exactly been much of a strong suit for me. All help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for bringing this back up again and being slightly stupid in regards to lighting.

U.S. ARMY Paratrooper! 82nd Airborne! All The Way!

Paratroopers Don't Die, They Just Slip Away!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Rcdrift is on a distinguished road
Re: Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit

the best light out put your going to get is a projector retro fit with a good quality projector. But its a DIY and isnt cheap. Expect to pay 500$+ in materials.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
PermA-n00b

(Thread Starter)

I don't mind it being expensive. I'm just worried about quality. I'll do whatever to get it right the first time.

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 11:33 AM ----------

Is there any specific advice you can give me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Waldo is on a distinguished road

Do some research on here: The Retrofit Source Inc

I'm in the final stages of my own retrofit on stock housings.

Info I found (cause I'm a cheapo)"

-Ebay retrofits are generally working models, they just tend to be last generation (oh darn) but much cheaper.

-you can basically do whatever you want....once you get that projector set where you want it, you can literally use any material you want to get the look you want. as long as your housings seal, and you dont cover that projector and you keep in mind HID's produce lots of heat, you can go to town.

-TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I HIGHLY suggest modifying a 2nd set (unless you own a garage queen) sometimes things take longer than expected. and generally your quality of a build will be better if your not in a rush.

just my .02
post #5 of 39 Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
P.Lindblom is on a distinguished road

I've used Ebay bixenon projectors on two different cars and the light output is far better than before the retrofit. If I had an XB this I would definitely go for this option.

Here's the kit I used (Morimoto Mini H1 replica): New 2 5" Bi Xenon HID Projector Kit Lens Car Headlights Retrofit Shroud AC 35W | eBay

Here are a few pictures from a DIY I made:

Here's a picture I took with the projector headlight off. This is the amount of light you get from the standard halogen low beam.

This picture was taken using the same shutter speed and aperture, but with only the projector light on. As you can see it's a lot brighter and the cutoff is really sharp.

post #6 of 39 Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
PermA-n00b

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Do some research on here: The Retrofit Source Inc

I'm in the final stages of my own retrofit on stock housings.

Info I found (cause I'm a cheapo)"

-Ebay retrofits are generally working models, they just tend to be last generation (oh darn) but much cheaper.

-you can basically do whatever you want....once you get that projector set where you want it, you can literally use any material you want to get the look you want. as long as your housings seal, and you dont cover that projector and you keep in mind HID's produce lots of heat, you can go to town.

-TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I HIGHLY suggest modifying a 2nd set (unless you own a garage queen) sometimes things take longer than expected. and generally your quality of a build will be better if your not in a rush.

just my .02
Thanks for the input, definitely gonna do the research before I do anything. Just trying to find as many who know about this kinda thing. I definitely won't rush anything.

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Lindblom View Post
I've used Ebay bixenon projectors on two different cars and the light output is far better than before the retrofit. If I had an XB this I would definitely go for this option.

Here's the kit I used (Morimoto Mini H1 replica): New 2 5" Bi Xenon HID Projector Kit Lens Car Headlights Retrofit Shroud AC 35W | eBay

Here are a few pictures from a DIY I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUZ9Co1VEw

Here's a picture I took with the projector headlight off. This is the amount of light you get from the standard halogen low beam.

This picture was taken using the same shutter speed and aperture, but with only the projector light on. As you can see it's a lot brighter and the cutoff is really sharp.

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. Just want to use halo headlights for extra look and feel. Then need to replace the halo with something stronger and different color.

post #7 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HisBobness is on a distinguished road

Noob here. First post. New owner of an '08 xB.

I've been researching the halo led projector lights, but most of the reviews are several years old and would like to get an updated perspective. My budget is $200 and am considering these

2008 2010 Scion XB LED Halo Projector Headlights JDM Black | eBay

If you have these headlights, how are the holding up? Do they fit without any gaps? Do the H1 provided lamps give the headlight the "cool" color temperature?

Thanks all!
post #8 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
tilt will become famous soon enough
Garage

I've done a few dozen sets of headlights now. Halos and projectors are two separate pieces. The projector is for the high and low beam and the halo is the ring of LEDs around it. I did these on my tyc headlights on my show car and on my stock headlights for my daily. Both are gen1s. Let me see if I can figure out how to post pics from my phone.

Personally, being in the car audio, video, security, and lighting business for over 15 years, I hate aftermarket headlights. They never are as good as building your own, especially with what's available out there now. Not to mention they always end up leaking. And I know people will say "I've had my headlights for x amount of years and they don't leak" but I deal with dozens of sets a week so I see a lot of problems.

"Your best?! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen."

Professional Installer of Mobile Products

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son." - jor-el

"Save the cheerleader, save the world..."

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits....
post #9 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 10:22 PM

Garage

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421036288.738454.jpg
Here's my tyc retrofit with projectors and halos. Rewired to have high and low beam on the projector and what used to be the high beam is now a daytime running light.

If this pic works I'll know I did it right and add more

"Your best?! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen."

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son." - jor-el

post #10 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 PM

Garage

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037045.567929.jpg
My daily with stock headlight housings, blacked out, flat lenses, morimoto mini projectors, and halos.

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037109.530813.jpg
2013 sienna replaced factory projectors with the morimotos and added halos.

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037165.800248.jpg
14 tundra. Put in projectors, shroud with dual halos and an additional halo around the drl

post #11 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 PM

Garage

The Amber halo is the turn signal on that last one.

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037298.308973.jpg
This is anothe 14 tundra but the bigger halo is not a turn signal. Otherwise the same as the previous one.

Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037343.183141.jpg
This is a before and after of a 13 tundra. Again added projectors and a shroud with dual halos. That inner one is just a reflection.

post #12 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 PM

Garage

First pic in last post was wrong. Here's the correct one
Projectors, HID's, and Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421037471.906592.jpg

post #13 of 39 Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
PermA-n00b

(Thread Starter)

So you're using the stock housing just doing the retro fit and adding halo? This is definitely something I'm willing to give a try.

post #14 of 39 Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HisBobness is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, Tilt. I went ahead and bought the ones I mentioned above. I'll do a bit of research on what I can do to weatherproof them a bit. I like the appearance most of all so that def swayed me in. Since this style has been around a few years, I'm hoping the quality is better. Maybe I should have waited for Plasma.... Oh well, $150 aint gonna break the bank.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSide_xB View Post
So you're using the stock housing just doing the retro fit and adding halo? This is definitely something I'm willing to give a try.

Yeah. And they mount in pretty easily to the xb1 factory bulb hole.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 11:41 AM ----------

I actually get a lot of people who have bought aftermarket headlights have me do the retrofit on their stock ones after cuz the aftermarket ones are crap. No offense hisbobness

post #16 of 39 Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned User

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
BigRuss will become famous soon enough
Garage

That Mr.Spyder is something sexy....

I'm a mother phuckin evil genius... for real
post #17 of 39 Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Government Approved

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
RyanR is on a distinguished road

The new(er) TRS projector drop in kits by Morimoto are really really convenient and easy. If they can work with the xB's (I haven't researched this), then I would highly recommend doing it to save a lot of trouble of aiming and altering the reflector bowls of the OEM lamps. As mentioned above, definitely buy a 2nd set to work on, with good clean outer lenses - this is important for light quality.

Here's a good guide that I made when I did my 2nd retrofit with RX350 bi-xenon units, as an example of what you're in for:
https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-x...-retrofit.html

If you're not up to this, there are a few recommended retrofitters on TRS, and loads of other private party guys that would be more than happy to do it for you.

-RyanR
post #18 of 39 Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Waldo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
The new(er) TRS projector drop in kits by Morimoto are really really convenient and easy. If they can work with the xB's (I haven't researched this), then I would highly recommend doing it to save a lot of trouble of aiming and altering the reflector bowls of the OEM lamps. As mentioned above, definitely buy a 2nd set to work on, with good clean outer lenses - this is important for light quality.

Here's a good guide that I made when I did my 2nd retrofit with RX350 bi-xenon units, as an example of what you're in for:
https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-x...-retrofit.html

If you're not up to this, there are a few recommended retrofitters on TRS, and loads of other private party guys that would be more than happy to do it for you.

The newer projectors will fit right in the stock shrouds without having to cut a big hole like you did for yours. much easier haha
they basically just screw into the stock shroud....however make sure your new projector shroud will fit (I had to cut mine down to fit)

BTW, love the build. I actually took alot of inspiration for my build off yours
post #19 of 39 Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PermA-n00b

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Yeah. And they mount in pretty easily to the xb1 factory bulb hole.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 11:41 AM ----------

I actually get a lot of people who have bought aftermarket headlights have me do the retrofit on their stock ones after cuz the aftermarket ones are crap. No offense hisbobness
it's there a way to add, say two projectors, to a stock housing to create a custom touch of my own or would that be too much? How easy is it to add halos to this? I've never done anything with headlights before that's why I keep asking questions. Also, in order to own the headlights up, how would I go about doing that? I would like to paint the inside of the headlight a different color once I compete the retrofit. Thanks for all the help you've given me this far.

post #20 of 39 Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 PM

Garage

There's not really an easy way to put two projectors because the back of the housing is curved. I thought about doing this myself but it would take a lot of modifying to the factory housing to make it work.

As far as adding halos it's really easy. I use picture frame wiring, the really small one, to mount the halo to the shroud. I used to use a very strong glue but even with a strong is the glue was it eventually broke free because of the heat in the headlight.

You can paint the housing however you want to just do it before you mount the projector. Make sure you clean it really good first

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page