LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kazzak is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Rear Camera/rearview mirror monitor install

For anyone that is curious. I bought a E0978 10.2 Inch LCD Monitor + High Definition camera off eBay for 90.00 shipped. This is just a test case and although everything works OK, its not what a professional would come up with. Tested everything on the bench to make sure it worked. Was going to install it thru the rear windshield washer hole, but decided for now to keep it inside and out of the weather. If I keep it I will have to fab up a bracket and a glass/plastic lens to cover the windshield washer hole. The easiest install is shown in the pics. I popped off the rear brake light plastic cover, measured the center and gave a 1/4 inch clearance between the camera lens and the back glass. drilled two small holes, installed two bolts and lock washers. The opening for the brake light wires is plenty big to feed the wires over to the rubber boot that connects the rear hatch to the body. I did the standard way of feeding wires thru anything, a piece of wire is feed between the two openings and then you hook/tape the wire to one end and pull them thru. The first slowdown was feeding the RCA plug thru that rubber boot. A tight fit but it did finally go thru. I then popped the rear side plastic panel just enough to pull down the headliner and enough to feed the wires into the roof area. Then remove both of the roof hand grips, pull down on the door gaskets so you can pull down on the headliner. Again use the wire trick from the rear passenger area to the hatch opening, hook the wires and pull them forward. Remove the passenger side windshield pillar and feed the wires down the pillar and to the bottom of the glove box area. 1st problem was the 12v and gnd wires weren't long enough. I soldered on another 4 feet of wire. The RCA plug wire is plenty long.
The rear view mirror/camera just clips to the stock rear view mirror. It has one cable that easily tucks under the front headliner and you feed it also down the door pillar area. Just to get things installed I found a three pin connector near the fuse box that has a 12 or 14 gauge red, yellow and orange wires, I checked that they have 12 volts when the key is in the ON position. I don't know what this connecter feeds in the car, but for now it works almost fine. I tapped into the pin and used that ground bolt near the floorboard under the fuse box. I ran these two wires under the dash and over to all the other wires that I ran to under the glovebox. I twisted and soldered all the grounds together, Then I twisted all the 12 volt wires plus the "Reverse" switch wire. The LCD has a power switch on it so thats good enough for now.
Everything checks out fine, so took a spin.
Now the problems.
1. The LCD monitor gets wavy lines thru the picture when the engine is running. Now I remember the good ole days when you needed resistor spark plugs to eliminate interferance with the AM radio. Does anyone know what is causeing these wavy lines on the monitor only when the engine is running. And the frequency of the lines increases with rpm's. Its not horrible, but it is annoying.
Do I need to shorten the ground wires or buy a power filter?
2. The monitor is very heavy, every big bump and it swings down a little. I will have to fab up a bracket to keep it from moving.
3. I tried using it full time. Its great in the daylight. super wide angle and you can see cars alongside you all the way up to the bumper. Nighttime sucks, but its probably illegal to use it at night anyway
4. Maybe its due to looking thru the rear hatch glass, but the resolution is not very crisp..

The good. Wide angle, has a blue bar distance grid that shows distance and width. has adjustable display so you can use half the monitor as a regular rear veiw mirror and leave the other half on the camera.
Has an extra RCA line in for a game or DVD player.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	974
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	14071   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	14072   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	14073   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	932
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	14074   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	14075  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kazzak is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Re: Rear Camera/rearview mirror monitor install

the rest of the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	14076   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	14077   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	14078   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	14079   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	1469
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	14080  

post #3 of 5 Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Lots o leather and copper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
GregS is on a distinguished road

Looks great. I thought about picking one up, but have others projects I want to finish first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazzak View Post
Now the problems.
1. The LCD monitor gets wavy lines thru the picture when the engine is running. Now I remember the good ole days when you needed resistor spark plugs to eliminate interferance with the AM radio. Does anyone know what is causeing these wavy lines on the monitor only when the engine is running. And the frequency of the lines increases with rpm's. Its not horrible, but it is annoying.
Do I need to shorten the ground wires or buy a power filter?
I would try running a different video cable. The one it comes with doesn't look to have any sheilding to speak of and is probably the problem. Video cables have to have a 75 ohm resistance which is acheived by having the center conductor a set distance from the shield. This is not possible with the style cable they have supplied with it.

Quote:
3. I tried using it full time. Its great in the daylight. super wide angle and you can see cars alongside you all the way up to the bumper. Nighttime sucks, but its probably illegal to use it at night anyway
Probably true. Most states have laws on the books about having video displays visible to the driver when the car is in motion.

Quote:
4. Maybe its due to looking thru the rear hatch glass, but the resolution is not very crisp..

The good. Wide angle, has a blue bar distance grid that shows distance and width. has adjustable display so you can use half the monitor as a regular rear veiw mirror and leave the other half on the camera.
Has an extra RCA line in for a game or DVD player.
Try running it in the half screen mode. The poor resolution is probably mostly due to the image being streched out to fit the display shape. Trying to change the shape of an image really messes with the clarity of it without some pretty good processors to compensate for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough PCH is a jewel in the rough

Did you run the camera cable on the pass side next to the electrical harness? You may have less interference on the driver side of the roof, because only antenna wires are there.

post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

/\ /\ Sounds like Victor my have the answer for ya !! Great write up too !!
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page