post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Usual Suspect

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pirate is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
DIY Gen 2 Delivery conversion

I knew when I bought my 2010 XB I need more room this is how I adressed the issue.

I've removed the rear seat giving me more space. Your looking at a plywood deck/floor.

Here I've removed the foam rubber pad I made from 2'x2' foam floor tiles that are available at the Big Box Hareware stores. You'd need one package. This will give you an idea of the area of the deck appx 38" x 60". The neat thing about these pads is they match the texture of the dash.

This is the rear & side view without the pad. I used 3/4" redwood finished plywood. It is painted with 5 coats of RustOleum Painter's Touch Black Semi gloss paint. I love this stuff. The edges are trimed as it the upper back lip.

I used marine boat hatch hinges they are heavy duty and chrome so the match the other factory hareware. Basically the deck unit hinges butterfly style completly over on itself to allow it to be removed if need.

The rear storage area is left in origanal conformation. I have the rear lid proped up for a better picture.

I build a storage box in the area that was occupied by the rear seat. This area could also house speakers. Besides a Pirate needs a place to hid his treasure

Looking back I wish I had taken pics of the build. Here's some high lights

- Remove the spare tire cover.

- Remove the rear seat, seat belts and plastic storage tray under the seat. Reinstall all bolt in the holes as you go. You may opt to leave the short "v" seat belt in place.

- I used 4" x 1/8 thick steel angle brackets attached to floor using the seat bolts & the existing holes. 3 in front 2 behind. These are attachment points for the base. Your box will be attached the floor there.

- I used the swivel arms that allow the rear seat to fold over as my main load baring point. Cut a 2x4 to fit between the swivel arms. They have a "pin" at the end of the arm. Drill a hole in the 2x4 to accomidate the pins then using the existing bolt holes attach the 2x4. I used 2 - 2x5s + 1/4" board to get my desired ht. This becomes rear attachment point for the base box.

- Now it's a matter of building a box to meet your own needs. Using the angle brackets and the 2x4 are attachment points. REMEMBER, you got to get it in the car so concider the size BEFORE you build it.

- Mine rests in the lip as the factory spare tire lid does. A long 2x4 balanced on that lip can be used to set the ht. of the box. I like a little pitch to the back of the car. (1/2 to 3/4")

- I padded & wrapped the box. I think If I redid mine I might 'glass it and paint it.

- Since this build uses only factory attachment points, it can all be removed and the car be returned to OEM specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 11:20 PM
2010 xB Super white!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Century is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Gen 2 Delivery conversion

I've never seen anyone do this before. Props on the build.

btw, what are the plans with all the stuff you took out? Will you be willing to sell OR will you "go back to factory settings"?

Century!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Lots o leather and copper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
GregS is on a distinguished road

Very nice. I thought about doing something like this at one point when we started to use the xB to carry product for work but then we bought our Odyssey and the problem was solved. Do you have any problems with stuff sliding around on the wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2009, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
blackscionxb will become famous soon enough
Garage

I do believe that is what the foam rubber pad on it for. Right?

[]P [] []\/[] []P [] []\[]'

post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Usual Suspect

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pirate is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys!

Century - I'm storing everything in the event of selling the XB in the future. Although I think it would be a value for a small business or fellow dog nut as is.

GregS - Yes, I've got that wood is very smooth. The foam mat is for daily use and it works well.

GregS - My 1st concept was something like you did with your wood cover for the spare tire area. Which I think you did very well.

I knew I would not like the plank wood floor if it had a split/joint in the middle, like my design. I thought about a one pc. unit that would hinge at the front for spare tire access. Think fibeglass truck bed cover. However the angle would not allow much access to the front storage. I thought one could use drawers in the storage area. That was more engneering that I wanted to do.

Last edited by Pirate; 11-27-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Lots o leather and copper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
GregS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
GregS - Yes, I've got that wood is very smooth. The foam mat is for daily use and it works well.

GregS - My 1st concept was something like you did with your wood cover for the spare tire area. Which I think you did very well.

I knew I would not like the plank wood floor if it had a split/joint in the middle, like my design. I thought about a one pc. unit that would hinge at the front for spare tire access. Think fibeglass truck bed cover. However the angle would not allow much access to the front storage. I thought one could use drawers in the storage area. That was more engneering that I wanted to do.
Doh! I can't read very well as you can tell. I thought the foam pad was under the wood. Make more better sense with it on top.

I think what you did is much better for parctical use. Mine is obviously just for show.
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page