Let's talk mpg's - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Imtoasty is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Let's talk mpg's

With TexB's post about his Echo tranny swap, I got to thinking about fuel economy and real world driving. I recently did two 200 mile round trips, and used my Torque app to monitor my fuel efficiency. For the first trip I averaged 29 mpg with 55mph SoCal freeways and some spirited driving on rural roads, and on the second trip decided to keep up with traffic at 65-70mph and my mileage only dropped to 27.5 mpg's. My around town city driving gets 31mpg.

I find it strange that my city driving is more efficient than my highway driving. I don't like hyper-mile-ing, and around town I'm definitely not a slow driver. I do decelerate in gear, but I also heel-toe shift around corners and usually do 5 over the speed limit on each street.

The 5 speed does 3k RPM's @ 55 mph, but I expected to get 35 mpg, not less than 30.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk mpg's

Need to remember that there are different factors that make up MPG !!! Like your right foot.. Do you have a heavy foot ????? Do you coast to a red light to save on gas to take off ??? Do you plan your trips out ??? A lot of this myself I learned from (the 554 mile xB1 tank at 52.53 mpg) thread !!!! Remember that Right foot rules so the heavier you are the less MPG you will get !!! I have an 06 auto tranny and do coast when I can !! Took me awhile to get better MPG but I think I do pretty well !!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Dubee, that's why I'm a little confused. In town I drive it like a little rally car: hard and quick, I shift at 4-45k RPM's and heel-toe most corners, and I engine brake every chance I have. I barely use my brakes.

My confusion is why my highway mileage is less than my city mileage. I don't go over 55 and I take my time getting up there. These cars are not meant for freeways where the average speed is 75, so I just drive with the trucks in the slow lane, but I get 5mpg's less on highway compared to city...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM

dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Interesting indeed, have you cleaned the mass air sensor located on the air intake !! I do mine every 3 months if not sooner, another thing too is disconnect the battery for about 15 mins !! Doing this will reset the computer in da box and as you drive it will learn how you drive to help you get better MPG !!! I myself have never had my box over 70 MPH but in my younger days going about 85 to 100 was nothing with American muscle power !!!!! LOL
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

100 mph in an old muscle car must've felt great!

I cleaned the MAF and throttle body about a year ago, maybe it's time to clean them again.

Do you think if I reset the ECU and go for a long drive, will the car "learn" how to be more efficient at highway speeds? On the highway I drive in the slow lane with the big rigs, 55 mph @ 3,000 RPM's.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Yes but remember that when you do it the way you drive she will remember this as Right Foot Rules !!!! Do I get on da pedal with mine... Yes every now and then when I have someone who try,s to goat me !!! Got to fun every now and then !!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page