HELP! 2004 xB Intermittent No Acceletation - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Myopic
  • 1 Post By wagonbldr
  • 1 Post By greyghost
  • 2 Post By greyghost
  • 1 Post By greyghost

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
greyghost is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation HELP! 2004 xB Intermittent No Acceletation

Hello, I'm a long time xB fan and owner, though I don't post here often. I really really need some help with an issue I have with my 2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 Automatic Transmission.

Intermittently my car will not accelerate at all, meaning no matter where you put the throttle pedal you get nothing out of it, the engine sputters and sounds horrible, almost like a multiple cylinder misfire and there will be no change in vehicle speed. I can't even get it to accelerate going down a hill when the issue happens. However if keep driving sometimes it comes out of this strange limp home state, and is normal, also if I pull over and cycle the key usually it runs just fine. This issue has been intermittently occurring since about December, there were a few times I thought I had fixed it but it just came back. I have used my generic code reader to no avail, there have been no codes that I can read, and no lights in the cluster at all.

Things I have already done (I buy all my parts from local dealership):
  • Replaced the spark plugs with OEM Toyota plugs, torqued to spec.
  • Replaced the throttle plate sensor on the side oft the throttle body, OEM Toyota part.
  • Cleaned all fuses and relay contacts in the engine bay fuse boxes.
  • Found strut tower ground screws were very rusty, removed and replaced screws with ones from Toyota, also tapped the threads to clean out threads that were seized inside.
  • cleaned ground on the upper radiator support.
  • disconnected battery.

I used a friend's laptop with Toyota TIS software on it. Found following codes:
  • C1223 ABS control system malfunction= current
  • C1241 Low Battery Positive Voltage or Abnormally high Battery Positive Voltage = Current
  • B0101 Open in D squib circuit = history
  • B1181 Open in D squib (2nd step) circuit = history

Freeze frame data for C1223 code:
  • stop light SW = OFF
  • VSC/TRAC OFF SW = OFF
  • Shift Lever Position = D(M)
  • Operated system = no sys
  • number of IG ON = 0
  • vehicle speed = 20mph
  • steering angle sensor = 0 deg
  • yaw rate sensor = -1 deg/s
  • master cylinder sensor 1 = 0.47Volts
  • throttle sensor = 16 deg
  • master cylinder grade = 0 MPa/s
  • Right and left G = 0.05 G
  • back and forth G = 0.16 G

I had the car in to my local toyota dealer. It was there for a couple days and they said they could not duplicate the issue (cause its intermittent). Then they gave it to one of their master techs and the issue happened for him before he even got out of the dealer parking lot (issue usually only happens on first start up). he says he did fuel pressure test and found it was ok. he diagnosed it as a "dirty MAF sensor." They cleaned and reinstalled the sensor and charged an hour labor. I picked up the car and it has the same issue still, I couldn't even get home without it happening. I took the car home so I can do a couple checks on it, but probably going to bring it back if I can not determine anything. I was also going to borrow another friend's snapon scan tool in order to drive with the scan tool hooked up in the car and monitor the live data while driving, checking it whenever the issue happens.

This issue has me stumped. I would greatly appreciate any help at all. I tried to give as much detail above as I possibly could in case others are able to interpret it better than I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_183820[1].jpg
Views:	80
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	72084   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_183904[1].jpg
Views:	58
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	72086   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_183934[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	72088   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_184030[1].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	72090   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_184248[1].jpg
Views:	73
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	72092  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough
Re: HELP! 2004 xB Intermittent No Acceletation

How many miles do you have her !! Has the transmission been serviced ?? I do not know where to start as many of our members have moved on !!!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 AM
Crew Chief for Loaned xB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Myopic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Hello, I'm a long time xB fan and owner, though I don't post here often. I really really need some help with an issue I have with my 2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 Automatic Transmission.
Some of the DTC's do not correspond with vehicle drivability. While codes issued, those do not necessarily result in engine power reduction. When you clear the codes do the same ones throw again? The ECM is a common link, and a faulty module can issue codes when a mechanical condition does not exist. After being cleared, the same codes may not be issued. The dealership will check the ECM. Also, the Camshaft Position Sensor can cause the power reduction you describe; again the dealership will check this.

An intermittent problem is one of the most difficult to diagnose, and often is one of the easiest to correct, although the correction can be expensive. You are smart to utilize a Toyota dealership. Be sure they document the technician's three service steps; Condition, Cause, Correction. When a repair does not correct the condition, escalation procedures are available to you. When the issue is finally corrected, you can receive either a direct refund or a credit on the final invoice for any repair and parts which did not correct the condition. Diagnostic time may or may not be credited.

Sorry I cannot provide more specific input. My xB has been flawless for all thirteen years so I have not explored drivability issues with it. Hope the problem turns out to be quickly addressed.
dubeexb06 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Does your code reader have the option to display battery voltage. Abnormal voltage could have an effect on driveability, especially if it's low. Check battery terminals for good connections and also other end of cable connections. There have been a few with loose ground cable connection the was causing issues.
dubeexb06 likes this.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The vehicle just turned over 97k miles, I serviced the transmission myself about 4 years back, I replaced the fluid and the filter, had the pan off and replaced the gasket. nothing catastrophic in the pan at that time.

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 08:44 PM ----------

I will monitor voltage during my next trip, I was chasing grounds earlier but don't know where they all are. I swapped my new Toyota MAF sensor for the original Toyota one (after I cleaned it with some MAF specific cleaner) and the condition is still the same and intermittent, so I have ruled out the MAF. I may be bringing the car back to the dealer soon to escalate the repair as MYOPIC recommended. I do not have a scope, so I am unsure how to rule out the crank and cam sensors, I may just see what their prices are from Toyota, but I hate replacing parts when I haven't done the diagnosis. Also, once I cleared the ABS codes, they did not return. There are no codes of any kind that are being set even when the car does act up, still no codes even when I read the codes before turning the car off, just in case the codes weren't hard codes for some reason and a key cycle may erase them.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well guys, I've figured it out. After spending a few thousand dollars on a trans rebuild that I probably didnt need. I've been rejuvenating my xb a bit... had it in an excellent body shop "RSR" in wyckoff nj known for their vintage porsche restorations. They painted the bumpers and painted my replacement oem hood (old one rusted out on front edge). While it was there i asked about replacing the windshield cause it recently started leaking at the upper corners, noticeable by moisture on headliner. When they remived the windshield they found a significant amount of rust... they cut out and repaired the metal frame and coated it before installing a new windshield. And the issue hasnt occurred since, not even a hint of it. So i assume the lower edge of the windshield was leaking as well and may have been making grounds or engine computer connections moist... this also explains why the intermittent acceleration issue happened more often when it rained or jist after a heavy snow or rain. Just wanted to update the post in case its helpful for others experiencing the same issue.
dubeexb06 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Crew Chief for Loaned xB

Great to read the problem is corrected.

Electric circuits and electronic components can have issues with grounding, bonding, or moisture intrusion which can cause odd electrical occurrences. I cannot second guess something successful; but I am surprised about the windshield cause of the xB's intermittent drivability issue. Of course, your transmission work will help ensure you have many more years of driving the xB. Glad you persevered.

Post some pictures of your new paint when you can.

Frank
post #8 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I believe the water ingress around the windshield causing the drivability issue because the engine and trans electronics and control units are located along the inside of the firewall and under the dash. Below is a picture from just after I brought it back from the body shop. Ive officially put 2x what its worth into it, but I love this car and I wanna keep it on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190410_175724_1563320999327.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	73474  
Myopic and dubeexb06 like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Crew Chief for Loaned xB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
...Below is a picture from just after I brought it back from the body shop. Ive officially put 2x what its worth into it, but I love this car and I wanna keep it on the road.
She is beautiful; that picture should be your new avatar. The EM-7's remain my all time favorites. After fourteen years of ownership, I also have a disparity between the xB's capital outlay and modification costs versus the depreciated residual value. However, its operational expenses mitigate that gap and I share the sentiment for keeping the xB.

Frank
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Glad that you got it fixed and hopefully you will enjoy her for many more years !!! Was that the OEM windshield you replaced ??? Now your xB looks brand new now too !!! AWESOME to show some love to it !!!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The pics are of the car after the front and rear bumpers were painted, the hood was replaced and painted, and the windshield and gasket were replaced with oem parts. I also just replaced the exhaust manifold, again, rust ate through some lower manifold tabs and caused the heat shield to make a super annoying buzzing when at a stop. Now I'm reassembling the cowl cause I managed to snap a cowl drain pan bolt off, so i drilled and tapped it. Never one to leave well enough alone, I'm also treating the plastic cowl trim to some "wipe new" black trim restorer. The EM7's are a favorite of mine as well but sometime I change it up and swap on my chrome toyota bB wheels 🙂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190410_175702_1563333749980.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	73476  
Myopic likes this.

Tags
driving , electrical , engine code , problem , rough idle hesitating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page