6 speed xb, am I the only one? - Page 2 - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 06-01-2019, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TexB is on a distinguished road
Re: 6 speed xb, am I the only one?

I agree. Keeping interest up and letting each other know what we've been able to do with/to our cars is important. I bought my 2006 xB in January 2009 with around 50k on it. Now I'm closing in on 180k, and it's been nothing but good to me. There are things you can do with (and things you can put in) these cars that would be impossible with your average sedan. I once bought a new mattress and box spring and took them home in my xB. I think the guy at the mattress place thought I was crazy when I started putting them in there. It was tight, but they fit. Try that with an Accord or Camry!

Ok, so I'm leaving Saturday to go out of town till next Friday, so if I don't reply, that's why. I'm glad I posted when I did, so that I was able to reply before leaving to those of you who are interested/excited about what I did. Let me know if you have any other questions about it. If you just want to tell me how cool it is that I did this, that's fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 06-09-2019, 09:38 AM

ngfl05 is on a distinguished road

Really interesting read. I might have to look into this in the near future.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

If this was 6 or 7 years ago this could have been huge deal !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM

Biddles is on a distinguished road

How slow is the car in the first few gears? I only ask because I find the xB to be extremely slow even manual, definitely the slowest car I've ever driven, and I can't imagine anything slower, but if the last gear drops the rpms for highway cruising and gets better mpg its not a bad idea.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 01:45 AM

TexB is on a distinguished road

Well, it's definitely slower than my Hellcat, but I'm pretty sure it was already a good bit slower anyway. First gear is the one I really notice a difference in when accelerating. Just the initial takeoff is a little sluggish. Each gear obviously goes a little farther (as far as mph) than it did with the original 5 speed. First gear before seemed almost useless. It was so short that it was basically enough to get the car in motion, and then you shift.

As far as total time to get up to speed in town, it's probably not that much different. Yes, you may accelerate a little more slowly in each gear, but you stay in each gear longer than before. I usually shift around 2500-ish rpms. That puts me at 40mph at the end of third gear. Then I can shift into 4th or 5th to cruise at city speeds. With the original trans I would have had an extra shift in there before reaching 40. So having one fewer shifts makes up some of the time taken up by slightly slower acceleration. Similar case accelerating onto the interstate. With the new trans, rpms in 4th gear are actually slightly lower than in 5th gear with the original. So when I reach my highway cruising speed in 4th gear I shift to 5th as an actual overdrive. I like it.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Our xB's were never made for speed !! That is why the 2nd gen xB's were built a little bigger with a bigger engine !!! Look at it this way as you should get better MPG with this tranny !!!
post #27 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
06xbox is on a distinguished road

Interesting read. I thought the Echo and xB had the same 5-speed manual transmission in them. Upon researching this, I found out that Echos use the C150 transmission whereas the xB uses the C50.

If you look at Wikipedia, you can see the gear ratios for each transmission.

C150
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...nsmission#C150

C50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission#C50

The only difference I see between the two transmissions is the final gear ratio - 3.526 (Echo) vs. 4.31 (xB)

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #28 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Imtoasty is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that the transmission swap just might be the perfect upgrade for those of us who live in high paced cities. I agree that first gear feels like it's just to get the car moving, almost a granny gear. I find myself starting the xB in 2nd gear whenever I can. Thanks you guys for keeping up on this subject, my wife officially hates all of you!

Looks like it's time to start looking for Echo transmissions!

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page