OBX 4-2-1 Header... - Page 3 - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 61 Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Box_Boy will become famous soon enough
Re: OBX 4-2-1 Header...

That may be a possibility in the upcoming future. I have to call the exhaust shop ahead of time to set something up.

"For with out failure, there would be no success."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Well I ordered it today. Should be here by next week and installed with pictures and my review thoughts on it by the weekend.

post #43 of 61 Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM

BigDaddyBry is on a distinguished road

Watching this thread. Interested in the 4-2-1 header as well as the cat-back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM

I will post it on a separate thread.

post #45 of 61 Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Just got the exhaust in today, will have pictures up in another thread that I'll post here if anyone is interested.

post #46 of 61 Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box_Boy View Post
Just got the exhaust in today, will have pictures up in another thread that I'll post here if anyone is interested.
LEt's see it!
post #47 of 61 Old 11-03-2011, 01:18 AM

Miles is on a distinguished road

Hey guys , I was hopping you guys could recommended/ help me decide on a header for my first gen XB? I heard that 4-2-1 is better low/ midrange? and 4-1 is better high range? Also any word on ceramic headers melting the shift linkage? I would also like to get something that I can smog in california? If i get something with tabs to mount the heat shield, the emissions wont be noticeably different right? they just do a visual inspection? Any thoughts and input on all this, as well as brand/ part number recommendations (and explanations) would be greatly appreciated.

I THINK what I'm looking for is a 4-2-1 header with tabs for keeping the heat shield?

Also while i'm thinking of it, I've heard a lot of talk about installing pulleys for performance? what are the risks/ benefits/ recommended brands? I heard talk of balance issues or engine damage?
post #48 of 61 Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 AM

Follow up bump.
post #49 of 61 Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
SUSPNJNKY

Lifex will become famous soon enough Lifex will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lifex Send a message via MSN to Lifex Send a message via Yahoo to Lifex

if you want to add "power adders" to the xB I suggest that you pay close attention to how your car drives now.

a 421 header will give a WEE bit more torque mid-range - so if you have an auto you probably won't notice much of a difference.

don't worry about the heat shield, again, unless you have a manual

you can do a light weight drive pulley but I have never run one and I probably won't ever really run one since A. you can see it B. which means it's a somewhat tedious to get at C. small power gains over all unless you have a manual.

the only pulleys that have problems are the "underdrive" pulleys which are smaller than stock and don't charge the battery as efficiently which can remedied by a 110A alternator but those aren't necessarily available but ours are 90A

Bought with Family, Built with Friends

Thread Killer
"My Girlfriend doesn't wrestle, no, but, you should see her box"
post #50 of 61 Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanx for the info ! Yes it is a MT. Probably not going to run headers or a pulley then.
post #51 of 61 Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough
I noticed, even with an auto, that the OBX added noticable power, which is all I was looking for.
post #52 of 61 Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM

I have the obx 4-1 and the catback system. For the price, it was an actually really nice setup. The sizing is 2.25", and the canister's tip wasn't to bad looking either. I was quite impressed actually.

I chose this route instead of getting a custom pipe made strictly due to the fact that I was relocated in a unknown area for 9 months and I only knew one local shop. He was always pressed for time, so I thought I would just go ahead and spend a the little extra money to try something different.

I did start throwing codes, (I'm not sure exactly what codes yet, b/c I've yet to get the O2 sensor fixed.) However, I did see a very noticeable increase in "power" at higher speeds and RPMS. Also, I had to mod my exhaust outlet so the tip didn't melt my lip. That sounded really dirty actually.

Here are a few pictures of the catback, I will try to add more from when I took pictures from my camera.

Shitty picture of the tip.

Midpipe-->Axle Back portion

Little comparison

post #53 of 61 Old 06-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Government Approved

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
RyanR is on a distinguished road

Necro-bump to keep info in the same place:

Does anyone have any long term feedback on the SS headers without a heat shield or header wrap? I'm concerned about the surrounding area. Our cars run pretty cool in general, but I do a lot of long trips with the xB

-RyanR
post #54 of 61 Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Toaster2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Necro-bump to keep info in the same place:

Does anyone have any long term feedback on the SS headers without a heat shield or header wrap? I'm concerned about the surrounding area. Our cars run pretty cool in general, but I do a lot of long trips with the xB
Following. I am installing an OBX 4-2-1 this week. I think we are good if you have an automatic. It is the shift cables on the manuals that are an issue.
post #55 of 61 Old 06-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
SuperchargedMR2 is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster2015 View Post
Following. I am installing an OBX 4-2-1 this week. I think we are good if you have an automatic. It is the shift cables on the manuals that are an issue.
I'll have to check that out. I have a MT and I ordered a set of 4-2-1 headers that I need to install. I just haven't had the time to get it done. Hopefully in the next few weeks. I did build a cover over my RV pad where I park my xB and Previa so now they will be out of the sun and rain!

In the process of painting it to match the house!

89 Supercharged MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S Turbo 5MT/95 Previa SC/06 Scion xB 5MT/10 Prius III
17 Corolla iM 6MT/17 RAV4 XLE AWD
post #56 of 61 Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Government Approved

Quick Update after the install and about 1500 miles:

Low end power has definitely improved. The engine feels smoother and more happy to accelerate. MPG feels more consistent and since I did the cat-converter too, it sees 33mpg-highway without the roof rack on again.

I did manage to find a used heat shield (mine rusted off long ago...), so I installed that with some new stainless steel fasteners. I think it's an M8 screw size... it's been several weeks now. There definitely is a large concern for the shifter cables: they do touch the header at the bottom, so it is HIGHLY recommended that you protect them somehow.

-RyanR
post #57 of 61 Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM
see you in surgery

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
bunghole is on a distinguished road
Garage

Will this help the shift cables https://www.clubxb.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1468945531
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-07-19-09-20-00.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	61818  

[SIGPIC]
post #58 of 61 Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

I've recently installed a 4-2-1 header. Have you noticed a decrease in MPG? Also I don't feel any difference between the stock header and this header. Where should I "feel" the difference while driving? My speedometer is off by 1 MPH because I'm running 16x7 wheels wrapped in 205/50/16 tires. My wheels weigh 15 pounds. I try to keep my RPM level at 3 which is about 71 to 72 MPH however at times I travel at 80 or 80 MPH (which keeps my RPM meter at 3.5). I understand anything over 55 MPH will affect mileage, however I get at least 300 mpg or a little over when I mix it up between 70 and 81.
post #59 of 61 Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Government Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
I've recently installed a 4-2-1 header. Have you noticed a decrease in MPG? Also I don't feel any difference between the stock header and this header. Where should I "feel" the difference while driving? My speedometer is off by 1 MPH because I'm running 16x7 wheels wrapped in 205/50/16 tires. My wheels weigh 15 pounds. I try to keep my RPM level at 3 which is about 71 to 72 MPH however at times I travel at 80 or 80 MPH (which keeps my RPM meter at 3.5). I understand anything over 55 MPH will affect mileage, however I get at least 300 mpg or a little over when I mix it up between 70 and 81.
I think my mpg has stayed roughly the same.

I am assuming you have an auto, since I know that with my MT, 80mph is 4000rpm, and 70 is 3500. I typically cruise the highway at 70mph because of that; it's a good balance.

Regardless, you should feel the difference between 2500 and 4500. The MAX power will NOT go up, but rather, the torque and power will increase across the RPM range. Our power curves are fairly linear, which is bad in lower rpms. So ANY increase from say 40hp at 2k (where your rpms are typically, around town) will be noticeable! Keep in mind, our engines do not make max power until about 6k, near red-line.

I would attribute your mpg reduction from the 205 width tires.

-RyanR
post #60 of 61 Old 09-14-2016, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

That is correct, I do have a automatic. I will pay attention between 2500 and 4500. The header was installed the day before yesterday. Do any of you notice a "tick" or "put" sound when accelerating? It can go unnoticed if not paying attention. Its hard to describe in words exactly the sound but I never heard it with the stock header (which I believe is a 4-1). Think of a harley davidson motorcycle quickly accelerating and the loud sound from the exhaust as it begins to accelerate, only not so loud, similar to a backfire but not as harsh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page