The Intake Thread - Page 24 - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 474 Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
SuperchargedMR2 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: The Intake Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilBOXevil View Post
Good call. It might be easier just to unclamp the whole intake and then undo the filter separately. I always use the K&N filters, so I don't need to change it so much (I do more than they say you need to), but this is a good idea. Just unclamp the whole thing and pull it forward rather than just the filter. Then you don't need to unbutton the front bumper and you can check the throttle body and inside the intake too. Nice.

---------- Post added 03-14-2016 at 09:54 PM ----------

By the way, with my Injen SRI, my favorite filter is the K&N RX-4860. It is the best. It'll fit any 2.5" diameter intake.
Link here: K&N RX-4860 Universal X-Stream Clamp-On, Universal Air Filters
It's like the normal filter, but add the extra filtration/breather on top. Since these last forever and can be cleaned and reused, it's worth the money to me to buy it.
If you have an intake with a different flange diameter, just search K&N for that size and look for the "RX" prefix filters. Great stuff.
I'll never use a K&N filter again. I had one mess up sensors on my 89 Supercharged MR2 several years ago and was expensive to fix. From now on I'll always stay with dry filters. Do you have the same Injen as the one I linked?

89 Supercharged MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S Turbo 5MT/95 Previa SC/06 Scion xB 5MT/10 Prius III
17 Corolla iM 6MT/17 RAV4 XLE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 474 Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Hey Supercharged MR2,

I have the Injen SRI. It was on of the first mods I did with my box. I have been very happy and pleased. I have been running it now for almost 3 years. I noticed the link for the Injen SRI you posted on Amazon is model IS2105P whereas I have model IS2100P. The difference being the one you posted is twisted whereas mine is straight. I don't know if one is better than the other. Maybe someone can chime in and describe the differences if any other than aesthetics.

On a side note, how often should one be cleaning the air filter? And can you wash the filter with regular soap and water and then air dry?
post #463 of 474 Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
xB2 driver is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Hey Supercharged MR2,

I have the Injen SRI. It was on of the first mods I did with my box. I have been very happy and pleased. I have been running it now for almost 3 years. I noticed the link for the Injen SRI you posted on Amazon is model IS2105P whereas I have model IS2100P. The difference being the one you posted is twisted whereas mine is straight. I don't know if one is better than the other. Maybe someone can chime in and describe the differences if any other than aesthetics.

On a side note, how often should one be cleaning the air filter? And can you wash the filter with regular soap and water and then air dry?
I had the straight Injen intake on my old xB, it made more sense getting air from behind the headlight. The other model has some major bends and filter sits next to the exhaust manifold.

I wash my filters whenever they look dirty or every year. Do you have a oiled filter? I would just get the cleaning kit from Injen or K&N. They both come with soap and oil.

2013 xB - 10 series #67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #464 of 474 Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xB2 driver View Post
I had the straight Injen intake on my old xB, it made more sense getting air from behind the headlight. The other model has some major bends and filter sits next to the exhaust manifold.

I wash my filters whenever they look dirty or every year. Do you have a oiled filter? I would just get the cleaning kit from Injen or K&N. They both come with soap and oil.
I bought a DC Sports SRI for my xB. Right after that I also went to a Toyotas Dealer and ordered a TRD exhaust. After that I ordered a Weapon-R header for it! I can't wait to get them installed!
evilBOXevil likes this.

89 Supercharged MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S Turbo 5MT/95 Previa SC/06 Scion xB 5MT/10 Prius III
post #465 of 474 Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
rton20s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I bought a DC Sports SRI for my xB. Right after that I also went to a Toyotas Dealer and ordered a TRD exhaust. After that I ordered a Weapon-R header for it! I can't wait to get them installed!
Should have bought one of my two cat-backs.
post #466 of 474 Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Should have bought one of my two cat-backs.
I bought it brand new for $175 so I thought that was a fantastic deal!

post #467 of 474 Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm going to get the Weapon R 4-2-1 header and undecided about exhaust. I was thinking either Strup, Tanabe Medallion, or the TRD Exhaust. If you could post videos of sound that would be great. By the way, where did you order the header from? $175 is a great deal for the exhaust!
post #468 of 474 Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm going to get the Weapon R 4-2-1 header and undecided about exhaust. I was thinking either Strup, Tanabe Medallion, or the TRD Exhaust. If you could post videos of sound that would be great. By the way, where did you order the header from? $175 is a great deal for the exhaust!
I bought the Weapon R 4-2-1 header to as I wanted to help the low to midrange power. I ordered the TRD exhaust from a dealer. It's discontinued and there were only 7 of them nationwide but it had a great price on it! There should only be 6 left now! :lol:

post #469 of 474 Old 10-10-2016, 04:26 PM
see you in surgery

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
bunghole is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilBOXevil View Post
I have the Injen SRI. It works fine, even though mine has the hose on the bad side of the MAF sensor. I've had it on the box for about 9 years with no issues. I did have a Greddy catch can in between for a while, but removed it. It looked pretty, but I don't think the catch can really caught much.
I'm satisfied with the Injen shorty, but any of them will work fine. You can even DIY one as long as you get a MAF sensor holder. One is probably as good as another. Maybe price should be the deciding factor.
Anything will work better than the stock airbox. And the SRI always sounds really nice. Lots of whirring and air sucking sounds. Do they really add power? ...or at least noticable power? Maybe a little more than some window stickers do on a 90 HP engine. But knowing that the engine breathes better and sounds cool makes the butt dyno add at least +5 HP.
I did have the longer Injen CAI that wraps around, but I replaced my radiator with a Koyo aluminum which is thicker than the stock rad, and now the SRI is the only thing that will fit on my car without rubbing on the coolant reservoir. I like the look of the longer wrap around CAI, and it's a lot easier to change the filter, but it won't fit on my box anymore, and I was always paranoid about water getting in since the filter hangs lower.

Wrap around CAI=can change filter by jacking up the car and going underneath.
Standard SRI=removing front bumper to change the filter.

I may go with the AFE one soon that goes on top, but I think this is going to pull much warmer air than the Injen, DC sports, etc,. Still much easier to see the condition of your filter and to change it.

I have the same Koyo radiator with a Mishemoto shroud and was wondering if a Aem intake fit that type of radiator,or have fog light issues ?

[SIGPIC]
post #470 of 474 Old 04-17-2017, 01:00 AM

Garage

Well I've had my parts for a year now and it seems like I've always got so much going on I never got around to installing my DC Sports SRI. I finally did it yesterday as well as my TRD exhaust. I still have the headers to install but 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
It looks and sounds much better now!
TRD vs OEM exhaust.

Installed.....

OEM air filter box.....

The DC SRI filter is behind the LF headlight and draws in cool air and frees up a lot of space from where the OEM filer box was.

[email protected] likes this.

post #471 of 474 Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 PM
biscuits and gravy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Cfetchcaviar is on a distinguished road
Garage

TRD exhaust looks great! really looking forward to building mine similarly.

"The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted"
-T. Harris
post #472 of 474 Old 02-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
98 SNAKE EATER is on a distinguished road

The previous owner of my XB beater installed a Weapon R intake and it has been throwing a random lean code for the past few weeks.
Did a spray test and it appears to have a vacuum leak at the intake ports.
Just curious, but do the Weapon R intakes use a special gasket or will the OEM gasket work?
Would like to know for sure before tearing it down.
post #473 of 474 Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
stephelong@sbcglobal.net is on a distinguished road

With the DC sports SRI I had a problem of water getting in through the fog light area. I would suggest a Hydro filter to go over the air filter just in case. Injen Hydro shield number 1033red (i ordered the red one) fit the DC air filter almost perfectly. (the Injen filter is more square at the top than the DC. Have driven it in heavy rain with no problems since. Maybe just mine but makes for good insurance. I found mine online for like $15-$20.
post #474 of 474 Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biddles is on a distinguished road

I'm just getting used to my car but I'm having trouble knowing when to shift because the car is soooo damn quiet that I don't really hear it until I'm at around 3500K RPMs, and I'd prefer to shift around 2800. So I'm thinking of getting an intake, but I generally frown at the idea. It's really just for more sound at least for me, I don't believe better MPG's or anything of that nature, in fact I've read people losing MPG's with aftermarket intakes. So with that said what intake would you guys recommend for me?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page