The Intake Thread - Page 23 - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #441 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 05:35 PM
JokerBox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
EnviouslyGreenxB is on a distinguished road
Re: The Intake Thread

^ I should've just emailed you LOL I've been debating the Apexi Power Intake or the Apexi drop in which is a dry filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
rton20s is on a distinguished road

The Apexi Power Intake Kit appears to be for the Echo only, not the xB. The drop in filter, well, is a drop in filter.

I still think the DC short ram is the best bang for the buck right now.
post #443 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
JokerBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
The Apexi Power Intake Kit appears to be for the Echo only, not the xB. The drop in filter, well, is a drop in filter.

I still think the DC short ram is the best bang for the buck right now.
I haven't seen it listed for the Echo. I've only ever seen it for the xA/xB.

Apex'i Power Air Intake: Scion xA / xB 2004 - 2006

"In a world of innormality, what is normality."
The best medicine is Slaughter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #444 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 PM

I knew that was where you were going to link to. Check the actual Apexi page.

Power Intake Kit, 2004-2013 Toyota Echo Hatchback (Canada Market Only) - Power Intake Kit - Power Intake - Induction
post #445 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 PM
JokerBox

Only linked there because ebay gets me shunned alot. LOL but none the less doesn't the Echo have the same engine and the way that would hook up should all be the same.

post #446 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 PM

What you have in the Apexi setup appears to be an adapter pipe to attache the MAF and a cone filter as close as possible to the throttle body. It does not come with the silicone coupler required to connect to the throttle body. There is also no accommodation for the breather hose. I'm also not sure how the strut braces are attached to the intake, or the car.

You might be able to get that unit to work. However, I would say it is more risky than selecting an option that has been designed as a complete replacement for the factory intake system.
post #447 of 474 Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM
JokerBox

http://site.customcarscentral.com/images/APE508T027.jpg

It attaches to the existing intake hose. Basically replacing the air box much like the Blitz intake.

post #448 of 474 Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Ah, so it is like the old Blitz SUS intake. That system got some mixed reviews. And keep in mind, people want to be positive about a product that they spent their money on. There were claims by some that they even lost HP on the dyno with the Blitz system. Others claimed that they got increased mileage due to the "warm air intake," but acknowledged it was at the sacrifice of power.

I would imagine that the Apexi would see very similar results.
post #449 of 474 Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
JokerBox

Quote:
Ah, so it is like the old Blitz SUS intake. That system got some mixed reviews. And keep in mind, people want to be positive about a product that they spent their money on. There were claims by some that they even lost HP on the dyno with the Blitz system. Others claimed that they got increased mileage due to the "warm air intake," but acknowledged it was at the sacrifice of power.

I would imagine that the Apexi would see very similar results.
Ah very interesting. Well loss of power isn't good at all. Hhhmmm

---------- Post added 10-08-2014 at 01:43 PM ----------

Didn't DTRAIN619 have one at one time. Wonder if he can some input on this.
post #450 of 474 Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM

He did, I believe.
post #451 of 474 Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Digidizzle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Digidizzle

I'm running the SUS intake right now. After adding my header, there is even more heat in the engine bay. I'm gonna change mine out and get the filter away from the motor. Especially since adding my supercharger.

On that note, is anyone running the TRD PTR03-52050 CAI? I'm wondering what the difference is between the PTR03-52060 that has been discontinued. I can't find any pictures of it. Not sure if they are the same.
post #452 of 474 Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
tOasTerOnWhEeLs is on a distinguished road

The TRD intakes are basically the same. The PTR03-52050 is for 2004-05 and is emissions legal. The PTR03-52060 was for 2006 and not emissions legal. I bought the PTR03-52060 in my 2005 because it was less expensive. I would just have to remove it when it comes time for smog testing.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidizzle View Post
I'm running the SUS intake right now. After adding my header, there is even more heat in the engine bay. I'm gonna change mine out and get the filter away from the motor. Especially since adding my supercharger.

On that note, is anyone running the TRD PTR03-52050 CAI? I'm wondering what the difference is between the PTR03-52060 that has been discontinued. I can't find any pictures of it. Not sure if they are the same.
As I said above, the intakes are the same. just not CARB legal for the 2006 version. I bought mine from TRDSource.com. It does not say anything about the PTR03-52060 being discontinued.
Cold Air Intake PTR03-52060
post #453 of 474 Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Digidizzle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Digidizzle

Thanks for the info! I asked a couple websites that have the 2006 listed and they have replied it's discontinued even though it's on their site. Even the emission legal version is still cheaper than an AEM. So if I can't score an 06 version, i'll get the emission legal one.
post #454 of 474 Old 03-12-2016, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
SuperchargedMR2 is on a distinguished road
Garage

SO I've narrowed it down to 2 SRI intakes choices.

1. Injen Technology IS2105P Polished Short Ram Intake System

2. DC Sports SRI4401 Polished Short Ram Intake System

Any thoughts? Some of the reviews on the DC complained about it not fitting well. Any problems form anyone here? The Injen seems to be a nice SRI but it costs twice as much. They both have the hose intake downstream of the sensor.

---------- Post added 03-12-2016 at 06:06 AM ----------

---------- Post added 03-12-2016 at 06:09 AM ----------

The above link didn't work so this is the link for the Injen.

89 Supercharged MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S Turbo 5MT/95 Previa SC/06 Scion xB 5MT/10 Prius III
17 Corolla iM 6MT/17 RAV4 XLE AWD
post #455 of 474 Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Of those two, I would go with the DC. Closest in design to the discontinued Fujita F5.
SuperchargedMR2 likes this.
post #456 of 474 Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 AM

Garage

Quote:
Of those two, I would go with the DC. Closest in design to the discontinued Fujita F5.
Thanks, anyone else have any opinions or used either of these intakes?

89 Supercharged MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S Turbo 5MT/95 Previa SC/06 Scion xB 5MT/10 Prius III
post #457 of 474 Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
evilBOXevil is on a distinguished road

I have the Injen SRI. It works fine, even though mine has the hose on the bad side of the MAF sensor. I've had it on the box for about 9 years with no issues. I did have a Greddy catch can in between for a while, but removed it. It looked pretty, but I don't think the catch can really caught much.
I'm satisfied with the Injen shorty, but any of them will work fine. You can even DIY one as long as you get a MAF sensor holder. One is probably as good as another. Maybe price should be the deciding factor.
Anything will work better than the stock airbox. And the SRI always sounds really nice. Lots of whirring and air sucking sounds. Do they really add power? ...or at least noticable power? Maybe a little more than some window stickers do on a 90 HP engine. But knowing that the engine breathes better and sounds cool makes the butt dyno add at least +5 HP.
I did have the longer Injen CAI that wraps around, but I replaced my radiator with a Koyo aluminum which is thicker than the stock rad, and now the SRI is the only thing that will fit on my car without rubbing on the coolant reservoir. I like the look of the longer wrap around CAI, and it's a lot easier to change the filter, but it won't fit on my box anymore, and I was always paranoid about water getting in since the filter hangs lower.

Wrap around CAI=can change filter by jacking up the car and going underneath.
Standard SRI=removing front bumper to change the filter.

I may go with the AFE one soon that goes on top, but I think this is going to pull much warmer air than the Injen, DC sports, etc,. Still much easier to see the condition of your filter and to change it.
post #458 of 474 Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilBOXevil View Post
I have the Injen SRI. It works fine, even though mine has the hose on the bad side of the MAF sensor. I've had it on the box for about 9 years with no issues. I did have a Greddy catch can in between for a while, but removed it. It looked pretty, but I don't think the catch can really caught much.
I'm satisfied with the Injen shorty, but any of them will work fine. You can even DIY one as long as you get a MAF sensor holder. One is probably as good as another. Maybe price should be the deciding factor.
Anything will work better than the stock airbox. And the SRI always sounds really nice. Lots of whirring and air sucking sounds. Do they really add power? ...or at least noticable power? Maybe a little more than some window stickers do on a 90 HP engine. But knowing that the engine breathes better and sounds cool makes the butt dyno add at least +5 HP.
I did have the longer Injen CAI that wraps around, but I replaced my radiator with a Koyo aluminum which is thicker than the stock rad, and now the SRI is the only thing that will fit on my car without rubbing on the coolant reservoir. I like the look of the longer wrap around CAI, and it's a lot easier to change the filter, but it won't fit on my box anymore, and I was always paranoid about water getting in since the filter hangs lower.

Wrap around CAI=can change filter by jacking up the car and going underneath.
Standard SRI=removing front bumper to change the filter.

I may go with the AFE one soon that goes on top, but I think this is going to pull much warmer air than the Injen, DC sports, etc,. Still much easier to see the condition of your filter and to change it.
So to change the air filter on the DC SRI the front bumper has to be removed? The Injen wraps up and over and the filter is in the 10 o'clock position to the battery so that should be easy to change/clean too.

post #459 of 474 Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
So to change the air filter on the DC SRI the front bumper has to be removed? The Injen wraps up and over and the filter is in the 10 o'clock position to the battery so that should be easy to change/clean too.
I know that there was a lot of talk about "heat soak" with intakes like the Injen you linked to when they first were released for the xB. But really, I think it was just that... talk.

With my Fujita F5, whenever I serviced my filter, I would just disconnect the whole intake and pull the filter off rather than partially removing the bumper. Certainly more work than just taking off the filter with the Injen style intake, but I always took the opportunity to inspect the intake, MAF and throttle body.
post #460 of 474 Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
evilBOXevil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know that there was a lot of talk about "heat soak" with intakes like the Injen you linked to when they first were released for the xB. But really, I think it was just that... talk.

With my Fujita F5, whenever I serviced my filter, I would just disconnect the whole intake and pull the filter off rather than partially removing the bumper. Certainly more work than just taking off the filter with the Injen style intake, but I always took the opportunity to inspect the intake, MAF and throttle body.
Good call. It might be easier just to unclamp the whole intake and then undo the filter separately. I always use the K&N filters, so I don't need to change it so much (I do more than they say you need to), but this is a good idea. Just unclamp the whole thing and pull it forward rather than just the filter. Then you don't need to unbutton the front bumper and you can check the throttle body and inside the intake too. Nice.

---------- Post added 03-14-2016 at 09:54 PM ----------

By the way, with my Injen SRI, my favorite filter is the K&N RX-4860. It is the best. It'll fit any 2.5" diameter intake.
Link here: K&N RX-4860 Universal X-Stream Clamp-On, Universal Air Filters
It's like the normal filter, but add the extra filtration/breather on top. Since these last forever and can be cleaned and reused, it's worth the money to me to buy it.
If you have an intake with a different flange diameter, just search K&N for that size and look for the "RX" prefix filters. Great stuff.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page