Subs in hatch door? - Scion xB Forum
Scion xB Audio, Video, & Security Scion xB in car entertainment (aka Scion xB I.C.E.). With all the room available the sky is the limit when adding Scion xB car audio and video. While you're tinkering with the Scion xB electrical system why not install a Scion xB security system.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1.8TTony

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
PapaJ is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Subs in hatch door?

Has anyone put any subs in the rear hatch? Seems like the perfect place to me, but not yet willing to take the door off to build a fiberglass enclosure. I live in NJ, and don't have a garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road
Re: Subs in hatch door?

That would be a great idea.

But based on my own rear hatch, closing it the first time will shatter the working parts of the subwoofer! I feel like that happens with my own eardrums.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
1.8TTony is on a distinguished road
Garage

This would look pretty nice........I'm not really into customizing my own cars, but me and my brothers rebuild 1968-1972 Chevelle's.......approximately 5 or 6 of them a year, so I understand the attitude and pride of a build-job-done-well and the satisfaction of knowing you've created something unique. I personally wouldn't use the rear hatch door cavity as a subwoofer enclosure for a few reasons:

#1 ,) The direction that the subs sound wave travels........point a sub box sub forward, the sound wave travels forward. Yeah, you got bass, but face that sub box backwards and you instantly have more intense bass.

The weight of the subs and the material used to reinforce the door cavity may be too much added weight for the factory door lift shocks to hold the door in it's raised position. Simple fix......

Just add stronger door lift shocks.......but those stronger door lift shocks may (over time) fatigue the door metal where the fasteners are attached resulting in 'ripped' sheet metal where the most stress (fatigue) is created.

Connecting the subs.........how are you gonna cleanly run the subs wires through the factory wire harness loom? Sounds simple to do.... just poke it through and connect it, but there are always blind obstacles and impossible curves/angles which the wires gotta get around.

What I would do....if I were you and sound quality is more important than appearance, I would remove the spare tire and foam storage box, then construct a fiberglass bottom (because the bottom of the xB is an odd shape, then cut a wood front for the speaker box, then a wood back for the speaker box, and finally, wood sides and a wood top. Basically, create a shallow box which looks like the spare tire/storage box floor......Mount one small 8 inch L7 square sub on each side.....your original floor level will almost ne the same, but you'd have no spare tire or storage box......not a prob if you only drive your box intown........get a flat tire, call Triple A for a fix or your nearest buddy to bring you the spare.
DickInABox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8TTony View Post
This would look pretty nice........I'm not really into customizing my own cars, but me and my brothers rebuild 1968-1972 Chevelle's.......approximately 5 or 6 of them a year, so I understand the attitude and pride of a build-job-done-well and the satisfaction of knowing you've created something unique. I personally wouldn't use the rear hatch door cavity as a subwoofer enclosure for a few reasons:

#1 ,) The direction that the subs sound wave travels........point a sub box sub forward, the sound wave travels forward. Yeah, you got bass, but face that sub box backwards and you instantly have more intense bass.

The weight of the subs and the material used to reinforce the door cavity may be too much added weight for the factory door lift shocks to hold the door in it's raised position. Simple fix......

Just add stronger door lift shocks.......but those stronger door lift shocks may (over time) fatigue the door metal where the fasteners are attached resulting in 'ripped' sheet metal where the most stress (fatigue) is created.

Connecting the subs.........how are you gonna cleanly run the subs wires through the factory wire harness loom? Sounds simple to do.... just poke it through and connect it, but there are always blind obstacles and impossible curves/angles which the wires gotta get around.

What I would do....if I were you and sound quality is more important than appearance, I would remove the spare tire and foam storage box, then construct a fiberglass bottom (because the bottom of the xB is an odd shape, then cut a wood front for the speaker box, then a wood back for the speaker box, and finally, wood sides and a wood top. Basically, create a shallow box which looks like the spare tire/storage box floor......Mount one small 8 inch L7 square sub on each side.....your original floor level will almost ne the same, but you'd have no spare tire or storage box......not a prob if you only drive your box intown........get a flat tire, call Triple A for a fix or your nearest buddy to bring you the spare.
I have considered this option, but this is my primary vehicle, I have had it maybe a month and already gone over 3000 miles, including interstate. I'm not willing to give up my spare, or any cargo space, as I used the xB as a station wagon/work truck. Seems my best option given what I want to do is an under seat shallow mount sub. I need to find someone with one I can hear before I go that route though.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage

Kicker makes a "powered subwoofer box" which is pretty small......would probably fit underneath the front passenger seat.......it has a 6.5 inch sub in it, when that sub hits, it moves an 8 inch woofer cone (which is what actually produces the bass). I don't know how much bass you need, but it might work for you. I used to have one of these in a Jeep Wrangler that I used to drive. Sounded OK with the Jeep hardtop on, nothing spectacular, and with the hardtop off, it was like the sub wasn't even there.........

Could probably fit 3 Pioneer shallow mount subs in the rear hatch door cavity of the xB. I had 4 of those shallow mount subs in the rear tailgate of my wife's Suburban. Hardest part was building the box so that the tailgate handle would still be functional. I built the speaker box out of wood (no fiberglass)......the sealed enclosure specs for those subs is so small I triple checked every cut I made when I built the box.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Kicker makes a "powered subwoofer box" which is pretty small......would probably fit underneath the front passenger seat.......it has a 6.5 inch sub in it, when that sub hits, it moves an 8 inch woofer cone (which is what actually produces the bass). I don't know how much bass you need, but it might work for you. I used to have one of these in a Jeep Wrangler that I used to drive. Sounded OK with the Jeep hardtop on, nothing spectacular, and with the hardtop off, it was like the sub wasn't even there.........

Could probably fit 3 Pioneer shallow mount subs in the rear hatch door cavity of the xB. I had 4 of those shallow mount subs in the rear tailgate of my wife's Suburban. Hardest part was building the box so that the tailgate handle would still be functional. I built the speaker box out of wood (no fiberglass)......the sealed enclosure specs for those subs is so small I triple checked every cut I made when I built the box.
Upon further research, the design of the inner door skin doesn't lend itself well to this idea. If I was competing like I did 20 years ago, I'd probably do it. But the cost to do it right would be very high. I'll be looking for alternate methods. Maybe I'll run to the local install shop after next week and get suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB08BMCFT_Scion_xB_04.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	64106  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage

Mount it on the dashboard. haha

Actually, the hatch door might still be possible. Cut away some of the inner structure on the drivers side of it......build your box......epoxy it into position and then epoxy the sheet metal to the subwoofer box.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mount it on the dashboard. haha

Actually, the hatch door might still be possible. Cut away some of the inner structure on the drivers side of it......build your box......epoxy it into position and then epoxy the sheet metal to the subwoofer box.
Totally going with the dashboard route. I don't need a passenger airbag anyway.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Bock's Car

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
DickInABox is on a distinguished road

I have a box under my seat it's plenty good for my DD. I've seen someone put a shallow 12 in there as well. You could also put subs in the rear most side windows.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickInABox View Post
I have a box under my seat it's plenty good for my DD. I've seen someone put a shallow 12 in there as well. You could also put subs in the rear most side windows.

I've seen that rear window thing. Looks cool, but I'll be 42 Monday, I want a hidden system. Still use the xB as a wagon/truck.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Bock's Car

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
DickInABox is on a distinguished road

Under your seat would be your only real option then. You may be able to build a shelf in the rear hatch area and put them there. Turn the entire back into one big box and still e it for storage.

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 02:18 PM ----------

Kind of like this but mint the subs in it. Not sure what you'd have to do to make the sound quality good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page