Scion xB Forum banner

Thinking of installing a Viper remote start alarm system.

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Aerosys 
#1 ·
As stated in the title, I'd like to tackle installing a remote start system myself. I'm a DIYer, but I have enough sense to research what I plan to tackle to ensure myself it's a possible task for me. I've done hours of research on first time installers and their experiences and how it went for them. Most of them say that it wasn't that it was necessarily difficult, but rather time consuming. I've installed stereos, amps, re-ran wire throughout a car for different things etc. so I better understand the wiring to my car than just someone who's never taken a door panel off before. I have my XB and my truck, so having the XB parked and out of commission for a weekend or heck, even a week, isn't an issue. I've watched many installations videos (not to necessarily help with the install, but again to see what I'm getting myself into) and it seems that if you take your time and test like you should, the install is rather straight forward with a bump or two in the road I'm sure (nothing a little troubleshooting can't solve).

So I guess in the end, I'm asking for any tips or I guess, words of encouragment from other first time installers before I tackle this. Haha :D

TL:DR I want to install the viper remote start/alarm by myself and was looking for any tips or shared experiences from other first time installers.

Remote start I'd like to install: Viper 5806V 2-Way LED Car Alarm Security System and Remote Start

See less See more
#4 ·
Okay that good...one less NOPE to worry about. Now I am going to strongly recommend these models instead:

2 way: avital 5303L or Python 5303P
1 way: avital 5103L or Python 5103P

They are the same units with the exception of a single 2 way transmitter which allows for confirmation of commands. And both are proven legacy products. The newer 5xxx series are a nightmare in the hands of an experienced installer...let alone a DIYer.

If you really want to know how tough your car is...short answer for me ( approaching 30 years experience) from start to functional ( car still has not been reassembled or final placements made-but all options work): 1.5 - 2 hours. I don't know your skill set or what tools you have at your disposal..just look at it this way: approach this like you would a loaded gun: in the wrong hands it can be tragic..so it demands the utmost respect. I'm not trying to scare you ...just giving you the true aspect of what you are trying to do. You send the wrong voltage to the wrong wire and it can cost you greatly.

If you or anyone are up to the task I will do all I can within reason to offer assistance.

#6 ·
I installed a similar Viper remote start/alarm in my 05 XB, it wasn't too hard. I used this site for reference Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers, it has a lot of information on car alarms. Mine was a manual so I had to wire the emergency brakes and a relay for the clutch switch. Most of the wiring will be under the steering wheel, so you will need to take the panels off.

#7 ·
Sorry for the delayed responses guys, been pretty busy these past months, but I really appreciate the feedback and positive support. I'll definitely go ahead and order the 2-way you ordered audioroach. That's just fine for what I need. I'll keep you guys updated and will certainly be on here if I have any questions. Haha, thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.