Scion xB Forum banner

Remote Starter - Should I Do it MYSELF???

20K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  peterletran 
#1 ·
Remote starter

Its starting to get cold and I wanted to get a jump on installing a remote starter/alarm system. Has anybody done a DIY on this or have any links of step-by-step install? Any help would be great

#6 ·
Got a quote for $440 (installed) for a Auto page C3-RS730 remote starter.

C3-RS730 LCD - 2-Way Communications - AutoPage

If i were to buy one on my own, i would probably shop around for viper of DEI or something. I would probably get an alarm too.

I found that I could by it new for under $150. That means $300 in labor.
So I am considering the DIY approach. After some research, i found some DIYs for other vehicles, none for an xb.

It looks pretty straight forward, but I'm still a little nervous about trying it myself. It looks like i just need to tap an ignition wire, unlock/lock, and relay the clutch switch.

Here are some parameters to consider:

Time: I can dedicate one staight 7-8 hour day to finish. Longer if i can drive the car without finishing it in one shot

My skills: never installed a remote starter. But ive done stereo/amp/subs stuff and pulled and dropped a few engines. I am a year away from a bachelors in mechanical engineering, but struggled in my electrical engineering lab :(

So, should I do it myself???
Has anybody done this on a 1st gen? Pics? Wiring Diagrams?

I drive 2006 Xb manual.

Here is some stuff i found in my research:
2009 Toyota Corolla Remote Start Vehicle Prep Installer Central

Viper (DEI) 5701 Remote Start DIY -

I'm hoping toyota stays consistent with their wiring

#12 ·
Ha, I'm from Minnesota. Its getting cold. Don't like starting it and leaving the keys in there, I live in the city right now. What are you doing with remote start in FL anyway!!
Anyway, I found this clutch pedal bypass DIY online somewhere. Is this how you would usually do it?

if youre adding remote start to an xB you will obviously have to bypass the clutch so it will start. The advantage to wiring it this way is that if you ever give someone your keys to take your car for any reason, they still have to push in the clutch to start the car. This is how Ive wired it in my xB.

You will need a Bosch style relay (SPDT) and some extra wire/connectors to wire this to your remote start.

The clutch switch has two wires leading to it and is located near the bottom of the clutch pedal assembly. When the pinswitch is depressed, the two wires create a circuit that sends a signal to the starter to start the car. What you have to do is "fool" the car into thinking that the pedal is down and complete the circuit.

Wiring:
Terminal ----> Where the wire goes
86 ------> constant 12v = battery
85 ------> ground wire from remote start while its engaged. On DEI systems this wire is usually reffered to as the status output wire.
30 ------> one of the two clutch switch wires
87 ------> the other clutch switch wire

Do not cut off the clutch switch, simply tap the wires from 30 and 87 onto them and solder them into place. Now when the remote start is activated it will complete the circuit and start the car. When starting the car with the key you will still have to push in the clutch to start it.

note- I tried just pulsing ground to one side of the switch and it quickly blew a fuse under the hood. this is why I wired it this way.

dont want to fry the ECU somehow. i can fix my roof, but not afford a ECU. both of my xBs have auto start...all i care about..lmao
So that's what I'm up against... Hmmm... still contemplating... Cause if i learn how to do it, i can do it over and over. I Need a Ginnie Pig car.

#14 ·
Re: Remote starter

Code-Alarm makes some good stuff as well.. Viper/Python/Avital are good pieces but the prices keep going up up UP UP.. Code is pretty much all we install anymore.. lifetime warranty even on the remotes. Some of the DEI stuff has Lifetime warranty (not on remotes) but the lifetime warranty is only good for the first year, after that it's 40 bux for a rebuilt unit..
As for the install.. not that hard, if you've never done one.. be careful or let an experienced installer do it..I've been doing it for over 14 yrs and wouldn't wish some of these cars on anyone.. but the xB's arent that bad.

#15 ·
Re: Remote starter

..as i told some one else on here, ill cut the roof off my car, but wont wire in a auto start, both of my xBs have an auto start....i had a freind do it that did it for a living. i didnt want to take the risk of frying some wiring of my ECU...let a installer do that...cause they do it from time to time.

#20 ·
I agree, shouldnt be too hard. I just finished wiring a clifford alarm into the XB with immobilizer, and have done remote starters on other cars... The only thing I found interesting with the XB is a lot of the electronics is ground/negative switched, so if your alarm or remote starter is expecting to use a positive output to trigger something, you will need to wire in a relay to change the polarity (which are pretty cheap, under 5 bucks at local car parts places)

#21 ·
Yeah, the only + switch is the parking light I believe. My autopage system has ground switch actuators though. So i didn't need to many relay (only used relays for the custom stuff). It worked out great though. My system provides a "ground when armed", "ground when cranking", "disable remote start when grounded", and a "disable remote start when not grounded". There is also a "ground for programmable time increment" that i haven't used yet. I am going to either have remote window roll down or up, haven't decided yet.

#22 ·
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I just installed a Directed 5x10 in my car, but when I go to activate the module, the red led stays lit and doesn't do anything. The instructions say to plug in the main power harness, wait for red light to steady on, insert key and wait for module to learn (blinking red light). When it is steady green, it is done. It gets stuck on red ... and for the life of me, I can't find a black 7 pin harness for an "immobilizer" anywhere near the steering column. The directech website insists that most Scion, Toyota, Lexus of that generation uses one. Please help me ... I'm already $600 in the hole.

#24 ·
I found that out the hard way. I looked at some of the newer steering column locks, and saw where it should be located. I also found out, this system installed at PC Richard and Sons for $500. I bought the module alone for $450 from sonicelectronix. And then got the relay pack for another $50 and the USB cable to program the module for another $35. Also bout an idatalink alca and a usb cable for that too. I would have had a better chance with the 5906v. I found it on amazon for half the price at about $250. I'm so angry with myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.