Scion xB Forum

Scion xB Forum (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB Appearance (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/29-scion-xb-appearance/)
-   -   Help...ripped the handle off my hatch... (https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-appearance/76610-help-ripped-handle-off-my-hatch.html)

msydnor 01-22-2016 12:40 PM

Help...ripped the handle off my hatch...

Ice storm has everything frozen. Went to get the bags of salt from the XB and ripped the handle (or what ever it is considered) off the hatch. I looks like it is made of plastic and screwed on. Anyone know of I can order just that piece? Anyone have one laying around? Hoping I can find a black one so it doesn't need painting. It a first gen XB. Thanks in advance.

wagonbldr 01-22-2016 02:41 PM

I ordered mine color matched from D2BDMotorWerks. Just search for ScionPro and it will bring their new site up. About $100, but seems to be better quality than factory piece. Just my $.02. Some have got theirs from Amazon, but don't know how quality compared.

msydnor 01-22-2016 05:17 PM

Re: Help...ripped the handle off my hatch...

Thanks

dubeexb06 01-22-2016 05:42 PM

Yep.... ScionPro is the only handle upgrade to buy !!! Better quality than what Toyota makes and that carry all colors too !!!!!

msydnor 01-22-2016 07:56 PM

Just ordered one. Thanks guys

dubeexb06 01-22-2016 08:31 PM

You will not be sorry !!!! Glad that we could help you out !!!!!

Tupperward 11-14-2016 03:23 PM

Thank god you posted this.

Last week this happened to me. What a day, too.

First day at a new job downtown, I go to my car to run an errand during lunch. Hey, it won't start. I pop the hood and see corrosion on the positive terminal of my battery. Ok, that's not so bad, run to the back of my car to grab my cleaner kit (I've only really had old junkers before this) and when I grab the hatch it pulls right off. I grumble a bit, tape it back on and clean up the battery.

Well, it turns out the battery is dead. I can jump it and get it to O'Reilly and buy a new one no problem, though. I also grab some epoxy while I'm there. I try to get it stuck back on, but no dice. Now it's toast. I'll have to dissolve the epoxy on the car side of the hatch and buy a new handle.

Meanwhile, I try to wash epoxy off my hands and my big dumb feet break tile underneath the bathroom sink. This causes me to bend over and knock the nearby dish soap bottle and pop the cap clean off. Next thing you know I'm just on the sofa scrubbing away when I hear something below me give and the sofa sinks down a bit.

Really a delightful day.

Anyway, none of that is relevant, but this is a real lifesaver.

msydnor 11-14-2016 05:30 PM

I pulled mine off last winter. I duck taped it on and ordered a new one off ebay, Just couldn't go in the hatch until it arrived.

bunghole 11-16-2016 10:25 AM

I think the Amazon is the same as scion pro, but no painted they come in all black or chrome. There is a video on it where the person says the handle from Amazon was stronger than the stock Scion hatch handle.

1.8TTony 11-16-2016 04:45 PM

8 months ago I repaired mine with JB Weld........can't even tell that it was repaired..........still hasn't broke yet (fingers crossed).

JPB 11-20-2016 12:34 PM

I'm told that this only happens to 1999-2002 cars where the plate recess is in the bumper and the handle on the back door is shorter, so presumably stiffer? Didn't stop my buying a very late, 2006 car though! My solution to preventing handle breakage: Only access the boot from inside and, if I ever need to get at the spare wheel, open the door from the inside. Coward, me? Yeah. :-(

wagonbldr 11-21-2016 08:01 AM

Wife tore mine off because she was impatient, and it was very cold. Son had to climb in back and push while I worked the switch. Something had hatch jammed, shop rag or something.

dubeexb06 11-21-2016 11:29 AM

/\/\... Never fails and ..YES.. It does suck !!!