LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Billy Francis is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hey new member here with a box with probs

Well I've had my box for over 1 1/2 yrs now and had had a electric prob. My car randomly dies and wont start. New battery alternator starter and ground wires. Starts up most times but voltage is off only getting around 12.5 to12.8 driving and that's with new stuff before it was at 11.2 so I'm stumped help anyone thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Myopic is on a distinguished road
Re: Hey new member here with a box with probs

Welcome to the site.

For whatever reason, the new alternator is not placing its charging output into the operating circuit. This can be an incomplete route to the battery, or it can be the new alternator is not generating sufficient voltage.

The low voltages you listed are indicative of the new battery's state of charge; and not the alternator output. Even if the new battery depletes its energy and the ignition system will not continue to function, the charge will return slowly on its own after the vehicle is shut off. Eventually, the new battery will not restore itself enough to start the vehicle.

Read the voltage directly at the new alternator output to see if 13.5 volts are present. If that voltage is present, there is an open in the circuit to the battery. If that voltage is not present, the alternator is performing properly.

Also, most stores such as Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc., will perform a free charging system diagnostic test on your vehicle even if you did not purchase the components from them.

Good luck, and post your results.

---------- Post added 07-08-2019 at 11:01 PM ----------

Sorry, should have typed: Read the voltage directly at the new alternator output to see if 13.5 volts are present. If that voltage is present, there is an open in the circuit to the battery. If that voltage is not present, the alternator is not performing properly.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Billy Francis is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Ya I'm leaning toward the alternator or the wire that tires the battery to it. Anyone else have similar probs. By the way I'm located in Ohio been around cars for long time. Own a 3000gt vr4 that's a fun toy. But ya this damn box !

User Tag List