post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RetAardvark is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thought Id trion a Scion...

Howdy PartNerds,
For several months now, I have been lurking around your forums like an uninvited barnacle, feeding off your good ideas and solutions. Ive decided to give up that old life and come clean. Ill accept whatever humiliation, hazing, and ridicule I have coming for secretly sucking off the brain-teats of you fine box-Stars.

(Sorry about that intro, but I have to fulfill my new member post quota somehow, and Im just spitballing here)

I wanted to own one of these Scion ice cream trucks since they came out, and 15 years.later, I got one.
I guess I tend to procrastinate

I answered an ad on OfferUp (Im in Portland, OR) for a stock 06 manual in Black Cherry Pearl
Since it looks like something Prince would drive to Mary Kay parties if he lived in a cul-de-sac,
I christened it the Raspberry Bidet
I didnt know that manual transmissions were so rare these days! Used to be the other way around. Apparently, people learn to drive by playing Grand Theft Auto?
The trans was pretty well dickered when I test drove it, so I offered the seller $1000 cash and ended up driving it home, title in hand.
After much searching, I found a nice used 5 spd on eBay for $450 delivered.
Swapped it out over a weekend and actually got it right the first time.

Ive got lots of plans for it and will be curious to see whats been working for all of you.

If Im doing something against the rules, please dont hesitate to set me straight.
Ive got thick skin

Cheers!
msydnor likes this.

Id rather have a bottle in front of me,
than a frontal lobotomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Family. Always good to see an xB find a loving home.
RetAardvark likes this.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough
Re: Thought Id trion a Scion...

Welcome to da club !!! Post a pic when you can and let the mods begin !!!
RetAardvark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Imtoasty is on a distinguished road

I'm curious as to how the trans swap was. I followed a thread here where a 6 speed was swapped, but there OP has since disappeared.

BTW, I also own a cherry xB of similar vintage, with a Prince symbol on the back. My daughter named the car "The Purple One," so it was meant to be.

I'm a Portlander as well (near David Douglas) and it feels like the xB was tailor-made for Portland's smaller streets and "55mph speed limit"

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RetAardvark is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)

Hey Toasty,
Since we have so many similarities, I can tell you from experience exactly how your tranny swap will go...
(Settle down. I know it’s Portland, but not that kind of....)
I followed that thread about the 6speed swap for a while too. I read everything I could find in these and other forums.

I didnt find any one place that I could direct you to that had a fully comprehensive walk thru, but the shop manual has step by step instructions with a few pics you could use as an outline.
I’m not a pro mechanic by any stretch, but I’m fairly resourceful. and can think my way through most repairs. I did mine in my buddy’s driveway over a couple days, but I also fixed my brakes and straightened out some sloppy work I saw while I had it up on jack stands.

I took my time and was prepared going in. Just keep your parts organized as you go. Don’t toss everything in a coffee can thinking you’ll remember what goes where Lay out a sheet or drop cloth to put your parts and bolts on in order of each step.
You could also shoot short videos showing what part you’re disconnecting or taking off next while telling yourself what you’re doing.
Maybe keep a pad of paper to draw sketches. Whatever works for you. If you have a buddy hanging out to film parts while you narrate,...

The basic process goes like this:

- First you’ll do some searching online for a PDF of a shop manual and DL it, probably watching any of the gen 1 manual trans removal/ install videos/ articles w pics along the way.
- I assume yours is a manual like mine? I hadn’t replaced a trans in prob 10-15 years, and didn’t know that they are now more expensive/ rare than an auto. Used to be the other way around. I was patient because I was broke. You can easily spend over a grand just for a used one, which raises the stakes on doing it yourself. I had no plan B. May be different for you. Im not usually broke but my previous car had just been stolen along with 30 yrs of tools I use every day for my work as a construction, handyman, jerkoff all trades.

Odd fact: I live in NW PDX near Thurman which is where my old car (auto trans) was taken. The cop that took my report said they rarely get a call about a manual trans vehicle getting stolen. When they do, he said ithey usually find it 10 ft from where it was taken. I couldn’t imagine why, so I asked. He just laughed and said, “nobody drives stick shift anymore!”. Apparently it’s some kind of Grand Theft Auto effect?

The actual swap wasn’t too bad. Finding one I could afford took some digging and persistence. I checked usedpart.com everyday and eBay, which is where I eventually found mine for $450 delivered.
Once you have the trans and a flat spot to do the switcheroo, get it up on jack stands, and follow the steps. You have to disconnect battery and remove items attached to the trans, disconnect the 3 trans mounts and eventually the bell housing bolts from the motor.
The crucial part of the whole job is when you separate the trans from the motor. You’ll want to have the front of the car up high enougbt to allow the trans to move away from the engine and be lowered to the ground, slide it out from under the car
I used a small floor jack with a wooden cradle/platform I made from scrap wood that set on top of the jack to carry the weight. Once you get all the bolts out, you get the cradle/board in place with the jack. Point the wheels in the direction such that they will assist you in prying the trans apart from the engine. You want to lower it to the ground at a controlled downward angle, towards the front drivers side corner.
You don’t want all that weight just hanging there, unsported.
You don’t have to treat it like a ladies watch, but you don’t want to just drop it, or let it smash it into any of the hoses, etc in the engine compartment either. I used a 36” or so length of 1 1/2-2” square piece of metal tubing as a crossbar placed on top of the engine cavity with heavy duty ratchet straps to keep it suspended n the air as my buddy and I carefully lowered it a little bit at a time until the jack couldn’t go lower. I then pushed the jack out of the way and we set it on the ground. Slide it out under the front of the car.
Slide the new one under from the front and get the ratchet strap(s) under the new trans and help raise it up while the person above ratchets the straps up enough to get that jack under it and slowly guide it up into place at an angle. When your taking the old one out and guiding the new one in, you may have to loosen anything that gets in the way. It’s a tight squeeze, but you can do it. Just don’t force it if you’re hung up on something.
There’s a spline on the trans that has to be aligned properly to slide interface w the engine, but it’s fairly straightforward.
Once it’s in, you just put it back together in reverse order.

I didn’t mention every single step here. Use the manual and don’t rush it. You’ll get it
If you happen to have a bunch of extra cash and a good mechanic you trust, keep in mind no one threw a parade in my honor for doing it myself. I did feel pretty great when I turned the key and it started on the first try and drove perfectly in every gear.
It’s been around 5 months of daily driving and I’ve had no issues.

Sorry for the epic length response, but I know I would’ve liked to some more info from someone who had gone thru it before I started. Knowing others have done it helps.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but I’ll give you fair warning: I’ll prob answer it.

Cheers!

Id rather have a bottle in front of me,
than a frontal lobotomy
post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Great details on this and you are right as you need to take your time doing any repairs/ replacements like this !!!!
RetAardvark likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page