LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Imtoasty is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Completely surprised

Hello fellow toaster enthusiasts, I am an unlikely yet newly dedicated fan of the first gen xB. I've driven Jeep's and full sized trucks my whole life, however I got this little Scion (I call it my Toyota) last year for commuting purposes. I own a black cherry pearl '05 with the 5 speed, bone stock with 170k. I expected a cramped, anemic car similar to my experience with a Prius. What I got is a zippy little workhorse with a buttery smooth transmission that handles like it's on rails and has enough room for my 6'3" frame as well as my wife and kids.

Thank you guys for keeping this community alive. These cars are little fun boxes with great reliability and utility. What a find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
se-r_dad is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Completely surprised

Welcome welcome, any mods yet? Let's see some pix.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to da club !! Were glad you discovered the XB and if ya have any questions we will try to help ya out !! Let the mods begin !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-08-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the warm welcome! Here's some pics of my new toy. My daughter calls it "The Purple One" so I respectfully put a Prince sticker on the window.

As for modifications, I'd like to increase both creature comforts, and performance without being too aggressive. I'm not trying to have a show car, but rather a "touring car," as if they released an xB GT. Right now reliability is the goal. I just got some NGK iridium plugs in the mail, along with a new thermostat and radiator cap.

The car runs smooth and surprisingly zippy, except on Monday it died while going 70 on the 405 freeway. The engine cut out without throwing any codes or warning lights, I just got the "three amigos" VSC, Trac, and check engine when the engine decided to shut off. I safely pulled off the freeway, checked my fluids and battery connection, didn't see anything weird, started it back up and drove home. Since the incident I've put about 50 more miles of non highway driving on her, mainly stop and go traffic but about 20 miles 'spirited' driving on the back roads. I have no idea what went wrong.

Upgrades I hope to include:
Android auto capable radio
Bluetooth OBD2 reader w/ torque app
Lowered (maybe 2") with upgraded hardware
Driver dome light
Re-badging as Toyota
Cruise control
And if I win the lottery, forced induction.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_162455_1549672466862.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	73074   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_162443_1549672485553.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	73076  
post #5 of 21 Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Family. Very odd shutting off like that. There should be a code thrown if the 3 stooges lights are on.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM

dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

One other mod you might want will be a rear sway bar !!! It will really tighten the rear end up !!!!
post #7 of 21 Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM
Assault & Battery

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lenin Parada is on a distinguished road
Garage

I have a set of used (still in great condition) Eibach lowering springs for $125. It'll drop the box 2" all around, lemme know if you're interested!

Atmospheric Blackened Death Metal from Fredericksburg, VA/USA
https://www.facebook.com/Archael
post #8 of 21 Old 02-15-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No codes thrown, and I'm not 100% sure if the lights actually come on or if the engine stalling causes them to come on. I was thinking it could be a fuel delivery issue, so I'm going to check fuel pressure later, and possibly replace the fuel pump relay.

I cleaned my MAF and throttle body recently, and just replaced my spark plugs.

It's now stalled on me 3 times, once on the freeway, once while turning a corner near my house, and once idling in a parking lot. It starts back up fine and drives beautifully though.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Lenin: I'd love to take you up on the offer, it's a great deal! I need to figure out this stalling issue though before I go and do anymore "spirited driving," which would be a necessity if I had the coilovers and sway bar installed.
Lenin Parada likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road

There is a sock type fuel filter at the fuel pump that gets dirty over time. Usually don't give any issues unless station you get fuel at has trashy gas. Probably all of the stations have converted to plastic tanks instead of steel because of rust issues.
How many people observe their favorite gas station during a heavy rain. Is water running over the fill caps where trucks unload? Is the seal in place on those caps?
dubeexb06 likes this.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage

Good observation Jim, I only use Shell or Chevron.

At Imtoasty: try a red bottle of "Heat" at any parts store. It gets rid of water in your tank, I had issues getting bad gas from a gas station, car just stalled coming to a stop. Was weird, poured that can in to my tank with Chevron gas and all was well again.

post #12 of 21 Old 02-16-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by se-r_dad View Post
Good observation Jim, I only use Shell or Chevron.

At Imtoasty: try a red bottle of "Heat" at any parts store. It gets rid of water in your tank, I had issues getting bad gas from a gas station, car just stalled coming to a stop. Was weird, poured that can in to my tank with Chevron gas and all was well again.

You know, I've had so many problems with failed components on my domestic brand vehicles, I've never entertained the possibility of contaminated fuel. I live in a semi-shady neighborhood in SoCal, and we recently had some big rain events. I usually go to the shady-er gas stations, so it's entirely possible I got some watery gas. I'm gonna get some Heat, and I'll chime back in. Thanks guys 😬
post #13 of 21 Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Might as well post some progress photos. I changed the spark plugs last weekend, and found they had quite the wide gap, but not as bad as I'd expect assuming they're factory parts on my 170,000 mile box. I replaced with the NGK Iridium with the .38 gap. It seems everything is stock on my little car.

We'll see if this Heet treatment works for me car's intermittent stalling. If not, I'll be changing a fuel pump and components. If yes, I think I'll tackle some more fun cosmetic projects, like map lights, fog lights, a deeper tone horn, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124152_1550345316061.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	73124   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_125031_1550345542082.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	73126   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124546_1550345561429.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	73128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_124259_1550345592486.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	73130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_125918_1550345614696.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	73132  

post #14 of 21 Old 02-16-2019, 02:08 PM

DAMN... 170K on OEM plugs, should be better but have to agree with Samy as bad gas could couse that !! In my day we had bad gas monthly and you knew where NOT to by gas then !!!
post #15 of 21 Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I went to the junkyard today to see what I could get, only came back with a couple emblems and coil plugs. I swear people just rip apart these cars with reckless abandon just to get a single part. Very frustrating.

On a positive note, my little Toyota made it 65 miles today driving highway, city, and frontage roads with no stalling, lights, or hesitation. Thanks you guys, your simple suggestion saved me a couple hundred bucks and many hours of labor and confusion. Only top end gas stations from her on out!
Lenin Parada likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 PM

We never had a XB in da wreaking yard here but on you gas, just be aware of where you buy gas from !! Like are they busy most of the time !! And never buy gas when a tanker is at the station as he is mixing up all the stuff in that tank !!!
post #17 of 21 Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtoasty View Post
So I went to the junkyard today to see what I could get, only came back with a couple emblems and coil plugs. I swear people just rip apart these cars with reckless abandon just to get a single part. Very frustrating.

On a positive note, my little Toyota made it 65 miles today driving highway, city, and frontage roads with no stalling, lights, or hesitation. Thanks you guys, your simple suggestion saved me a couple hundred bucks and many hours of labor and confusion. Only top end gas stations from her on out!
I only use Shell and Chevron regular, or QT only if its Non Ethanol. You might save a few cents but get worse gas mileage and water problems.

post #18 of 21 Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Assault & Battery

Garage

I personally try to use only Shell (Donut YouTube channel has a good vid on Shell gas) I'd like to add a few things I've done so far, and you may want to check/clean/replace since you're at 170,XXX miles (I'm at 151,XXX) I've replaced my IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) along with running Seafoam thru there, and I'm about to replace my Camshaft oil valve due to a minor oil sweat (gasket is prob cracked.) I went Toyota OEM and found all of this between Ebay and Amazon for under $180 so take your time searching online. I bought my DeathBx with 60,XXX miles and I can say that this xB has never given me problems (only times is when I've stuck my hands in there lol but all those are minor.) Good job on starting with the plugs n coils, I would've done the same
dubeexb06 likes this.

post #19 of 21 Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice Lenin! I have replaced my PCV while trying to diagnose a weird idling issue when the A/C is on, but I think that's just what happens with our smaller engines. I'd like to replace the idle control valve, but I can't bring myself to replace a $150 working part. I did clean the MAF and throttle body which helped tremendously, but I still get a little stumble on rpm's when the A/C kicks on at idle.

I did, however, have a conversation with my friend about changing the gearbox fluid with either Amsoil or Royal Purple. I don't know when the last time the fluid was changed (if ever) and I'd like to give my little Toyota the best stuff available. I can feel the gate hesitating to open at low rpm when shifting, and I'm anticipating the premium fluid will return my gear box to it's former buttery-smooth self. I also searched the forums and found a post where a guy switched to Royal Purple engine oil and picked up a considerable amount of power on a Dyno. I'm guessing mpg would benefit from this high end lubrication as well. Any thoughts on Amsoil/Royal Purple?
Lenin Parada likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Assault & Battery

Garage

I personally try to use only Shell (Donut YouTube channel has a good vid on Shell gas) I'd like to add a few things I've done so far, and you may want to check/clean/replace since you're at 170,XXX miles (I'm at 151,XXX) I've replaced my IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) along with running Seafoam thru there, and I'm about to replace my Camshaft oil valve due to a minor oil sweat (gasket is prob cracked.) I went Toyota OEM and found all of this between Ebay and Amazon for under $180 so take your time searching online. I bought my DeathBx with 60,XXX miles and I can say that this xB has never given me problems (only times is when I've stuck my hands in there lol but all those are minor.) Good job on starting with the plugs n coils, I would've done the same

---------- Post added 02-19-2019 at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtoasty View Post
Thanks for the advice Lenin! I have replaced my PCV while trying to diagnose a weird idling issue when the A/C is on, but I think that's just what happens with our smaller engines. I'd like to replace the idle control valve, but I can't bring myself to replace a $150 working part. I did clean the MAF and throttle body which helped tremendously, but I still get a little stumble on rpm's when the A/C kicks on at idle.

I did, however, have a conversation with my friend about changing the gearbox fluid with either Amsoil or Royal Purple. I don't know when the last time the fluid was changed (if ever) and I'd like to give my little Toyota the best stuff available. I can feel the gate hesitating to open at low rpm when shifting, and I'm anticipating the premium fluid will return my gear box to it's former buttery-smooth self. I also searched the forums and found a post where a guy switched to Royal Purple engine oil and picked up a considerable amount of power on a Dyno. I'm guessing mpg would benefit from this high end lubrication as well. Any thoughts on Amsoil/Royal Purple?
IMHO I'd stay away from RP. Heard they've been bought out by a bigger brand that no longer is using the original formula, And I've mostly heard cons on RP when it comes to our boxes. I have however used Amsoil since day 1. There is a guy by the name of Scott G. on the FB xb pages that could give you a discount when you buy 5 quarts & oil filter. I also used Amsoil severe gear oil for my trans and it was an improvement. I then went down the rabbit hole of Toyota's Gear oil formula for our xB's (GL-4 if i remember) and found that Redline's MT-90 is exactly that formula so I went with Redline, and it was even a better improvement than before(not that it wasbad.) I have the TRD shortshifter along with Corsport short shitfter bushings so I can tell the difference. One thing our xB's have in common is the power loss when you're using the AC/Heater (honestly dont know why that is, but it goes away once you turn it off lol.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page