post #1 of 10 Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Jake [From State Farm]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
thebreadbox is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up College student, first car, 2006 xB! Hi!

'Ello folks!

First, this is the first forum I've been on so I'm excited to see how I can interact with you all and hopefully make new friendships and get some tips on how to keep my Breadbox alive until I graduate in 2.75 years!

I'll introduce myself briefly so you kinda know who the heck I am, which should make me less of a stranger. My name is Jake and I'm a 20 year old college student in New York studying industrial and interaction design and hopefully making entrepreneurship a dual major. I have my own business that I've had for over a year and currently beginning the process of getting another product concept out there. The two reasons I purchased my (FIRST CAR!!!) beloved 2006 Scion xB, nicknamed The Breadbox, were (1) because I live off campus and have to drive a bit to my college within the university and (2) because I travel with my business and thought it would make my life easier and present more opportunities.

I got my 2006 Scion xB in June of this year with the help of my father - I paid all $2,800 by myself with some of the money I saved up over the years as well as some money from my own business I have. Owning my first car is terrifying, but liberating, so I take a lot of pride knowing I didn't have my family helping me or asking for a loan - unlike many of the people I know who have their family pay for their ~fancy~ new car. With 167,000 miles on my automatic, I drive it like it's a chunk of gold; I'm terrified of trashing it in any way.

It's been about 3 months since I bought The Breadbox and I have fallen in love with it more than I ever expected. I hope to have you folks lend a hand on how to endure the crazy winters up here (my uncle has the same model car except it's a manual and says it drives beautifully in the snow), how to know when the car needs "help," and perhaps some creative ways to spice up the interior as my designer self feels it needs some unique vibes in it.

I hope this isn't too dreadfully long and fingers crossed that I'm welcomed into this community with folks who adore this unique vehicle as much as I do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-24-2016, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road
Re: College student, first car, 2006 xB! Hi!

Welcome! There's not a ton of us left because it's a 10-12 year old model. It seems that many of our more active posters have sold their cars and moved on.

There is a lot of good info on this board. The 1NZ-FE engine is very durable if you take care of it. Do you have the repair and maintenance records for the box, it could give you a peace of mind knowing what maintenance has been done already and what is due.

It's nice that your uncle has the same car, he probably has good advice for you. I'd recommend reading the owner's manual cover to cover and to get acclimated with the repair schedules.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-24-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Jake [From State Farm]

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@melonxb , I know! I searched around here a tad and found newer models. I actually dislike the newer ones as they're smaller and a lot more curved than the 2006 model. I enjoy the uniqueness of this model and wouldn't have it any other way!

I did read up on some of the car stuff, but I'm not a "car guy." I do want to explore thinking about fixing up the inside - the light on the inside is way too dim and not enough (it's in the center of the car and barely spreads well) and was trying to figure out a cool way to maybe install something better. Hmm.

Just would love to see if maybe I'd get some cool DIY tips here, but like you said, it may not apply much due to the fact that mine is older, which sucks. Anyway, thank you for saying hi!

(P.S I have no idea if this is the "best" way to reply to a thread.)

•JAKE•

designer | entrepreneur | DIY enthusiast | coffee addict | scion xB newbie

"Let's go for a ride -
for three, four hours to the nearest Waffle House or something.
Get the hell out of this terrible city in Upstate New York 'cause
there's tourist traps, diner shacks, and hidden gems waiting for us."

(check out my business that lives out of The Breadbox)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Family. My son took my 1st gen off to college and still has it. Guess I lost that one. Still have my second gen. Both are great cars in their own way. There are still some very knowledgable people on here, and plenty of ideas for mods. Enjoy the ride
post #5 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadbox View Post
@melonxb , I know! I searched around here a tad and found newer models. I actually dislike the newer ones as they're smaller and a lot more curved than the 2006 model. I enjoy the uniqueness of this model and wouldn't have it any other way!

I did read up on some of the car stuff, but I'm not a "car guy." I do want to explore thinking about fixing up the inside - the light on the inside is way too dim and not enough (it's in the center of the car and barely spreads well) and was trying to figure out a cool way to maybe install something better. Hmm.

Just would love to see if maybe I'd get some cool DIY tips here, but like you said, it may not apply much due to the fact that mine is older, which sucks. Anyway, thank you for saying hi!

(P.S I have no idea if this is the "best" way to reply to a thread.)
TBB, did you buy the car from a private seller or from a dealer? In other words, do you have the repair records?

My advice, as an older driver, is to focus on the stuff under the hood first. I remember you need this box to last 2.5 years while you're in school.

I know how you feel about fixing up the inside and cosmetic stuff, I was the same way at your age. But your money is probably limited to an extent, and you want to prioritize making sure the tranny/engine/fluids are all up to date regarding maintenance. This is especially if you are going to pay someone to do this work, like I do.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Jake [From State Farm]

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@wagonbldr I can't imagine the newer generations. This one I have is tough and I love it. My father said it was the best car to get for my first vehicle and I will say it was well worth my own money. I find it very interesting that people, once they get one of these, can't go back to any other car. My uncle has the same (2006 Scion xB) but manual, and he's currently on an intense search to find the same exact one but with lower miles on it. If ya love it, you gotta have it!

Thank you for your warm welcome!

---------- Post added 09-26-2016 at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonxb View Post
TBB, did you buy the car from a private seller or from a dealer? In other words, do you have the repair records?

My advice, as an older driver, is to focus on the stuff under the hood first. I remember you need this box to last 2.5 years while you're in school.

I know how you feel about fixing up the inside and cosmetic stuff, I was the same way at your age. But your money is probably limited to an extent, and you want to prioritize making sure the tranny/engine/fluids are all up to date regarding maintenance. This is especially if you are going to pay someone to do this work, like I do.
@melonxb , it was from a dealer, and we went through everything. I'm blessed to have my father who is wicked well versed in cars overall (he's seen his share of used cars back in the day!) so he thoroughly checked the car over. We had one "big" issue that we luckily caught with the windshield. We thought replacing it with a new one before I left for this semester would be smart due to a small crack and insurance covering it. Turns out, when we took it out, there was a bunch of rust and we had to solve it. My father did the repair work himself, I did the paint job, and we saved thousands. Once we solved that problem, the weird in-car smell was gone and checked the car all over again to find no more internal damage or any things of concern. As of now, I'm sure I'm golden. This was not a refurbished car, it has a clean title and only one owner that used it for his IT tech company to drive stuff around.

•JAKE•

"Let's go for a ride -

post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
06xbox is on a distinguished road

Welcome and congrats. You will find some great information throughout the forum. It has become a little less active because of the 1st generation model being discontinued but still a lot of die hard enthusiasts and owners on here. Feel free to search through the forum. I'm sure many of your questions can be answered from just a simple search. If not, feel free to post a new thread.

I've been on the forum since I purchased my 1st gen brand new. Haven't been as active as others but I do check in quite regularly. You can't beat the reliability of these cars. They will run forever if taken care of.

I can relate to your background. I've been actively taking classes and various college courses while working full time. At the time I bought my xB, I needed reliable, dependable, cheap transportation that would last a long time. 10+ years later, I still own mine and love it.

Again, welcome to the family.

---------- Post added 09-25-2016 at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadbox View Post
@wagonbldr I can't imagine the newer generations. This one I have is tough and I love it. My father said it was the best car to get for my first vehicle and I will say it was well worth my own money. I find it very interesting that people, once they get one of these, can't go back to any other car. My uncle has the same (2006 Scion xB) but manual, and he's currently on an intense search to find the same exact one but with lower miles on it. If ya love it, you gotta have it!

Thank you for your warm welcome!

---------- Post added 09-26-2016 at 12:12 AM ----------

@melonxb , it was from a dealer, and we went through everything. I'm blessed to have my father who is wicked well versed in cars overall (he's seen his share of used cars back in the day!) so he thoroughly checked the car over. We had one "big" issue that we luckily caught with the windshield. We thought replacing it with a new one before I left for this semester would be smart due to a small crack and insurance covering it. Turns out, when we took it out, there was a bunch of rust and we had to solve it. My father did the repair work himself, I did the paint job, and we saved thousands. Once we solved that problem, the weird in-car smell was gone and checked the car all over again to find no more internal damage or any things of concern. As of now, I'm sure I'm golden. This was not a refurbished car, it has a clean title and only one owner that used it for his IT tech company to drive stuff around.
The windshields on our cars are definitely a weak point. Especially if you do a lot of driving on highways/freeways due to stones and rocks kicking up. If the windshield was replaced and installed poorly, you will get rust, noise, or leaks. A quality installation is key.

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #8 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Correct that the windshield is an issue on our boxes. Next is to preserve the rear hatch handle.

Many of our more active posters here have purchased preowned xB's with over 100k miles, so there's good info here on what should be done to keep them running smoothly. Some of the posters that purchased the boxes with over 100k miles on it are handing off their cars to their kids. That's a nice testament to these cars.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Jake [From State Farm]

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@melonxb - a great statement about it being a great hand-me-down car. I swear, my uncle would've given me his if I knew how to drive a stick (I'll get there eventually). I love seeing that people are constantly saying they're reliable and durable. I mean... they are Toyota's after all :P

---------- Post added 09-26-2016 at 01:19 AM ----------

@06xbox - 10+ years is incredible. People nowadays don't keep cars that long, either due to wanting a new one or 'cause newer cars can crap out quicker. For me, I hope that every day I have this car, that it'll last until I graduate after 5 years in college. I can drive home (3.5 hours) for Thanksgiving rather than a 6.5 bus ride. I can travel with my business. I can get design/art supplies for classes. In general, people don't realize how lucky they are to have a car int eh first place, and that's why I'm like, please don't crap out on me, Breadbox.

I heard a lot about windshield issues. Luckily we found that huge issue immediately. It should be fixed for a good long time now, but I'm keeping an eye on it. My father obsessively watched the windshield installer because he didn't want it to have any issues. Fingers crossed. The windshield is so damn huge (I always call it the Greenhouse Effect in the car) which is why I love it so much, but yes, gotta watch out for potential damage.

•JAKE•

"Let's go for a ride -

post #10 of 10 Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
jdmtoaster is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Ive had my xB for 1.5 years and got it with 162k now 177k and still runs new. Give some love to all the fluids and replace them as a safety thing. Everytime i get a car i always change all fluids and spark plugs, even if the previous owner said they did it.. nice peace of mind lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page