1st gen popularity - Scion xB Forum
General Scion xB Discussion For all other topics not covered in other Scion xB Forums, this is where you post General Scion xB topics.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By wagonbldr
  • 1 Post By chrisdesil
  • 2 Post By Imtoasty
  • 1 Post By DTRAIN619

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Imtoasty is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1st gen popularity

I've been browsing Craigslist and CarGuru's since I purchased my '06 xB 5mt about 3 years ago. I paid $3,000 for it and saw similarly priced 1st gens. Now when I look around I see many 1st gens being advertised for $5-6k.

What's the consensus on our cars' increasing desirability? Do you think it's tied to gas prices, availability, or nostalgia? At this point, I might just buy another 1st Gen as an investment opportunity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st gen popularity

I would like to say, "D", all of the above. There is like a Cult following for these little cars. Lately I have been reading where new buyers had wanted one years ago, but now finances are allowing them to finally get one. In my area, anything with less 100k miles will be $5-6 easy. But if taken care of, can easily last 4-500k miles. And a few have more than that.
DTRAIN619 likes this.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Gotta agree with ya, Jim. That's why I held on to certain pieces...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-01-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
jcXB is on a distinguished road

I got my 1st gen 2005 BCP in 2009 with 57,000 miles on it and still have it today @ 182,000 miles. I'm keeping mine for sure, super reliable. The original factory paint clear is starting to peel at this point which is normal wear and tear. I bought my grandparents a 2014 Army Rock a couple of years ago and they love it as well.

Dtrain its been awhile man, I think we last talked at Torc 2013
post #5 of 9 Old 11-01-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The xB's always had a diverse and loyal community, and I think it's growing with a new generation of drivers that don't see anything else like it on the market. Folks seem to be willing to pay a premium. There isn't a lot of cars you can buy and then sell at a profit!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chrisdesil will become famous soon enough

I feel like it's not a popular car where I live. I very rarely even see one on the road anymore, and when I do, it's being driven by elderly people and is completely stock. I just did some quick searches, CarGurus and CarFax only list 5 cars available within 200 miles from me. And there was 1 listed on Craigslist Prices ranged from 2,900 to 5,500. Every one of them was being sold via a car lot. Not a personal sale. So if you tried to sell yours here, you'd be lucky to get 2-3,000. xB2s are still pretty common here, and they're valued slightly more than the original.

The car that is really popular here is the Kia Soul. They're everywhere here. They're just pumping them out. I'm not sure why Toyota isn't continuing to produce a box car because it clearly sells with Kia monopolizing the market now that both Toyota and Nissan aren't producing the xB and Cube any longer.
jetpower likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very interesting. I live in Los Angeles, and you couldn't swing a dead cat around without hitting one!

I bet it has something to do with the area. Florida has a lot of freeways and retiree's, and Los Angeles has smaller streets and congested freeway. The xB is geared for anything under 55mph and cuts in an out of traffic well. Plus, they are quite cheap and reliable.

I imagine Florida to have lots and lots of trucks, lots of SUV's and luxury sedans.
EquisBe and jetpower like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcXB View Post
I got my 1st gen 2005 BCP in 2009 with 57,000 miles on it and still have it today @ 182,000 miles. I'm keeping mine for sure, super reliable. The original factory paint clear is starting to peel at this point which is normal wear and tear. I bought my grandparents a 2014 Army Rock a couple of years ago and they love it as well.

Dtrain its been awhile man, I think we last talked at Torc 2013
It has been a while, Brother Jeff!

I had lot's of fun with my box, and had the opportunity to meet folks I consider family. I do plan to get another 1st Gen in the future (provided I live long enough). It won't be a daily driver, I plan to be that old guy with the really tricked out car that brings it out now and then...
EquisBe likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 04:06 PM
Recidivist User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
jetpower is on a distinguished road

I've driven the Kia Soul; it's really nice, but the Gen1 has better visibility and gas mileage, and - for me - is more fun.

I've noticed a price rise in just the last few months here in SoCal, but still hoping to find the right 2006 box soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page