Toyota kills the Scion brand - Page 3 - Scion xB Forum
General Scion xB Discussion For all other topics not covered in other Scion xB Forums, this is where you post General Scion xB topics.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
BeachBoxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
MiamixB is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Toyota kills the Scion brand

Sorry about the death of the Scion brand guys, I think it's my fault...
I had a Triumph Herald convertible- Triumph is gone...
Had 1979 and 1983 Fiat Spiders- Fiat pulled out of the US around 1985...
Have a 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider (my 2nd)- Alfa Romeo pulled out of the US in 1994...
Bought a Scion in 2015- now Scion is gone!
It's gotta be my fault- right?
The good news is that Fiat and Alfa Romeo are back in the US again!
Maybe we just have to be patient for their return!
Hey- just be glad these are re-badged Toyotas! You have no idea what it's like getting parts and service for a 20+ year old car with no dealers or OEM suppliers.
In any case, I'm enjoying my 1987 Alfa Romeo- and my 2016 Blue Box!

---------- Post added 02-22-2016 at 08:47 PM ----------

Ummm... I mean my 2006 Blue Box!
DickInABox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

/\/\... X2 !!!!
post #43 of 59 Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
BMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamixB View Post
Sorry about the death of the Scion brand guys, I think it's my fault...
I had a Triumph Herald convertible- Triumph is gone...
Had 1979 and 1983 Fiat Spiders- Fiat pulled out of the US around 1985...
Have a 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider (my 2nd)- Alfa Romeo pulled out of the US in 1994...
Bought a Scion in 2015- now Scion is gone!
It's gotta be my fault- right?
The good news is that Fiat and Alfa Romeo are back in the US again!
Maybe we just have to be patient for their return!
Hey- just be glad these are re-badged Toyotas! You have no idea what it's like getting parts and service for a 20+ year old car with no dealers or OEM suppliers.
In any case, I'm enjoying my 1987 Alfa Romeo- and my 2016 Blue Box!

---------- Post added 02-22-2016 at 08:47 PM ----------

Ummm... I mean my 2006 Blue Box!
Unlike those, you won't need to do anything but add gas, change the oil, tires, bulbs, and wipers for the first 200,000 miles Fiat Alpha left chose to leave the US because they didn't want to follow the smog & insurance safety rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 59 Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 AM
BeachBoxer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
MiamixB is on a distinguished road
Garage

I don't want to hijack the thread talking about non-Scions... but...
Triumph and Fiat built some high maintenance (but fun) cars. I have all sorts of stories about my Fiats breaking down, but I won't go into that here. At the end of their run in the US, I understand that Fiats that were shipped here sat at the port of entry docks for weeks and probably longer before going to dealers due to them selling so slowly. The steel back then wasn't very good to begin with, the rustproofing was a joke, and there are stories of them rusting before being delivered to customers.
As for Alfa Romeo (yes- Alfa- not Alpha!) I have over 300k miles between my two Spiders (first one died when a girl in a Toyota decided that fixing her makeup in the rain was more important than not slamming into the backside of my Alfa). These cars have been ultra reliable- in 28 years I have only been towed twice. Maintenance is on par with other cars of the era, and they burn some oil, but for its' day, they were very modern. When introduced in the mid 1960s, Alfa Spiders had all-aluminum twin-overhead-cam engines with hemispherical combustion chambers (yes- they're hemis!), 5 speed trans, limited slip diffs, and 4 wheel disk brakes. Very few cars of the day could say that!
As far as smog and safety, well... yes and no... Alfa was one of the first mass produced cars available in the US with fuel injection. This was done to give the US cars the same power (while meeting US emission standards) as the carburated European versions. Most European car companies put the US smog equipment on their cars and accepted the loss of power, but Alfa made sure that their cars were on a par with the rest of their production. Ugly bumpers sprouted like most imports, but in the end, the products that Alfa was building weren't suited to the US market, and they didn't have the desire to build a car tailored to typical US tastes. I think they also realized that right or wrong, the perception of inferior quality was tough to shake.
Of course, times have changed and the cars coming from Torino and Milano today are a far cry from their cars in the 1980s and 1990s.
Now... if you are looking for a 2nd car- something fun, relatively inexpensive, that gets 20mpg of regular gas around town but looks like a little Ferrari (because it was designed by Pininfarina- the same as many of the best looking classic Ferraris), you should check out an Alfa Spider! BTW- I can put the top down while sitting in the car in less than 2 seconds- putting it up might take me 10 seconds!
As for me- I think I have the best of both worlds. two fun to drive, affordable, and unique sets of wheels. BTW- my friends with Alfas think I'm crazy for buying my xB, and I'll bet most of you xBers out there think I'm crazy for owning my sexy, 2 seat, red Italian sports car!. Yeah- you're all right... crazy like a fox!
In interesting stat- my 2 seat 1987 Alfa Spider Veloce weighs more than my 2006 xB!
Anyway... Viva Italia! Viva Japan!
Now officially off the soapbox!
If you want more info about Alfa Romeos- particularly Spiders, and especially 1987 Spider Veloces- let me know! But let's move it to another forum! Have fun!
post #45 of 59 Old 02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Ain't too Funk to Druck.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough ketchup_xb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ketchup_xb Send a message via Yahoo to ketchup_xb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bB626 View Post
Right? And looks who's talking! Damn lurker!
lurking is hella fun, JDM.

HelaFassDooo
Thank you my HFD family from the bottom of my<3 for the rack!
2ZERO6FACTORY.COM
[B][COLOR="Cyan"]
post #46 of 59 Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM

dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

/\/\.. Nice to see that your still around from time to time !!!!! LOL
post #47 of 59 Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andy Ellixson is on a distinguished road

I'm not convinced this is true, as Scion xB 2018 are available for sale.
post #48 of 59 Old 01-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Really, have you seen these or seen ads for them !!!

Just askin !!
post #49 of 59 Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM
JPB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
JPB is on a distinguished road

Does this mean that the iQ will now be sold only as an Aston-Martin Cygnet in the USA, or are they replacing the short car's badges with Toyota ones, just like they have in the rest of the world?

I kid you not, Aston assembled their own version of the car formerly known as the Scion iQ, their brilliant but flawed plan being that owners of traditional Astons would be able to smoke about in something economical and well built when their DB7 was in the factory having that week's recall issues addressed and the edges of the car's aniseed flavoured grp body panels repaired after yet another dog attack.

I can just imagine that bar room discussion:

Ford person: "OK, so what are we going to do with these grilles left over from the older Fiesta?"
Aston person: "Ford owns us now, so maybe we can find somewhere to put them?"
Toyota UK person: "Well, we have these short cars that, although exactly the same length as a mini, only accommodate 3 and a half human beings and no luggage, so how about we let Aston Martin have the last few shells, fit the Fiesta grilles to these and put two proper seats inside, rather than three and a very small child's one?"

All: "Now there's a plan!"

Maybe Toyota should go back to having older Corollas built by GM, badged as Prizms in order to swerve around the import restrictions? That ought to do it.

John

post #50 of 59 Old 01-18-2018, 04:53 PM

I've seen a few vids, but searching my local Toyota dealer turns up nothing, so...
I did find a few youtube videos though....
Robs_Box likes this.
post #51 of 59 Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Agreed that is where I am finding them on U Tube but no where else !!!

BTW... our Toyota dealer took the Scion name down between Christmas and the New Year !!!
post #52 of 59 Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 AM

that's too bad. the xB is a terrific all around vehicle for kids, groceries, etc...Great commuter vehicle!
dubeexb06 likes this.
post #53 of 59 Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 AM
JPB

Buy one with the Toyota badge, job done! Traditionalist buyers in the UK and Europe were saddened to some extent when the Riley and Wolseley badges were phased out under the BLMC régime, but the same cars continued in their Austin, Morris, VdP and MG flavours.
Grab yourself a Rumion or Rukus, learn to love its silly name, replace the badges with Scion ones and you'd have the same car, with the same internationally recognised warranty.

dubeexb06 likes this.

John

post #54 of 59 Old 01-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Toyota really killed the Scion line by not advertising it the way they did in the past !! Folks wanted a bigger engine for more get up and go and they really went after the younger crowd !! But they found out that lots of older folks bought them and loved them as well !!!
post #55 of 59 Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Wish it was possible to import some of those models. Be it bB, Rumion or Coolbear.
dubeexb06 likes this.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #56 of 59 Old 01-22-2018, 04:36 AM
JPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonbldr View Post
Wish it was possible to import some of those models. Be it bB, Rumion or Coolbear.
Just out of interest; what is preventing US-based people importing cars, I'm told that older cars are easier to get into the US, but is there no way to import something newer by making some mods to comply with local regulations?
It seems unfair somehow. After all, it's possible to import so many less wholesome and healthy things than cars, and Japanese vehicles are quipped to meet some of the planet's strictest emissions regulations. Can those who would wish to import such cars not petition the relevant department within the US government?
The UK's e-petition system has seen some successes in recent years; free excise duty and no requirement to meet current regs for cars over 40 years of age, for example. Then there are the tax breaks for imported vehicles from manufacturers that have UK factories - Toyota included - but whose UK showrooms couldn't provide what the customer wanted in cases where the vehicle is adapted for wheelchair users or those with particular profession requirements such as taxi companies. Many of Uber's UK drivers run JDM import Prius, C-HR and other Toyotas so could the US' Uber drivers not support the enthusiast movement in trying to get some new import legislation drawn up which would benefit both the taxi trade and, by association, privateers who just want something different?

If I stayed in the US, I'd be on the phone to my local senator asking these questions. So much so that they'd probably flag me as a subversive and send me right back where I came from!

John

post #57 of 59 Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 AM

My understanding is we are left hand drive and they are right hand drive !!
post #58 of 59 Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
JPB

True, but the Rumion can be sourced in LHD form from the Phillipines, where converted JDM cars are almost as common as the original, RHD cars are in Japan. Just make sure that a conversion has been done using parts from an xB though, as some DIY jobs involve bike chains that run between sprockets behind the dash!
Also, if you get a job as a postal worker, then RHD would be most useful for doing the daily deliveries as you'd not have to walk so far from the car to the mail recipient's door if you get out at the right, thereby reducing the cost of shoe leather!

LHD vehicles are common here, some American models only ever came to the UK in LHD, as indeed did some cars that couldn't be converted safely, such as the Lancia Delta Integrale. The classic scene is awash with LHD stuff too, and some folk prefer LHD just because it's seen as a "cool" thing in vehicles such as this (UK market originally) 1958 BMW:

John

post #59 of 59 Old 01-22-2018, 11:49 AM

You are correct as most of our postal trucks are left hand drives, makes sense with the rural routes and some city addys !!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page