Toyota kills the Scion brand - Page 2 - Scion xB Forum
General Scion xB Discussion For all other topics not covered in other Scion xB Forums, this is where you post General Scion xB topics.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Dead box

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
yesthatsteve is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Toyota kills the Scion brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikinaut View Post
I've read some things online that Toyota's other brand Daihatsu may be stepping up to fill Scion's void? They even have a version of the xB. Can anyone shed more light on this?
I suspect that's a kei car - a class of tiny vehicle (max length: 11.2 ft; max engine size 660cc) that gets huge tax breaks in Japan, and currently has little chance of gaining approval for sale in the US.

It's possible that some Daihatsu models could make it to the US, but it really depends on what it would cost to gain federal safety & emissions approvals. Those are expensive processes, and sales projections would have to cover those by a pretty good margin to make it worth the risk.

Suit the action to the word, the word to the action.
-Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

/\/\.. I smell a .. BRIDE coming up !!!! LOL
post #23 of 59 Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
BMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesthatsteve View Post
I suspect that's a kei car - a class of tiny vehicle (max length: 11.2 ft; max engine size 660cc) that gets huge tax breaks in Japan, and currently has little chance of gaining approval for sale in the US.

It's possible that some Daihatsu models could make it to the US, but it really depends on what it would cost to gain federal safety & emissions approvals. Those are expensive processes, and sales projections would have to cover those by a pretty good margin to make it worth the risk.
Retirement communities would love these, nice, safer replacement for golf carts.
dubeexb06 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM

dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Might da that if I get lucky when I retire !!!!!
post #25 of 59 Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
ryuji16 is on a distinguished road

i could see this coming a mile away. their generations after the 1st were lackluster, with the xb going in a completely WRONG direction (how do you have a bigger car with LESS leg room inside?), steep decline in mpg, the much bigger motor was totally unnecessary (ZERO people bought the xb for its power), the new ia model is bland and basically pointless, nothing unique about the iM either. toyota almost competed with itself with these models

they abandoned everything that made the 1st generation a success, and started following the same business model as every other car company - which goes against everything they stood for in the beginning.

this sucks. i love my xb, and everything the brand stood for when they started. been riding since 07, put down every mile of the 137,000+ thats shown on my odo. i was planning on keeping my 1st gen forever, this only solidifies it.
dubeexb06, DickInABox and Elision like this.
post #26 of 59 Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM

/\/\ Agreed !!! I planed on keeping mine till it dies, we both die or .. Its just worn out !!!!!

---------- Post added 02-05-2016 at 02:27 PM ----------

Should be planned !!!
post #27 of 59 Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
I agree, I'm keeping mine long as I can.
post #28 of 59 Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
06xbox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji16 View Post
i could see this coming a mile away. their generations after the 1st were lackluster, with the xb going in a completely WRONG direction (how do you have a bigger car with LESS leg room inside?), steep decline in mpg, the much bigger motor was totally unnecessary (ZERO people bought the xb for its power), the new ia model is bland and basically pointless, nothing unique about the iM either. toyota almost competed with itself with these models

they abandoned everything that made the 1st generation a success, and started following the same business model as every other car company - which goes against everything they stood for in the beginning.

this sucks. i love my xb, and everything the brand stood for when they started. been riding since 07, put down every mile of the 137,000+ thats shown on my odo. i was planning on keeping my 1st gen forever, this only solidifies it.
In addition, the iA is basically a Mazda 2 sedan. Don't quite understand the need for a partnership with Mazda when Toyota was delivering great cars on their own.

What a great comment you make about how this now solidifies the reason to keep our 1st gens forever. I've owned a few cars but I cannot say I still loved them after many years. The 1st gen xB changed my whole perspective. I still love this car even after 10+ years. Best car I have owned hands down that meets my every expectation. I guess its a good thing I take exceptional care of my xB so it will last for many years to come.
dubeexb06 likes this.

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #29 of 59 Old 02-05-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I can understand Toyota's partnership with Mazda. There was a confluence of circumstances leading to that move:

Toyota needed a newer, more competitive car in that segment ("Yaris! It's a car!" might be one of the accurate advertising slogans ever, and that's part of the problem). That platform hasn't changed a whole lot since they introduced the Echo in the US for the 2000 model year. Hatchbacks, a few more airbags, and new electronic gadgets are about it for the significant changes over 15+ years. It's a good, reliable car, but it's outdated. And it's outclassed in many ways by most of its competitors.

That kind of wholesale redesign is extremely costly, and vehicles in the Yaris/Vitz segment are not very profitable in most places in the world, including (maybe especially) North America. Since other platforms/models are more profitable (trucks, SUVs, CUVs, the entire Lexus lineup), it makes business sense for Toyota to outsource design and production of a less-profitable platform.

It leaves factory capacity for Toyota to focus on those more profitable vehicle lines, though to a lesser extent than FCA recently announced (they're outsourcing both the next Dart and the next 200). With the dollar relatively strong (and the yen therefore weak), that Japanese capacity means even more profit on profitable vehicles for one of the company's more profitable markets. Profit, profit, profit. It IS all about the Benjamins.

Since the split from Ford, there have been concerns about Mazda's viability as an ongoing independent concern. Looking at other Japanese makes, Subaru is a subsidiary of Fuji heavy industries, so they can weather difficult times; Mitsubishi is in a similar position as a smaller division of a huge multi-faceted corporation; Suzuki is fairly popular just about everywhere but North America, and they have other product lines; Honda has several product lines beyond cars; Nissan's already buddied up with Renault (but is probably big enough worldwide to go it alone should the Renault partnership sour); and Toyota is one of the two largest car manufacturers on the planet - their size protects them in a lot of ways. Analysts believe that Mazda will survive in the long-term only through partnerships with other auto makers, so it really makes sense for both companies.

It also helped that Mazda decided not to bring the 2 to the US, meaning they wouldn't be competing with their own product rebadged as a Toyota.

Plus, every review I've read has stated or suggested the iA's driving dynamics would still be considered "good" at a price point several thousand dollars higher than it currently is. It's kind of a shrewd move here - bring it in as a Scion for a couple of years where its sales numbers will be lower so you can test the market and get your dealers' techs up to speed on the details of the SkyActiv engine, then let it replace the current (aging) Yaris with great fanfare.

As far as keeping mine goes, I'll treat it like any other car - I bought it because my old ride didn't meet some new needs, and I'll keep it as long as it continues to meet those needs and any others that crop up in the meantime.

-Shakespeare
post #30 of 59 Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM

You know that you will keep her till she dies or you do !!! LOL
post #31 of 59 Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Right now, I'm thinking rust or a wreck will be what ultimately gets me out of that car. It's too versatile not to keep, and at this point it's hard to imagine any other conditions causing me to let it go. My shortlist of possible new-ish replacements (should I need one and be in a position to afford one) are the Mazda CX-5 (with the MT, of course) and the Ford C-Max. I've driven a C-Max and really liked it. I might also consider the Kia Soul. Fuel-efficient hatchbacks FTW!

-Shakespeare
post #32 of 59 Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM

If and when I have to retire my Xb... I will be looking at an all electric car !!! But I am thinking that I have a lot of time ahead of me till this happens !!!
post #33 of 59 Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 AM
ClubxB's OG Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
bB626 will become famous soon enough bB626 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bB626 Send a message via MSN to bB626

Sounds like Yaris will get replaced with the iA. Can't have 2 sub-compact cars go against each other.

Johnny

JDM = Johnny Da Man

FUSCION
post #34 of 59 Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yes, the next Yaris in the US will be a rebadged Mazda2. It already is in Canada.

-Shakespeare
post #35 of 59 Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
BMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesthatsteve View Post
Yes, the next Yaris in the US will be a rebadged Mazda2. It already is in Canada.
If only they produced this one first

The 420 Horsepower Yaris Hybrid-R Is Like A Prius From Hell
dubeexb06 likes this.
post #36 of 59 Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Got email from dealership saying I could trade my 2010 xb for an iM with little or no money down. And payment staying about the same. BS. My reply,
I for one Do Not see myself supposedly upgrading my RS7 xB to an iM. If anything it is a down grade. I appreciate the phone calls and emails, but I will not be trading either of my xB's.
post #37 of 59 Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Makes me think they aren't selling well.
post #38 of 59 Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM

Have to agree with you on the iM !!!! I keep getting calls from the KIA dealer wanting my XB !!! I will keep mine for as long as I can !!!
post #39 of 59 Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Bock's Car

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
DickInABox is on a distinguished road

You know Toyota has it's head up it's butt when they kill off something the competition wants to buy.
post #40 of 59 Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
fastcarsfastride is on a distinguished road

I was really looking forward to a new xB until it was canned as well. I will miss the Scion logo at my dealership.
dubeexb06 and DickInABox like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page