The Economics of an XB/ Personal View - Scion xB Forum
General Scion xB Discussion For all other topics not covered in other Scion xB Forums, this is where you post General Scion xB topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Skyman is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
The Economics of an XB/ Personal View

Not being part of the 1percent of America my wife and I are careful with our finances. We are comfortable and do not stress at the end of the month but we look for ways to save and not be frivolous with our cash. We both retired a couple of years ago but my wife decided to go back to work so she has. Now we owned a F250 diesel truck while very capable of anything you asked of it fill ups where always a hundred dollar bill,,,plus. We were careful where we went and planned the stops. We averaged around a thousand miles a month so the idea was to buy a box and save a few more bucks a month. We figured the fuel bill would be less than half of what we were spending on the truck plus much easier to park (extended cab 4x4 8 foot bed). Little did we know how much fun the box is to drive. The thousand miles a month has jumped to 1500 hundred and road trips have become a weekend occurrence LOL. It always starts with what would you like to do today Hon? How about checking out the confederate battle grounds around Georgia? Ok we are out of here! We are still ahead of the fuel bill we used to have but not near where I thought we would be. Fuel is one thing now how about those mods. We haven’t really got started on that side yet,,,,, Did I mention we have started thinking about a second box? We have a few feelers out for another low milage box, just waiting on the right one to come along. To sum it up we are not realizing the savings we thought we would have BUT boy are we having FUN! (and yes I know we could go back to the old regime and plan everything out again but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose and fun of owning a box?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
DJArchngl is on a distinguished road
Re: The Economics of an XB/ Personal View

do you have a first gen or second gen?

Looking for:
chrome rear bumper guard
Red Genie sides and rear
Ny lip (PU ONLY)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough

It's hard to save money when the xB has a million cool parts for it. Luckily there are a lot of DIY things you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I am loving my 1st gen. xb! Yes it is hard to save with the box but in everyday life the grin is worth it. My wife and I are doing the day trips we only talked about now its lets go!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Rcdrift is on a distinguished road

As much as save in gas I spend way more the that on new mods
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

We purchased the box on the 3rd of September and while still getting to know each other we love this Box! Mods will come but with careful thought and reading as many threads on this forum about them as I can. So far,,, Viper remote start (removed) window visors (removed) and Mobile 1, k&n air filter, new plugs, fuel flush and carbon removal, brakes checked, cleaned and waxed. Pretty small list huh but it will grow and you are right,,,,, the savings will go back in to the box!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough

I always wanted remote start.

The only good visors are the bB OEM or E'Sam, or Esma style (cheapest option)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The remote start is a great option to have. We had it on our Subaru's in Alaska and it was great to be able to fire up the car and have the windshield clear and the car warm when you crawled in. The same goes for those hot summer months climbing into a cool car. Thanks for the tip on the visors. The ones I bought were crap. Did not like them at all, fit etc. They lasted maybe an hour before they were pulled off.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2016, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Gti5notrkt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post

Not being part of the 1percent of America my wife and I are careful with our finances. We are comfortable and do not stress at the end of the month but we look for ways to save and not be frivolous with our cash. We both retired a couple of years ago but my wife decided to go back to work so she has. Now we owned a F250 diesel truck while very capable of anything you asked of it fill ups where always a hundred dollar bill,,,plus. We were careful where we went and planned the stops. We averaged around a thousand miles a month so the idea was to buy a box and save a few more bucks a month. We figured the fuel bill would be less than half of what we were spending on the truck plus much easier to park (extended cab 4x4 8 foot bed). Little did we know how much fun the box is to drive. The thousand miles a month has jumped to 1500 hundred and road trips have become a weekend occurrence LOL. It always starts with what would you like to do today Hon? How about checking out the confederate battle grounds around Georgia? Ok we are out of here! We are still ahead of the fuel bill we used to have but not near where I thought we would be. Fuel is one thing now how about those mods. We haven’t really got started on that side yet,,,,, Did I mention we have started thinking about a second box? We have a few feelers out for another low milage box, just waiting on the right one to come along. To sum it up we are not realizing the savings we thought we would have BUT boy are we having FUN! (and yes I know we could go back to the old regime and plan everything out again but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose and fun of owning a box?)
What price is happiness? That extra 500mi a month put smiles on your faces. I hope that when I retire I have a spouse that continues to share the miles and times with me.

2012 xB
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page