Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lady Meg will become famous soon enough
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Meg
(Thread Starter)
Post Expertly Inexperienced: When wiring modifications attack

I knew it was only a matter of time before my alarm install mishap came back to haunt me. But to be fair, it has been 5 months and a cross-country journey later before a problem has come up. As my new mantra goes, it could always be worse. This was relatively simple to deal with.

Especially when I have an awesome big brother that insists on looking over anything that concerns my car.

It really didn't come as much of a surprise when the amber bulbs that light up the HVAC controls and my speedometer in my '06 xB started to flicker on my way home from a friend's one night, recently, completely turning off by the time I reached my destination. At any previous point in my life, something like this would have caused me to have a panic attack and choose to park on the side of the road until help would come to my rescue. But I've come a long way and after having spent some time getting to know my box, it was simply a matter of thinking rationally over what I knew (which still isn't a hell of a lot, to be honest) and not getting worked up.

My first concern was to make sure that the headlights weren't cutting out, too, but it seemed they were unaffected. So that was good. Even at this early point, I had a sneaky suspicion that this might be a result of the wire I completely Frankenstein-ed when I installed the factory alarm system back in September. My suspicion was strengthened when the lights all came back on after I knocked on the underside of the steering column, in the vicinity of the wire and connector I had so horrendously molested.

Said molested connector, picture taken 9/2011

Since I am now within a short driving distance to my favorite mechanic, my big brother who is constantly tinkering with his own cars, I shot him a text once I got home and requested his assistance for the next day.

And my suspicions were entirely founded, upon removing the panel from the underside of the steering column and finding this:

See anything familiar?

Yes, this is my handiwork. The product of my terrible attempt to splice a connector back to the corresponding wire that is apparently an integral part of my interior lighting wiring. Only someone like me could quite literally cut it this close.

But fear not! My brother is awesome and didn't want to risk me screwing it up beyond repair, so he took matters into his own hands. And yes, I did protest this. I feel like I'm doing my readers and myself a disservice by allowing someone else to work on my car when I'm perfectly capable... but considering the original cause for this particular malady, I had to agree that it was best for him to work his magic.

After taking the pin out of the connector, he proceeded to pull all of the copper wiring out of it with pliers, one filament at a time. This was done so that he could recreate the actual connection between wire and pin, instead of trying to splice the mess together again.

The things my brother will do to help me out. <3

The actual wire to be connected was then stripped further back, and much neater than I had done, in order to clamp it to the connector pin. And then folded back to create a thicker, more substantial stem to clamp to.

Then the pin was clamped to the wires successfully, and the pin reinserted into the connector. To be safe, electrical tape was wrapped to secure all parts and to make sure no contact is made between the wires and surrounding material.

I circled the finished connector/wire that was worked on in red.

And voila! Potential disaster averted and wiring failure corrected! Since this quick-fix, I haven't even had a flicker in my back-lighting. So what did I learn from this little mishap, other than that it is absolutely amazing to have my big brother just down the road to help me out? I learned that, as I've come to do and learn more on my xB, the easier it is for me to handle/deal/process when something unexpected pops up. And this will only get better as my relationship with my car progresses. This is yet another of the many reasons that I highly encourage any car owner, regardless of make or model, roll up their sleeves and become familiar with the in's and out's of their vehicle.

~It never fails, I'm almost always in some sort of crisis. lol~

I <3 HFD

Last edited by Lady Meg; 03-02-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Zman will become famous soon enough Zman will become famous soon enough
Re: Expertly Inexperienced: When wiring modifications attack

I've learned that the hard way, it's much easier in the end to do it right the first time. Every crimp counts!
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Needing Toaster Time

Garage
(Thread Starter)

It's not so much that I did it *wrong*, per se... lol Just that I didn't do it entirely right.

But it's also important to have the right tools, which I also didn't have at the time. Heck, to this day I STILL can't find a wiring terminal tool without looking online!

I <3 HFD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 AM
ClubxB's OG Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
bB626 will become famous soon enough bB626 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bB626 Send a message via MSN to bB626

Awesome story!

Johnny

JDM = Johnny Da Man

FUSCION
post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

It is so cool that you are getting to know your ride inside and out - literally!

Great write-up as usual, Megan.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Meg.. Tool mlike that areb getting harder to fnd !! Great write up too !!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Needing Toaster Time

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thank you, guys! I appreciate the read.

I seriously cannot find that terminal tool anywhere... might have to try some uber-specialty electronics stores here pretty soon. Something tells me I may want to keep that one handy, if I can get my hands on it at all!

I <3 HFD
post #8 of 14 Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM

dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

In have had mine for years !!
post #9 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Hot Mess <3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ObsessedArt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ObsessedArt

Great post as always.... But seriously meg!... Do you mean to tell me that i could have removed the panel under the steering wheel and i dint have to become a contortionist in order to get under there when i installed mine??

post #10 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Yes you can do it if yur flexable !!!
post #11 of 14 Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Hot Mess <3

ObsessedArt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ObsessedArt

i hurt so bad in that position for that long i didn't know my spine could bend that way

post #12 of 14 Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM

I feel your pain as I knew this spot would be tight !!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM
BPG

BPG is on a distinguished road

I just finished self-installing my alarm system! I ended up completely removed the upper dash pad which SHOULD HAVE BEEN the first step in the detailed instructions (36 pages) downloaded from a web site. This easy proceedure made it much eaiser doing the upper snap-in connectors. The other really difficult problem was trying to get the green w/white trace wire out of the connector block mounted on the Combination headlight switch. After pushing a jewelers screwdriver into the slot below the connector I finally felt the tab, pushed down and it slid out (this process took over 1.5 hours!) Very frustrating. It took me about three 8 hour days - I consider myself experienced but really slow

Still Crazy After All These Years
post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Needing Toaster Time

Garage
(Thread Starter)
But congrats on a successful install! I guess removing the upper probably would have made the process simpler, but I DO have a knack for overcomplicating everything... Which also extends into my personal life. Lol

Well done!

~(Sent on my Windows phone using Board Express/Tapatalk)~

I <3 HFD
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page