Scion xB Forum banner

30 MPG Club for XB2

25K views 135 replies 26 participants last post by  buy128heineken 
#1 ·
Who else is working for better MPG for their XB 2 !!!!

Greeting, as most of you know we have 2 xbs !! I have worked really had to get over 30 MPG out of my wifes xb2 !! Well after a long trip I did get 31.8 MPG !! I drove 1941 miles and used 61 gallon of gas, best part was the average price of gas per gallon was $3.17 !!

#4 ·
Over the past two highway runs I have made. The first we managed 33.4mpg. 2008 auto, short ram intake w/ K&N filter, 17" wheels. All corrections were made in the mileage when I did the math. The most recent trip we averaged 70mph with 4 adults and a toddler and averaged 34.2mpg. I am pleased with the highway numbers...now if only the city portion would come up to match lol!

#133 ·
I can never get more than 28 mpg downhill with a tailwind with 16" Goodyear Assurance tires at 36 psi on flat open interstate with 91 octane Chevron gas and a can of SeaFoam in the tank. How in the heck do you get 33.4 when my 2008 and 2009 Xb runs $3K RPM plus at 75-80 MPH? Thanks.

#9 ·
I have been kicking mine in neutral going down hills. Have finally been able to creep back up to 28mpg with the 18's on it. I'm running 36psi right now. Will increase to 40. It def doesn't coast like it did on stock 16's.

#18 ·
I agree. I run only city driving and get 18 to 20. Best run produced 22

I admit I do drive the XB hard:)

#17 ·
Im decently heavy-footed on my 08 5 speed, but theres a couple things that help, and I'm at 28 MPG with all city driving.

I use cruise control almost all the time, whenever im going to be going a consistent speed, its on. even if its 35 MPH.

When you coast, keep it in gear. With modern cars the fuel injectors shut down when you take your foot off the gas, and the car being in gear keeps the engine running, but isnt using fuel. To prove this to yourself, get going about 35, and toss it into neutral and watch the Tach. Your RPM will drop to about 600, then jump up to around 1200. This happens because when the engine drops down that low, it kicks the injectors back on to keep the engine running. keep it in gear and you'll save gas.

first and second gear i'll actually wrap it up to around 4,000 RPM before I shift, but I get into a high gear as quick as I can after that.

I'm interested in putting a cover across the bottom of the car for aero purposes, because i've found i get barely more MPG on the highway than I do in town, but I live in the plains so the winds are a BEAST out here.

:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.