LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Goodbye, Salsa Red

This is a sad post for me to write. My beloved Salsa Red Toaster was crushed a couple of weekends ago in an accident. We didn't stand a chance against an Explorer.

Driver (me) was ok, outside of sore muscles. Dog, too. Air bags did their job, along with seat belt.

What I noticed was that despite the horrific impact up front, the cabin stayed intact. I used to think the car was a bit tinny and prone to dents. But the passenger areas held up very well.

I've been looking for another first generation xB, but it's hard to find another one with low miles, like mine. But searching is half the fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: Goodbye, Salsa Red

Here are some pics. The box absorbed the impact on front and the side, and then it spun around several times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	64418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	64434  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
06xbox is on a distinguished road

Man that sucks... Glad your okay, that is the most important thing. Very sad to see another 1st gen xB gone. Lots of accidents recently it seems like. Especially those members who are very active on this forum.

I know Steve had his xB totaled a few months ago also. Hope you can find a replacement xB. There is a recently listed 2006 xB in my area at a local dealership with around 42k miles but they want like $8,000.

How many miles did you have on your xB? Was it an auto or manual?

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

^^^

Yes, I was thinking about yesthatsteve's thread about it buffing right out. Similar logistics with my accident, accept the other person was moving like a rocket, accelerating through impact. Young driver, who confused the brake and gas pedals. Uggh.

I had 88k miles. I would have lasted for 250k easy. I know that's speculation, but the car never gave me a single problem, and my other Toyotas all lasted that long. I knew all along that the book value was lower than what my car was worth.

Generally speaking, the book value seems to be in the $3-4k range, while the boxes in good shape seem to be in the $6-$9k price range. And the supply is very limited, which probably also drives up the price. Which dealership and which town is that box available? I might have to check it out.

I'm driving a rented Corolla now. Excellent engine. I wish Scion put that Eco trim engine in an upgraded 1st generations- of course, that's just wishful thinking. Every other car seems cramped, compared to the box, which is strange since it's a subcompact.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 09:03 PM ----------

Edit: I see you're in Ohio. I think I might have seen it on Autotrader.

Autotrader and CarFax are the used car sites that I'm using. Are there any others?

I plan on taking a long drive or a flight to buy another box. There are never any good one available in my state.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

Sorry about your loss and another 1st GEN XB has died !! Mine just turned 81 k but happy that you and your dog are good !! Funny that the windshield did not crack or break !! Hope you will be able to find one that suits you as they are getting harder to find for sure !! Do you plan on parting her out?? Just thinking out loud !!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
04LavaXB is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad all are OK. Also, sad to see a Salsa Red 1st generation gone.

I noticed this 2006 xB in local D.C. craigslist. It needs minor rear bumper work, but it's a good price and only has 55K. Plus it appears to have been garaged most of it's life. The seller originally had it listed at $3,000, now it's at $3,500, not sure why, maybe too many low-ball offers. It's worth a look.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...967218050.html

Best of luck.

2004 Hot Lava RS 1.0 #1016 - Automatic - 2004-04 to 2007-11 (bought & sold)
2004 Hot Lava RS 1.0 #884 - 5-speed - 2013-01 (bought & still own)
post #7 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road

Another box gives it's life to save its owner. I am constantly amazed at how well our lil boxes protect us. Just another reason to find a replacement.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubeexb06 View Post
Sorry about your loss and another 1st GEN XB has died !! Mine just turned 81 k but happy that you and your dog are good !! Funny that the windshield did not crack or break !! Hope you will be able to find one that suits you as they are getting harder to find for sure !! Do you plan on parting her out?? Just thinking out loud !!
Ha ha, good point that the much maligned windshield didn't even have a crack. It was the first time I've had the air bags go off, I didn't feel a thing, nor did I realize it happened until after the car stopped and I saw it deflated over the dashboard. I'm glad it wasn't my Honda, as I haven't complied with the Takata air bag recall yet.

Thanks for the suggestions on low mileage xB's around the country.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough dubeexb06 will become famous soon enough

DAMN !!! You may not be here right now if you had the Honda !!! Happy that you and the dog are doing well !!!
post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Assault & Battery

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lenin Parada is on a distinguished road
Garage

Sorry to hear dude. Glad you and the pup came out with minor injuries and nothing serious. Sending positive vibes, and here's to a speedy recovery *raises beer*

Atmospheric Blackened Death Metal from Fredericksburg, VA/USA
https://www.facebook.com/Archael
post #11 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Is your heart set on buying another used 1st gen? Or would you look at buying a new car?

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #12 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06xbox View Post
Is your heart set on buying another used 1st gen? Or would you look at buying a new car?
I feel like YesthatSteve did after he lost his box to a crash. We both increased the percentage of our highway driving and the high revving 1NZ-FE engine isn't ideally suited for that.

My heart is definitely set on another first gen. But the price of the good ones, compared to their fair market book value is out of whack. There's a gorgeous '06 offered by CarMax, but they want $12,000 with their no haggle pricing. Ugh.

There has been so much advancements among the engines with Toyota. From wiki, the current Corolla sold in Japan still uses our 1NZ-FE engine. But the engine in the US Corolla is very advanced. The rpm's range on my rented Corolla is between 1,800-2,200 when I'm cruising from 60-75 mph. I keep on looking at the tachometer, thinking it is malfunctioning. Can anyone confirm this is accurate?

I feel cramped inside most other cars and miss the nice seating position and roominess of the xB. Ideally, I'd like to have a 1st Gen with a modern engine- even though that's not possible. I'm not going to buy a new car. Right now, I'm looking at a 1st Gen xB and a 2nd Gen Honda Fit. Pre-owned Fits have the same issue with the pricing being higher than the book values. Plus, Fit owners seem to make their cars the workhorse and it's even more challenging to find them with low miles at a fair price.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonxb View Post
I feel like YesthatSteve did after he lost his box to a crash. We both increased the percentage of our highway driving and the high revving 1NZ-FE engine isn't ideally suited for that.

My heart is definitely set on another first gen. But the price of the good ones, compared to their fair market book value is out of whack. There's a gorgeous '06 offered by CarMax, but they want $12,000 with their no haggle pricing. Ugh.

There has been so much advancements among the engines with Toyota. From wiki, the current Corolla sold in Japan still uses our 1NZ-FE engine. But the engine in the US Corolla is very advanced. The rpm's range on my rented Corolla is between 1,800-2,200 when I'm cruising from 60-75 mph. I keep on looking at the tachometer, thinking it is malfunctioning. Can anyone confirm this is accurate?

I feel cramped inside most other cars and miss the nice seating position and roominess of the xB. Ideally, I'd like to have a 1st Gen with a modern engine- even though that's not possible. I'm not going to buy a new car. Right now, I'm looking at a 1st Gen xB and a 2nd Gen Honda Fit. Pre-owned Fits have the same issue with the pricing being higher than the book values. Plus, Fit owners seem to make their cars the workhorse and it's even more challenging to find them with low miles at a fair price.
I would check out the Scion iM or the Corolla iM if you can afford it or are interested. I convinced my father into buying a 2017 Corolla iM. After test driving the regular Corolla and the Corolla iM, the difference to me was night and day in terms of quality and even performance of the iM, in my opinion. I think its really the best new hatchback Toyota model available. Great pricing and lots of enhancements. I know if I was in the market right now for a new car, I would definitely be checking out the Corolla iM since I am pretty much a Toyota product owner for life.

Just a suggestion. I think the iM has traits that remind me of the 1st gen xB and is still built in Japan at a great price point. However, I don't think anything will ever compare to the roominess of the 1st gen xB. I have to agree with you there. I do like the seating position and roominess of the 1st gen xB also.

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #14 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I really like the iM.

However, my requirements are 30-35 mpg and a ton of cargo room to haul things (I drive and deliver boxes and stuff for a living). Plus, ironclad reliability. I used to drive a '00 Forester, and it had to have a rebuilt engine at 100k miles and only averaged ~22 mpg. So, I really loved the toaster.

The only two cars that satisfied these requirements were the 1st gen xB and the Honda Fit. The Corolla iM isn't boxy enough- meaning it cannot carry enough tall boxes.

My dilemma is that I also wanted a stick for performance and fun factor, but enjoyed the lower highway rpm's for the AT. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, but both the xB and Fit have higher rpms associated with the MT.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Pishtaco

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
BestmpgxB will become famous soon enough

Have you considered the (shudder) Hamster car? Kia's reliability has massively improved, and the Soul is the only xB1 heritage vehicle left in the US market. IDK what its MT gearing is like, but it can't be worse than our xB1s, and you know what I got with mine.
TrickyHoudini likes this.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
49.2 mpg avg over 58,800 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Boycotting Exxon/Mobil since 1989, BP/ARCO/Amoco since 2010

See my cross-country trip report here, & my 1000 km tank here.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
04LavaXB is on a distinguished road

Remarkably, there are no replacements for the original xB available today. The Kia Soul and Honda Fit are spiritually similar. An OK option (minus the 30+ gas mileage and minus the manual transmission option) is the 2017 Ford Transit Connect Passenger Wagon XL.

2017 Ford® Transit Connect XL Passenger Van | Model Highlights | Ford.com

That or the Ford C-Max.

2017 Ford® C-MAX Hybrid & Plug-In Hybrid | Option to Plug In—Or Not | Ford.com

Maybe the Fiat 500L...

FIAT - Build & Price - Select Model
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	64482  

2004 Hot Lava RS 1.0 #1016 - Automatic - 2004-04 to 2007-11 (bought & sold)
2004 Hot Lava RS 1.0 #884 - 5-speed - 2013-01 (bought & still own)
post #17 of 19 Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Darrell, I would take a Kia Soul over the Nissan Cube. And you're right that the Soul's reliability is improved over the previous Kia models. But, I am not confident enough to go that route- even though I have been browsing the Souls. They are fairly priced, compared to our Scions.

I am still patiently waiting for a decent 1st gen to show up. My Salsa Red was purchased from a private seller- who was the original owner and she had every service receipt in servicing the xB. That's ideally what I'm looking for. I saw some xB's for sale that has had 3-5 owners already.

04LavaxB, yep, I looked at those models, also. Here's what the '17 bB looks like in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	420px-2005_Toyota_bB_03.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	64490  
TrickyHoudini likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-09-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Here an update on Consumer Reports reliability rankings.

Lexus and Toyota were #1 and #2 , once again.

Kia is #5 , with Honda dropping to #1 0.

I was looking at a 2nd generation Fit or a first generation xB. But it appears that the first generation Souls are just as reliable as the Fits.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Update: I received a generous insurance check of slightly above $7,500 for my 2006 Salsa Red with ~88k miles. While, I was very pleased with the check, the very good first gens were priced too high compared to their KBB book values.

I looked at a lot of makes and models, and narrowed it down to the first gens, Fits, Insights, and Prius. Soaked up information on message boards for each of those cars, which is something I enjoy doing regardless. I was really focused on staying within the value of my insurance check. At the end of the day, I paid more and purchased a private party 2014 Prius with 30k miles and extended warranty.

I still check in here to see what's up because there's good info. And I still miss my toaster- it was one of my favorite cars that I have ever owned. I'll probably end up buying an older one with a stick one of these days- or even better, Toyota brings it back as a new and modern bB.
Greatzky likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page