Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
yesthatsteve is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
That'll Buff Right Out...

Maybe not.

While I was driving home from my daughter's induction into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, someone who is obviously not a member of that organization ran a stop sign right in front of me.

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161002_15_03_56_Pro.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	62706  

Suit the action to the word, the word to the action.
-Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road
Re: That'll Buff Right Out...

OUCH, glad you are alright Steve. That has to hurt.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #3 of 32 Old 10-02-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks. I'm OK, but will probably be sore tomorrow.

-Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-02-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
06xbox is on a distinguished road

Most importantly, I hope you are alright and others who were in the car.

As for the xB, that stinks. Do you think the insurance company will total the car? Or are you going to try and hang on to it and rebuild it?

What was the other person driving?

06.5 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #5 of 32 Old 10-02-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I was alone in the car on my way home - everyone is OK, even the other driver.

I'm pretty sure the insurance company will total it. Front bumper, hood, headlights, radiator, and condenser were all ruined. Something got jammed against the throttle and it was forced wide open. The car came to rest after impact revving at the red line. Turned it off and on again, and straight to red line.

I'm not going to rebuild - since my new job has a longer commute and fewer opportunities to work from home, I really don't have as much time as I'd need to do it fairly quickly. Plus, my wife does NOT want a project sitting in the driveway for months on end (unless it's a convertible that she looks good driving, like a Jag XK8). Today's events just accelerated the timeline for my xB replacement. The last line of my original post is from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Other guy was driving a 2002 Accord.

I borrowed my parents' LeSabre until I can get into a rental car, and then I'll take my time finding a replacement. Just my luck that my car gets totaled two days after the close of the new-car sales quarter.

-Shakespeare
post #6 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Undercover Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough DTRAIN619 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

As it's been said, glad you're okay, Brother Steve. Having come close to having my box totaled after the last accident, I feel your pain (especially the post-accident soreness).

However, that does not excuse you from contributing to this site, plus I'll still be needing your help to hunt down spammers!

Keep us posted. Oh yeah, kudos to your daughter.
post #7 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM
ClubxB's OG Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
bB626 will become famous soon enough bB626 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bB626 Send a message via MSN to bB626

Glad you're alright.

With that said...

God damn it!!!

Johnny

JDM = Johnny Da Man

FUSCION
post #8 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Crew Chief for Loaned xB

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Myopic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesthatsteve View Post
Maybe not.

While I was driving home from my daughter's induction into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, someone who is obviously not a member of that organization ran a stop sign right in front of me.

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Hope you did not feel the accident too much today. Congratulations to your daughter; those accomplishments make a father all the more proud.

As you observed, the other driver apparently was spared the burden of intellect. As Spicoli said, "People on 'ludes should not drive".

Sorry to see the box totaled.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
jdmtoaster is on a distinguished road

sorry about the box, good to hear youre alright that could have been bad.. maybe you can try to part out the rest of the car?
post #10 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the kind wishes and the congratulations for my daughter. I'm surprisingly OK today. I think the other guy zipped across the intersection so quickly that I didn't have much time to tense up in preparation for impact.

Myopic, that Spicoli quote comes in the movie maybe a minute before the beginning of the clip I embedded above.

For replacements, I'm debating between three options: new, off-lease, or a beater that I drive for a couple of months to make sure it's sorted out, give it to my son, and THEN buy new or off-lease (or another beater).

-Shakespeare
post #11 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road

Wow, sorry to hear about the accident. At least everyone was uninjured. And congrats on your daughter's accomplishment.

Too bad about your son not getting the box now. He was going to get a very reliable and well maintained car from you. Now, I guess you have to search for 2 cars.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 07:57 PM ----------

Oh, and my vote goes to finding a first gen xB in great condition. Keep it for a bit. Drive it yourself, do the necessary maintenance, and give it to your son. After all, you are very familiar to what needs to be done and remember that he doesn't want to drive an old man's car!

Then find a creampuff xB with low miles from an elderly woman and hang onto it for yourself.

And buy the damaged xB from the insurance company, if you can get a very good deal, and use it for parts.
post #12 of 32 Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

In the next few weeks, if I can find an automatic first gen in good shape that isn't insanely overpriced, I'll get it with the intention to pass it to my son. He was not looking forward to driving a car with a manual transmission between my house and my ex-wife's once or twice a week (at ~32 miles each way).

For me, I'll get something quiet. Driving my parents' '05 LeSabre to work today convinced me that quiet is the way to go, and that car has more miles than my xB did. I also didn't miss rowing my own gears on the commute. The drive was way more relaxing with that car than it has been with the xB, or even the couple of times I've driven my wife's '11 Accord. The seat in that Buick sucks balls, though. There's no seat back behind my shoulder blades, and I need upper back support when I drive.

I doubt I'll get another xB for me to drive long-term. Creampuff examples of the first gen are crazy overpriced. I'm not paying 50% or more of original sticker for 10-13 year-old cars. I've seen a few advertised at five figures, and that's just insane.

-Shakespeare
post #13 of 32 Old 10-06-2016, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
mazinger357 is on a distinguished road

Glad you're ok, sorry about your xB, I just purchased another 2006 xb for my daughter last Saturday, driving it today I almost got into an accident, I was making a left turn and I thought I have a left turn green arrow signal, good thing the lady that I cut off stop and I was just stunned on how I could made that terrible mistake, she didn't even blow her car horn, just got lucky, be safe out there.
post #14 of 32 Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
wagonbldr is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about a 2nd gen? Rides smoother than a 1st gen.

RS 2.0 #923
RS 7.0 #528
Just another Wonderful day in Paradise, now watch some SOB try to ruin it.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
mazinger357 is on a distinguished road

We did though about getting 2nd gen xB, supposed to be mine and kids getting he gen1, but we end up getting the xD for the high schooler, I kept xB
thought it's less hp 103, it's fun to drive and modifying, plus 2nd gen has less MPG, we're considering getting a cube or copper, but heard problems wih cube cvt transmission and hardware, copper has expensive parts, besides I told my wife and kids, I have lots of aftermarket parts and lifetime replacement parts at autozone, and problems that I could fix myself.

right now, she's very happy with the 2006 blue onyx.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 04:10 AM ----------

LOL , just realize the suggestion was for yessteve, sorry, it's 2am just finish programming the remote for the new xb
post #16 of 32 Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

2nd gen has never really appealed to me - I'm not trying to offend fans, but it's just not my thing.

I think I'm going with an off-lease Buick LaCrosse with eAssist. 36 mpg highway, roomy, quiet, and loads of creature comforts, just what I need to take me well into my 50s.

Apparently the other driver is still dodging calls from State Farm's claims department. I had to use my own credit card to rent a car this week. If he hasn't talked to the adjuster by Monday, I'll contact my agent and have my insurer subrogate.

-Shakespeare
post #17 of 32 Old 10-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Crew Chief for Loaned xB

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Myopic is on a distinguished road

I agree about the automotive creature comforts. My Outback addresses those for me; but I sure like the xB.

Sorry to read you not only are dealing with a dumbass driver, but also one who appears to be a slug about performing his responsibility to you. Hope this does not become too aggravating before it is finished.
post #18 of 32 Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

It won't get too aggravating. I've known my agent for over 40 years, and once I turn it over to him, he'll make sure I'm sorted out. I only reached out to State Farm on my own in the hopes that I could resolve everything quickly and not be out my deductible while the two insurance companies wrangled over the details. Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen now.

-Shakespeare
post #19 of 32 Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road

First, you're lucky the other driver had insurance.

I bought my xB with the insurance money given to me when my previous car was totaled. But the other driver dragged his feet forever and wouldn't respond to the insurance company's calls.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten my agent involved from the beginning. My hunch is that if the other driver is avoiding the calls, he is going to continue to do so.

Assuming the box is paid off, and the other driver has insurance....why would there be a deductible? I'm assuming that the other insurance company will just cut a check to you- either to fix or to replace the car.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 10:49 AM ----------

And that is outstanding highway mpg for the Buick. And an easy ride, too.

What's eAssist? Is that technology to help the car get moving, which should really help city mpg?
post #20 of 32 Old 10-11-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

When you subrogate (have your insurer pursue a claim on your behalf) in KS and MO, your insurer withholds your deductible until they're paid by the other driver's insurer. Not exactly sure why, but it's standard practice here. I was trying to avoid that by initiating a claim against his policy. Since the other dude still hadn't responded to his insurer's multiple attempts to contact him by phone and mail, I decided on Saturday to go through my insurer, and will be out my deductible until they get paid.

The LaCrosse is an easy riding car. The Carmax a couple of miles from my office is transferring in a '13 off-lease with 19k miles. It's a base model with cloth seats, but I sweat too much in a leather seat. The only thing from the higher trim levels that I want is a backup camera, because visibility through that rear windshield is awful. That said, I can order one on Amazon for less than a hundred bucks. The batteries for the eAssist take a couple of cubic feet of trunk space compared to the V6, but that's not a big deal.

GM's eAssist is a "soft hybrid," where the electric motor doesn't drive the wheels by itself, but instead supplements the gasoline motor, and reduces its effort. EPA ratings for the '13 model year are 25/36 for the 2.4L Ecotec w/eAssist, and 17/27 for the V6. I didn't notice much difference in power and acceleration, probably because the eAssist model has 251 ft-lb of torque, compared to 264 for the V6.

-Shakespeare

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page