That'll Buff Right Out... - Page 2 - Scion xB Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Namida12 is on a distinguished road
Re: That'll Buff Right Out...

Enjoy your new ride, my 2006 Silver xB 5 speed took a long time to find after my 400,000 mile well kept 2006 low to the ground corolla, became an ugly smashed still drive-able vehicle that was totaled by the responsible parties insurance. Everyone wanted to much for an xB, or the car was in horrid condition.

I was eventually lucky and found an xB that was serviced continually in Southern California, for less than Blue Book price. I have had the car a year, and understand why they are so fun to drive, yep I was very late to the xB show, but am enjoying this fun toy. Do not know if I could give up the peppy acceleration, five speed or the terrific head room I am enjoying when driving. I use my bicycle for the commute here in Las Vegas, yes, easy to ride here all year (Summer early arrival, is pleasant).

In July took a 4,000 mile 3 week holiday with bicycle on rack and enjoyed life with my lady and friend from Japan. Car held 3 of us with bicycles in light weight comport, from Las Vegas, to Seattle, Yellowstone, Canyon Land, Petrified Forest, and Sedona, before finally returning to Las Vegas. Car performed well, we had fun, and enjoyed riding our bicycles in a lot of different locations.

Seeing your box smashed, brought tears to my eyes, as I have fallen head over heels, absolutely in love with my new to me box.

Glad you recovered, and are OK!

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
melonxb is on a distinguished road

I guess where you live has a big impact on the preowned xB market. I spend all of my time in Las Vegas and Southern California. Those two states appear to have the biggest inventory, imo. But it is harder to find a box that is in excellent condition and the body seems very vulnerable to getting dinged up and scratched.

Steve, that eAssist seems like a must have feature. I understand how it can help with the city mpg. But how does that help so much with the highway mpg? That's a 33% increase with eAssist!
post #23 of 32 Old 10-12-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
yesthatsteve is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)

That 33% compares two different engines. 27 mpg highway is with the 3.6L V6. 36 mpg comes with the 2.4L inline 4 plus eAssist. I'll have to see what the real-world figures look like for me, but I'm hoping for 32-ish until I figure out what driving style works best for that drivetrain.

For comparison, my wife's '11 Accord with the 2.4L I4 & a 5-speed automatic is rated at 23/34, and she typically sees around 30 mpg overall with no real consideration for how her driving affects fuel economy.

Adjuster called on the xB: no surprise; it's a total loss. I'll have the initial valuation tomorrow or Friday, and take it from there.

Suit the action to the word, the word to the action.
-Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Hey Steve, I've always wondered how the xB would hold up in an accident. It's supposedly held together with plastic clips and doesn't seem as solid as many other cars.

After going through one unharmed, what was your reaction? About what you'd expect? Or better or worse?
post #25 of 32 Old 10-12-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I'm kind of surprised the airbags didn't deploy, given the damage behind the bumper & grille. Other than that, it did what it was supposed to do - keep the passenger cabin intact at impacts in that speed range. The driver's door opened with no problem. The passenger front door needed a little effort, but not a huge amount.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mercedes Benz for inventing crumple zones, ABS, and seat belt pre-tensioners.

-Shakespeare
post #26 of 32 Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Friday update: my insurance company's first valuation was within the range my research indicated was acceptable. I picked up the check this afternoon.

-Shakespeare
post #27 of 32 Old 10-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Nice, your experience with the insurance company could have been worse.

I hope you're able to find a nice xB for your son, still. You should keep this thread going.
post #28 of 32 Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

You're right, melon; it could have been much worse. If I were still dealing with the other guy's insurance company, I wouldn't have my '13 LaCrosse sitting in the driveway right now (picked it up this evening). I'd still be in a rental on my credit card, and they'd still be trying to get him to return their calls while not doing anything about my claim in the meantime.

The first six days after the crash, dealing with his insurer, produced zero results. The next six days, dealing with my insurer, produced a check in hand, and the peace of mind that I can let my people chase that guy and his insurer.

---------- Post added 10-15-2016 at 10:13 PM ----------

I'll have to see what I can find for my son. I think it's going to be a matter of, "This is my budget. What's the best car available for that amount?"

-Shakespeare
post #29 of 32 Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM

Nice, Steve.

I going to go on a limb and say you'll be one of the younger posters on the Buick forums!
post #30 of 32 Old 10-17-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Not by much. Buick's managed to lower the average age of their buyers to 58. Two years ago, it was 60. I'm 49.

Lowering the average age like that makes their decision to discontinue the Verano a bit puzzling. It's a great entry-level luxury small car, and a good way to introduce younger buyers into the brand. A guy I work with has one, and he bought it new at age 33. Riding with him to lunch a couple of times is what convinced me to look at Buick in the first place.
post #31 of 32 Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Around 8 years ago, I rented a first generation LaCrosse while traveling in Indiana. It was one of the most comfortable cars I have driven on the freeway. There was a strict speed limit of 70 and the car felt like it was hardly breaking a sweat.

So, you'll love the ride for your type of commute.
post #32 of 32 Old 10-17-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Dead box

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Mine is a gem on the highway. It's getting 4100+ pounds (the big car, fuel, and my fat arse) up to speed that's a killer. Even with the boost from the electric motor, the instant mpg gauge dips pretty low accelerating from low (or no) speed.

-Shakespeare

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page