Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Scion xB - Generations > 1st Gen: 2003 - 2007 Scion xB > Scion xB Interior
Scion xB Interior There's no arguing that there's plenty of room inside the Scion xB interior. Which is why the Scion xB interior deserves an entire forum of it's own. Here you can discuss any customizing you have done to the interior of your Scion xB.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
CargoBox

CargoBox is on a distinguished road
Question Completely flat fold down rear seats?

Before you begin reading I must warn you, i am a newb, grom, donkey, whatever other name you might have for one with little experience..

I just bought my 06 gen 1 xb a few weeks back and use my it as the worlds littlest box van. I haul about 500lbs of audio equipment to gigs within the bay area and my problem is that im afraid im going to ruin my back seats when they are folded down.

I'm thinking about completely replacing the back seats with ones the fold completely flat unlike the almost flat. With the weight i have in my box the seats will bend completely flat but that looks like its putting a lot of pressure on them. Or is there a way to mod out my original seats to fold flat?

The upholstery can be saved by putting down a mat but i'm afraid the springs in the seat might get crushed. So im trying to think of creative ways to save the seats? maybe hard plastic backing so the weight distributes evenly?

I'd love to hear any advice. Thanks guys, you seem to be a really quality community!
CargoBox is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough
Re: Completely flat fold down rear seats?

Why don't you remove the rear seats completely together with the storage and spare tire trays?
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
CargoBox

It's my personal use car as well so i like beable to have passengers. My old vehicle was a truck and I wanted best of both worlds.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

The seats are all foam. You could cut a panel out of plywood to throw on top to save the upholstery. Or do good old blue tarp
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
BestmpgxB
Pishtaco

BestmpgxB will become famous soon enough

The way to get the rear seats completely flat is to remove the seat covers and shave the extraneous foam away. But it doesn't sound like a flat cargo area is your real concern.

You won't harm your stock seats at all by stacking 500 lbs of cargo on them. The foam will compress harmlessly when carrying a load, and your seats will be fine when you need to carry passengers again.
BestmpgxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
whitej47

whitej47 will become famous soon enoughwhitej47 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to whitej47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestmpgxB View Post
The way to get the rear seats completely flat is to remove the seat covers and shave the extraneous foam away. But it doesn't sound like a flat cargo area is your real concern.
This would not be a good idea as the covers will not fit properly once reinstalled. I can tell you have never removed the back seat material on our cars. There is no such thing as "extraneous" material as far as foam goes...
whitej47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
BestmpgxB
Pishtaco

True, but some people are more goal oriented. I had a boss who didn't like the cushioning of his drivers seat in his Toyota FourRunner. He sliced through the leather seat cover, added or removed some material, and sealed it back up with duct tape!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
CargoBox

I'm thinking about replacing them with the rear seats of a pontiac vibe. Hit the junk yard. Seems like a big job but would be cool if it works, im not sure if the seats fit tho
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
BestmpgxB
Pishtaco

Only one way to find out. Let us know. A quick poke with a measuring tape should at least let you know if the track rails and seat widths will be close. G/L.