Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Introductions
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
tpresti

tpresti is on a distinguished road
Charcoal Can Assembly

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. My 2006 XB has been a great car until now. The charcoal canister assembly has failed at 45k which is out of warranty. The dealer wants $450.00 for the part and $100.00 to install. Has anyone heard of this part failing at low mileage and is there a less expensive fix. Thanks.

Tony

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
awinter
NorCal - East Bay Area

awinter will become famous soon enough
Re: Charcoal Can Assembly

Do you routinely overfill or "top-off" your gas tank when filling up? If so, this can lead to premature failing of your canister. You should try looking for 2nd gens on Craigs List that are being parted out, otherwise, you'll need to purchase from the Dealer. If someone here has a pdf of how to do the install, I'm sure you can do this yourself and save the $100 that the dealer would have charged you.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
awinter
NorCal - East Bay Area

Damn, could have sworn that 6 http://www.clubxb.com/forums/newrepl...ly&p=537860was an eight lol. Yeah, first gen you should be able to find one pretty much anywhere, ebay, craigslist, etc.

BTW - Here's more info on this issue from that 'other' site. Apparently there was a TSB# EG047-06 released for the xA but not the xB even though the issue was identical between the two models.

CEL - Codes P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, & P2419. - Scionlife.com
Old 10-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Black_Box
chop top

Black_Box has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_Box has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Black_Box

^^^ you lost me bro....^^^
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
awinter
NorCal - East Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Box View Post
^^^ you lost me bro....^^^
Not sure what or how that first link was but anyway - there was an issue with the Scion xA and the Charcoal canister. Apparently, the lines were prone to having water leak down inside and either fouling the system or would freeze and crack the canister. Scion issued a TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) for the xA but not for the xB even though they share this same problem. The link I posted had a lot of information with this issue (the bottom link) and discusses some of the work needed to put replacement parts on. I gather that 50% is easy and 50% is a bit more technical but doable by the do it yourselfer.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Black_Box
chop top

ah..i smell what your stepping in!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
tpresti

tpresti is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the information and quick reply. I made the point to my dealer that the X-A problem is identical and referenced the X-A TSB but they just told me I was full of it. I will definitely do this repair myself.

Tony
Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if there is a warranty coverage for something like this in Ohio. This is what i found for a different vehicle (that should't be different for xB though): 2005 model year Highlander charcoal canister is covered under the California
Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 84 months or 70,000 miles,
whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

From TSB: http://www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_...T-EG043-06.pdf
Old 10-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
uprising

uprising is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to uprising

so what does a charcoal canister do?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Black_Box
chop top

It captures fuel vapors and prevents them from escaping to the atmosphere and then stores the fumes and recycles them to the fuel tank or engine intake for combustion as needed.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
awinter
NorCal - East Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Box View Post
It captures fuel vapors and prevents them from escaping to the atmosphere and then stores the fumes and recycles them to the fuel tank or engine intake for combustion as needed.
What he said LOL!

System Overview

The Evaporative Control (EVAP) System captures any raw fuel evaporating from the fuel storage system (e.g. the fuel tank, the filler neck, and fuel cap). Under precise operating conditions dictated by engine temperature, speed, and load, the EVAP system stores and purges these captured fuel vapors back into the combustion process.
How Part Functions in The System

The Evaporative Control System is designed to not only capture, store and purge any raw fuel vapors that leak from any areas of the Fuel Storage System but also to run a series of self-tests that confirm or deny the Operational and Vapor Holding ability of the System.

The Charcoal Canister is the vapor holding device for the Evaporative System. It is usually a plastic enclosure that contains a large block of Activated Charcoal. Activated Charcoal is Charcoal that has been treated with Oxygen to greatly increase its ability to absorb and hold Fuel Vapors by opening up tiny pores between the Carbon atoms that make up ordinary Charcoal. The containment of Fuel Vapor is an important task because at least 20% of the Vehicle produced Air Pollution originates from malfunctioning Vehicle Fuel Storage Systems. If it weren't for the presence and vapor holding ability of the Charcoal Canister, the Fuel Vapors would leak into the atmosphere. The Charcoal Canister can be located by the Fuel Tank, in the Engine Compartment or inside a front or rear Fender. Since the Charcoal Canister is subjected to moisture and temperature changes, its vapor holding ability must be leak tested on a daily basis

There are many ways for vehicles to 'leak test' the components in the Evaporative System, but most perform the leak test either when the vehicle is sitting, say over night, or shortly after initial start up after the vehicle has been sitting over night. The Evaporative Systems operational performance is also tracked by the Power Train Computer by reading the change in the Oxygen Sensor voltages and Short Term Fuel Trim when ever the stored Vapors are released or 'purged' back into the combustion process. These values should indicate that fuel is being added to the system and that the over all mixture is getting richer. The purging process occurs when the vehicle is under acceleration, which is when most vehicles require additional fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I wonder if there is a warranty coverage for something like this in Ohio. This is what i found for a different vehicle (that should't be different for xB though): 2005 model year Highlander charcoal canister is covered under the California
Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 84 months or 70,000 miles,
whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

From TSB: http://www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_...T-EG043-06.pdf
Unfortunately, this doesn't look like it would be covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty (8 yrs / 70K miles) since it's not listed as a major component of the emissions system.

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

Last edited by awinter; 10-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Normally the canister would be covered for 2 years/24K miles. Since Toyota had many failures (and complaints to EPA about it) they agreed to extend warranty coverage for some models like in the link to TSB i posted.
Properly fixing the issue may be expensive but you can take few steps to save $$.
1 Make sure the failure is actually related to TSB for xA (what CEL codes it triggered, no physical damage to canister).
2 Print out the TSB even though it's not for xB and bring it to the dealer. Explain to them your situation, ask if they would be able to only charge you for labor and have the factory cover the parts (yes, they can do that sometimes)
3 If dealer does not cooperate contact Toyota asking them to cover repairs and nicely mention that you intent to complain to EPA, etc. about this issue.
Closed Thread