Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Scion xB - Generations > 1st Gen: 2003 - 2007 Scion xB > Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
kyle_yokomo

kyle_yokomo is on a distinguished road
VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on?

My 05 xb just had the VSC and TRAC OFF light come on at the same time on the center console, Manual says take the car to the dealer if this happens, but is ok to keep driving.

Does anybody know what this means? Can I fix it myself?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
hotboyalzee
Double Backflipper

hotboyalzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hotboyalzee
Re: VSC and TRAC OFF lights came on?

does your check engine light come on too? if so i'd go over to autozone and use their obd2 code reader to see whats causing the problem. hopefully this helps.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
no_lines

no_lines is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to no_lines

have u messed with your intake? i know when i took mine apart to put a new one on mine came on, if so i think u can just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and it should cut off
Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
kyle_yokomo

kyle_yokomo is on a distinguished road

They came on with the check engine light as well, so all three lights are on. I havent messed with anyting with the intake, Ill try to disconnect battery and see what happens.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
MXVRIS

MXVRIS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MXVRIS

mine have been on for a while and it threw a p0420 code, something about the readings of the o2 sensors. i just replaced my air filter and spark plugs and they dissapeared. mind you those 3 lights were on for almost 6months and they are now gone
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
HaoleXB

HaoleXB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HaoleXB

DO A SEARCH YO! there are like 50 topics on this. the ONLY WAY to find out what is wrong is to have the codes scanned.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Mercinary_69

Mercinary_69 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mercinary_69

ever since i redid my intake mine have been on. and that was a year ago my dealer did a check and he said that they didnt mean ****. he told me it was the mass air flow sensor was just reading wrong but it wouldnt hurt anything. but the whole disconecting battery didnt work.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
triigg

triigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to triigg

hold down the ODO button on your gauges. with the car off, and then while holding down that knob, turn the ignition on to ACC. and it should reset the cluster. there will be 5 little bars flashing where the mileage is, it should turn off those lights. I hope this helps, its helped me in the past.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
ahughejazz24

ahughejazz24 is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to thread jack...but my VSC, TRAC OFF, BRAKE AND ABS lights came on after the Fuscion Garage Sale in Covina. I hit a huge bump on the I-10 on-ramp off of Azusa. I'll never take that on-ramp ever again, but anyways, after hit that huge bump my lights came on. Any idea what it could be? I checked all the brake lines and rear hub plugs and they all seem to be fine. Should I just take it a Shell gas station or somewhere where they offer "Free Check Engine Light Inspection"? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Addicted2theBOX
(Polar) White Toast

Addicted2theBOX is on a distinguished road

i was replaceing my sparkplugs and then was checking the air filter to see if it needed replaced and it did not. so i put it all back together and my VSC, check engine, and track off light came on. im going to autozone right now to get it checked out...ill get the code and the info from them and then post it here

no need for autozone...i just unplugged my battery for 5minutes or so...and now its fine

Last edited by Addicted2theBOX; 09-30-2008 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
1tappedxb

1tappedxb is on a distinguished road

I am goin threw a world of crap right now....I threw the lil stooges.....code is a po420...replcaed both o2 sensors still throwing the code...next step is the stock airbox back in... otherwise its the cat....so I will have to dig to find a cat by wed so I can try emissions again...no idea what happens on the second fail....stupi obd2
Old 10-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
mntegra01

mntegra01 is on a distinguished road

I just had this problem... I replaced my sparks plugs, oil and filter, and my AIR FILTER, and tranny fluid to Royal Purple Gear Oil.

I have 40K miles on the box and its my first air filter change and spark plug change. and about 30 miles later my thress stooges came on.

took it to advance auto and they read it as code saying it was my primary O2 sensor. I noticed my MPG drop to 27 recently...

Maybe it was my dirty ass air filter, So I unhooked the battery and let it sit and discharged the electrical by hitting the brakes. and then hooked the battery back up and the CEL was gone. I let the motor Idle for about 10-15 mins so that it would relearn or reprogram its self with the clean air filter and all the new elements I put in the box. So far the light didnt come back on and I am back at work today and If I dont post back, It solved my problem.

Good luck with this guys!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tappedxb View Post
I am goin threw a world of crap right now....I threw the lil stooges.....code is a po420...replcaed both o2 sensors still throwing the code...next step is the stock airbox back in... otherwise its the cat....so I will have to dig to find a cat by wed so I can try emissions again...no idea what happens on the second fail....stupi obd2
P0420 code stands for "Catalytic Converter Efficiency below threshold" So why would you replace both O2 sensors and waste $$ and time? OBD2 system is smart and basically pinpoints the problem for you (in this case anyway).
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
1tappedxb

replaced cause you always start simple and go from there....maybe your made of money but I'm not...that and 4 different places said to try that first....if in fact they could be bad....I also researched it on the web and it stated those could be the problem.....after replacing those and the light still being there, thats after having them reset, it has been determined its the cat.....now if you would like to find a oem replacement cat for the price I paid for the sensors so be it but you won't. trust me....

also be undoing the battery, or pulling the fuse, which does the same thing and is easier, will clear the lights not the code.....the system has to be cycled to gather its data, then it throws the lights if needed...thats from the dealership so if I'm wrong feel free to contact Scion of Colchester in CT
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Not made out of money and who is, anyway? That's precisely why i dont feel or recommend anyone going against the proper OBD2 system's procedures. Someone GUESSED it can be something other than the Cat? Try taking it to better mechanics next time because the ones who gave you their uneducated opinion are no good.

Last edited by PCH; 10-06-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
1tappedxb

dude get a clue and do your research before you come on here blasting crap....I was at 2 different dealerships....both saying the same thing...matter of fact....3 since the place that did the testing is a dealership as well.....if you have a way of helping someone cool...otherwise I really don't think your uneeded opinion is wanted

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

here....

this way YOU can give your uneducated opinon a change or start by sending me some cash to repair it your way.....but since its NOT your car....and your NOT gonna send money....please next time someone has a post give then help instead of blasting...showing of the true person you are...

so here is a smile :O) I think you might need it....

Last edited by 1tappedxb; 10-07-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
ogerdgonz
Authorized Vendor

ogerdgonz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ogerdgonz

FYI Dealer mechanics do not always know what a code means. They go off what their past experience says to check and start guessing from there. PCH has helped many people on this forum diagnose problems via the code the computer shows. The dealer wants you to BUY the oxygen sensor from them so they make money as they try to diagnose or should we say guess to fix your car. Many times the process of changing an O2 sensor will result in slightly cleaning the exhaust and the new O2 sensor has no carbon buildup on it. This results in better catalytic converter efficiency and that is why the code stops for a while. It will come back when the carbon builds up again.

So that is why changing the O2 sensor works as a band aid for the problem but it will come back and the dealer loves that. They are not always there to help us fix our cars they are there to make money off you. Remember that.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
1tappedxb

wth....I went off what I researched and I did...I did the replacing not the dealers.....you guys really need to lighten up and stop always trying to prove everyone else wrong....

I have plenty of people here .... oh screw it whats the use ...there are people on here that just feed off of fighting and crap....your right I'm wrong and so are the toyota mechanics, the guys at the shops I deal with auto zone, advanced auto and the computer that gave me the code...oh and lets not forget the internet....where i founds other USEFUL help....unlike the crap I have gotten here

once again when a fellow xB owner asks for help, if you can't help, or might have a possible solution stfu
Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
PCH
06.5 TCM

ClubxB is here to help and dealer is usually there to make $$. I am sorry you went through unneeded replacements of the O2 Sensors and i understand your frustration. At this point you can only do the right thing and replace the Cat. How many miles on yours? may be a chance for a warranty replacement?
Ogerdgonz, thanks BTW

Last edited by PCH; 10-07-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
ogerdgonz
Authorized Vendor

ogerdgonz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ogerdgonz

I am not fighting with you I was only trying to explain to you what PCH was telling you. It is not that they are wrong they temporarily fixed your problem but it will come back.

We are here to help you this site is the most helpful out there. It is not like the other ones so you do not need to be so defensive and read the posts like we are attacking you.

Remember text only takes on the connotation that you want it to, if you are preparing yourself to be attacked like on other sites you will read everything as being an attack rather than trying to be helpful.
Closed Thread