Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Scion xB - Generations > 1st Gen: 2003 - 2007 Scion xB > Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
Iateacricket
Wandering Jackhole

Iateacricket is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Iateacricket Send a message via Yahoo to Iateacricket
Re: Traction control

If you swap out your steering wheel it will disable VSC and TCS, I never got a CEL from it.
Iateacricket is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iateacricket View Post
If you swap out your steering wheel it will disable VSC and TCS
I used MOMO hub and didn't loose Trac or VSC, only had to connect resistors in place of the airbag.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #23
gravebox

gravebox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gravebox

TRAC and VSC are essentially the same thing. difference is, Trac is meant to even out power when one of the power wheels are slipping where as VSC is meant for harsh cornering and you are going too fast to take the corner.

VSC is activated when the rear tires begin to slide. without VSC, an inexperienced driver will fish tail the a$$ end of the vehicle and go off the road. VSC beeps at you to let you know that you need to slow down in order to come out safely. if you take this system out and you don't have the experience to drive without this helpful system... you will find your self as part of a decoration on the on coming brink wall with nice artwork done on it...

just remember, VSC on a FWD is pretty much an essential system to have, specially on our xB considering there is only around 500lbs of weigh on the rear wheels when it's just you in the vehicle and no rear passengers. 75% of the xB's weight is all on the front end so just be careful if you intend on disabling that system. if we were RWD or AWD, it would be a completely different story and wouldn't be as much of a dangerous move to do.
gravebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
ltroy

ltroy is on a distinguished road

I've had a similar problem.
I have a 08 XB and my VSC light was coming on maybe once a week when making a right turn, but it wasn't a necessarily sharp turn. When I went in for my oil change I had Toyota look at it and $250 later they said it's my Yaw Rate Sensor and it has been tampered with since I installed a sub under the drivers seat where the sensor is located. He then said it wouldn't be warrantied and a new senor is needed and will cost additional $900 installed. I said "no way, I can live with it", but as I drove away the light is now on 100% of the time.
So, I need a new sensor, with bracket.
If you know where to get a cheap 08 yaw rate sensor it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, this is my first post.
ltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
chrisdesil

chrisdesil will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltroy View Post
I've had a similar problem.
I have a 08 XB and my VSC light was coming on maybe once a week when making a right turn, but it wasn't a necessarily sharp turn. When I went in for my oil change I had Toyota look at it and $250 later they said it's my Yaw Rate Sensor and it has been tampered with since I installed a sub under the drivers seat where the sensor is located. He then said it wouldn't be warrantied and a new senor is needed and will cost additional $900 installed. I said "no way, I can live with it", but as I drove away the light is now on 100% of the time.
So, I need a new sensor, with bracket.
If you know where to get a cheap 08 yaw rate sensor it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, this is my first post.
Tried taking the speaker box out and going to a different dealer? Also, they may have disconnected the senor while the car was on causing the light to
stay on permanently. Should try resetting the ECU as a temporary fix.
chrisdesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
ltroy

ltroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdesil View Post
Tried taking the speaker box out and going to a different dealer? Also, they may have disconnected the senor while the car was on causing the light to
stay on permanently. Should try resetting the ECU as a temporary fix.
It is still connected. I also have it secured so it doesn't bounce around. I think it just needs to be reset but Toyota/Scion says I need a whole new yaw rate sensor with bracket. I will try another dealer. How do I reset it?
ltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #27
gravebox

some try by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes which really isn't the right way to do it because it resets everything, what's it's learned of your driving habits and all that.

if you have an OBDII reader, they generally have a reset or "clear" button on them. if you don't have one, go to Harbor Freight and pick up one from there. it's the Gen2 one you want it's like 40 bucks but it'll do the job for sure and be real useful.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
jonnywoop

jonnywoop is on a distinguished road

Has anyone found out how to stop this? I removed the 40Amp ABS#1 fuse, so the car no longer break checks me. But the annoying alarm keeps going off. I just swapped the steering wheel. Ughhh it looks soo good i wanna keep it.
jonnywoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywoop View Post
I just swapped the steering wheel.
Did you have to remove the airbag spiral cable assembly from under the new hub?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
gravebox

^^that would be VSC kicking in.

i'm going to pull an older brake assist system from an echo that doesn't have VSC. with all the snow in my area, VSC locking my brakes and cutting throttle is REALLY not a good thing. that's the reason why my xB was in the shop this last time :/

if you swapped the steering wheel, then you need a dumy load on the air bag sensor. otherwise you'll be constantly throwing a code and it will cause VSC to trigger prematurely.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
jonnywoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Did you have to remove the airbag spiral cable assembly from under the new hub?
No i still have the air bag hub on to fill up the space behind the new steering wheel hub. Im going to try and unplug the 3 wires connecting to it. Hoping that does something.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
PCH
06.5 TCM

Did you install the resistors like shown here: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f17/diy...ght-17081.html ?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #33
jonnywoop

Quote:
Did you install the resistors like shown here: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f17/diy...ght-17081.html ?
No, i didnt even see that! You think that will help?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #34
PCH
06.5 TCM

Whenever you remove the airbag this trick is a must do.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
jonnywoop

Quote:
Whenever you remove the airbag this trick is a must do.
Well then, looks like im going to the store now! thanks again! After i get this figured out next is getting the horn to work! Found the DIY on that!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #36
PCH
06.5 TCM

You can also disconnect the Yellow connector from the spiral cable and connect the resistors there instead. May be more convenient than jamming them inside the hub, but it's up to you:

2 pairs of wires need to have the resistors hooked up to. One pair is Yellow and Yellow/Black and the other is Yellow/Violet and Yellow/Orange.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #37
jonnywoop

Quote:
You can also disconnect the Yellow connector from the spiral cable and connect the resistors there instead. May be more convenient than jamming them inside the hub, but it's up to you:

2 pairs of wires need to have the resistors hooked up to. One pair is Yellow and Yellow/Black and the other is Yellow/Violet and Yellow/Orange.
I just tried to do what is shown in the DIY, went and got 2 3 ohm resistors and plugged them into the air bag wires and still nothing?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
PCH
06.5 TCM

Disconnect the battery for a minute. Is the ABS fuse back in?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #39
jonnywoop

Quote:
Disconnect the battery for a minute. Is the ABS fuse back in?
I drive alot on a major highway, so i havent had a chance to really unplug and the battery and plug it back in. Will try tomorrow. Do you have a pic of what your talking about with the yellow connector?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #40
PCH
06.5 TCM

You can stick the resistors in the back of the yellow connector in the pic i posted. Just need to be sure they make a good contact with the pins. But it's basically the same as connecting them inside the hub.