Scion xB Home

Go Back   Scion xB Forum > Scion xB - Generations > 1st Gen: 2003 - 2007 Scion xB > Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance
Scion xB Engine, Tech, & Performance Discuss Scion xB engine, tech, & performance related topics here. Scion xB performance upgrades like Scion xB exhaust, Scion xB turbos and supercharges. Anything to make your Scion xB go fast!!!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
85urquattro

85urquattro is on a distinguished road
Check engine light:

Hello-this is my first post...

I have an '06 xB with 50K miles and it recently was in for service as I had a check engine light appear. It is code P043E/P043F water leaking into canister.

They are quoting $500 for replacement of the canister, filter, and shield.

Is this a legit problem that truly requires $500 of parts/labor? I have seen mention of getting this error after driving through water....

Thanks.

Mark

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Liesjemt

Liesjemt is on a distinguished road
Welcome Mark.

Sorry I donít have an answer for you, but Iíll give you a bump.
A lot of shows & whatnot today, hopefully more folks will login soon.

Oh yea, did you personally see this code or is that just what they told you?
If you didn't see it yourself I would try hitting up your local autoparts store & having them pull the codes just to verify they get the same message.

At around 50K I believe you would normally be seeing a check engine light just to remind you its time for regular maintence. . .
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
85urquattro

85urquattro is on a distinguished road
Re: Check engine light:

I didn't see the code personally, but I was assuming they were telling the truth. If that is the case, it sounds like I may need to spend $500 to get this resolved?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
blimey
RS 4.0 #1130

blimey is on a distinguished road

Evap canister? If it is would that be part of the emissions?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough
Re: Welcome Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesjemt View Post

At around 50K I believe you would normally be seeing a check engine light just to remind you its time for regular maintence. . .
Check Engine is there to indicate that there is a problem with engine control/emission control system. Mileage does not make it to be turned ON.
EVAP canister is a part of the emission control system. Should be under warranty. Kinda hard to imagine why water would affect it since its at the very buttom of the car anyway. Unless water somehow got into the electrical connectors there.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
borozinski

borozinski is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. Here's a link to a few other people who have the problem. It's actually a TSB on the xA, but not the xB yet. Which is stupid because it's the same freaking part. You can even check out the TSB link that I posted in there and it'll tell you exactly what needs to be changed. Did you actually have all five codes like the TSB did? I've been putting off, getting mine fixed just cause I really hate dealing with the dealerships. Just talked to some dumbass lady today, who doesn't know what the hell she is talking about. Just reiterates what I hate about the stealerships.

Woops... forgot the link, here it is. Nevermind, this forum won't let me post it yet. This is what it tells me.

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 30 or greater. You currently have 17 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.

I hate rules sometimes. I guess they're good to have, it's some retard posting. But come on. I'll send it to you in a PM.

Last edited by borozinski; 02-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
PCH
06.5 TCM

PCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the roughPCH is a jewel in the rough

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
awinter
NorCal - East Bay Area

awinter will become famous soon enough

here's a link: http://wizaz.pl/w-agora/2gr-fe.pdf

Both the Toyota Corolla and Matrix have recalls to fix this part (under warranty).

It is a necessary item to be fixed, I would definitely check to see if your warranty will cover this.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
gravebox

gravebox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gravebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Check Engine is there to indicate that there is a problem with engine control/emission control system. Mileage does not make it to be turned ON.
EVAP canister is a part of the emission control system. Should be under warranty. Kinda hard to imagine why water would affect it since its at the very buttom of the car anyway. Unless water somehow got into the electrical connectors there.
actually, for us, it does at a certain mileage point. i think it's at 3,500miles the check engine light will blink roughly 10 times after start up signifying that you need an oil change. after 5,000miles, it stays solid on.

normally when there is a problem, check engine light, trac control and all come on, specially if it has anything to do with the EVAP system. i know this for a fact because just by disconnecting it, i caused it to happen.

if you go back, you should ask them to physically show you the code on their reader to make sure they're not lying to you to make a buck. it is hard to believe that water would be effecting it when it's... an EVAP canister... it evaporates it's contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinter View Post
here's a link: http://wizaz.pl/w-agora/2gr-fe.pdf

Both the Toyota Corolla and Matrix have recalls to fix this part (under warranty).

It is a necessary item to be fixed, I would definitely check to see if your warranty will cover this.
the PDF you linked is for the 2GRFE engine, not the 1NZFE.

Last edited by gravebox; 02-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
PCH
06.5 TCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravebox View Post
actually, for us, it does at a certain mileage point. i think it's at 3,500miles the check engine light will blink roughly 10 times after start up signifying that you need an oil change. after 5,000miles, it stays solid on
Check Engine light and the Maintenance reminder light are two different things.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
gravebox

gravebox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gravebox

ahh right, was thinking of the wrong light.

though i still stand to it triggering Trac control and VSC along with the check engine light. when i disconnected my EVAP solenoid switch it triggered the trio-light group and threw two codes, one for the canister and one for the solenoid. i plugged it back in, reset the code and it was fine and dandy...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Liesjemt

Liesjemt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravebox View Post
ahh right, was thinking of the wrong light.

though i still stand to it triggering Trac control and VSC along with the check engine light. when i disconnected my EVAP solenoid switch it triggered the trio-light group and threw two codes, one for the canister and one for the solenoid. i plugged it back in, reset the code and it was fine and dandy...
ditto

does anyone know if the original creator of this thread resolved things?
Closed Thread